polished wood

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
ksenter

polished wood

Post by ksenter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Found a tutorial online to polish the rather bland wood that Henry sends their rifles out in. The American Walnut they chose is a beautiful wood, but its so flat you cant see the real beauty in the wood. By going through the polishing process, you can bring out a deep beautiful grain structure that catches light like a stained glass window....okay, maybe not quite like that, but you get the point. Hah!

before:

after:

really simple process involving just a lil elbow grease (if you're impatient, you can do what I did...more on that in a moment) using Meguiars ScratchX as a polish. Using a rag, focus on a 6in square area in tiny circles to polish the finish. You will see a great polish to the finish. BUT...if you're impatient as I am, you can put a polishing pad into your drill and go to town as such. I think I spent an honest 20-30 minutes to the stock and forend and achieved the above results.

disclaimer: I havent tried this on any other finishes so Im not too sure how it would work on others. I have an extra mossberg shotty stock on the workbench that isnt being used and I will try it out on that one as well.

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Re: polished wood

Post by 305tillimoved » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:14 am

Nice wood!
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill