Chinese Type 53 Stock Refinishing Project.

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
Krozi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Chinese Type 53 Stock Refinishing Project.

Post by Krozi » Sun May 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Some of you that have Type 53’s know how bad these stocks can be…
Mine was pretty damn chewed up with nasty dings, deep scratches, and chips. The stock was also soaked, I mean SOAKED in Cosmoline. The entire stock was covered with a dried layer of this stuff and just looked awful. So I removed all the metal fittings/springs/etc and started grinding away. I really wish I would have gotten much better “before” pics, but it only dawned on me that I could make this into a write-up about 10minutes into sanding. This is what the stock looked like after some really rough preliminary sanding.

To give you a better idea of what the stock looked like beforehand, here’s the handguard. The entire rifle looked exactly like this handguard, just totally beat. I never expected to actually get any decent finish back out of this stock, but the wood wasn’t cracked or rotted so I gave it a shot.

Here are some pics after about 45 minutes of sanding. Most of the factory stain and finish was stripped by now, but the wood was still soaked through with grease. You could tell by the sanding dust that was clumping together.

Sanding wasn’t going to remove the dings in the wood, so I went ahead and torched the entire stock piece by piece. This is a pretty unconventional way of going at it, but it’s worked well for me and it’s extremely efficient. It’s pretty easy to mess things up and really scorch the wood, so you have to very diligent and careful. Torching the stock did a couple things, it baked out the imbedded grease, lifted the dings, and dried/charred the top layer of wood; making it much easier to sand off to reveal the surprisingly beautiful grain underneath. Here are some pics of the process, along with a before/after shot on the buttstock. Did you know that burnt Cosmoline smells like burnt popcorn?
Before
After

Next up was a chipped piece of the stock. I wood glued it back on, secured it in place, and let it sit for a couple hours to cure. Then I sanded off the excess glue and it came out looking pretty good!

At this point, 90% of the sanding was complete. It took quite some time to get to this point, but I was very happy with the results so far.

Next step was to put a nice stain in the wood. I was contemplating just leaving the natural color of the wood and sealing it off, but after mounting the action in the stock; the wood looked too light. So after a couple coats of stain and sealer I was left with a nice satin finish. Exactly what I wanted. I’m not a big fan of the glossy finish you normally see on Mosin Nagants, I like a natural look with a nice satin sheen. I was going to re-blue the sling holes, but I actually ended up liking the polished look they got during the sanding process.

Unfortunately the handguard was beyond repair since there was a nice long crack down the center :-k So the hanguard you see in the assembled rifle pics below is actually from a M44 for a temporary fix. I have another hanguard ordered.

There you have it, arguably the nicest Type 53 around. [smilie=011.gif]

Throughout the past years I’ve learned a lot about stock refinishing, and have decided to start doing it on the side for people who don’t have the time or patience. If you’d like to get a stock refinished, just send me a PM and I’m sure we can set something up.

Thanks for looking, take care!
-Marc
Last edited by Krozi on Sun May 05, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorant Earth Polluter by Choice and Popular Demand.

Enoch
BANNED

Re: Chinese Type 53 Stock Refinishing Project.

Post by Enoch » Sun May 05, 2013 6:22 pm

I don't know what the hell ya did, but that s';t looks NICE!!
"Try to walk into any average church and see how long it takes them to start pumping money out of you... Just like a titty bar, but with uglier people" - Razorbuc

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun May 05, 2013 6:54 pm

I've read a number of people that say that cosmoline saturating a stock requires a lot of sweating out with heat. Did you have any trouble with cosmoline after sanding, and did you need to bed the rifle after sanding so much wood off of it?
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:28 pm

I did the same thing with my Type 53 about 3 years ago, except I skipped a few steps, put gun in a black trash bag in the hot car for 2 days, it baked almost all the cosmo out, then I sprayed it down with EZ-off oven cleaner, this not only raised all the dents but ripped the oil out of the stock fibers, then washed it with purple power and left it to dry in the sun...one quick coat of BLO ( boiled linseed oil ) and put it back together, the stock doesn't look new, still retains some character, but its cleaner in my book

I'd be afraid to torch a stock like that [-(
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Krozi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Krozi » Sun May 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:I did the same thing with my Type 53 about 3 years ago, except I skipped a few steps, put gun in a black trash bag in the hot car for 2 days, it baked almost all the cosmo out, then I sprayed it down with EZ-off oven cleaner, this not only raised all the dents but ripped the oil out of the stock fibers, then washed it with purple power and left it to dry in the sun...one quick coat of BLO ( boiled linseed oil ) and put it back together, the stock doesn't look new, still retains some character, but its cleaner in my book

I'd be afraid to torch a stock like that [-(
Yea I've used the hot car method a bunch of times in the past, both to cook out cosmoline and to cure a new finish.
Not sure if the car method would have worked for this stock, the grease was soaked in pretty damn deep, but I guess we'll never know [smilie=011.gif]

As for the fire, it works very well and very fast if you're careful. I've never messed up a stock using this method and it generally cuts down on sanding time a lot. That being said, most stocks I do are much less labor intensive and don't require this method.

Krozi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Krozi » Sun May 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:I've read a number of people that say that cosmoline saturating a stock requires a lot of sweating out with heat. Did you have any trouble with cosmoline after sanding, and did you need to bed the rifle after sanding so much wood off of it?
All the sanding I did was on the outside surfaces of the stock so bedding wasn't necessary. I just wiped down and extracted some of the grease on the inside of the stock...nothing super aggressive.

ksenter

Post by ksenter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:26 pm

rehost the pictures