Cracked Stock fix

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Cracked Stock fix

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sat May 04, 2013 2:51 pm

After reading a lot of information, I've decided to try to repair an old colt stock that has a small crack. Here pictures of the entire stock after I stripped it and soaked it in acetone (I intend to wait a couple of weeks and then attempt to leech more oil out of it).

There are a couple of repairs I intend to do to the stock, but I thought the crack should be addressed first. Here are some pictures:

As you can see, the crack runs along the left side of the stock, right along the tang cut out (more noticable on the top cutout). However, it goes beyond the tang screw hole.

I think I need to drill, acraglas, and dowel the crack, but I'm not sure of the angle and the depth I should go. It seems to me I should drill at the start of the crack, parallel to the left side of the tang cutout. However, the crack drifts toward the right of the tang as it passes the tang screw hole. Does my drill out and dowel have to stay on the same path as the crack? That seems reasonable, but I am real sceeerd that I am going to drill right through the side of the wood.

Alternatively, I am thinking of drilling two holes on the y-axis (perpendicular to the crack), and then one more at an angle into the body starting near the tang screw hole and the ending at the depth of the crack.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

JohnMeridith

Re: Cracked Stock fix

Post by JohnMeridith » Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 pm

I have a couple of sks stocks I need to fix up so I have kinda studied this guys stock fix

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=117288.15

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sat May 04, 2013 4:27 pm

If you haven't been there yet, surplusrifle forum has a nice stack of posts about stock repair.
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=137

I understand the idea behind it all, I'm just concerned about the actual drilling -- where to drill and how deep to go.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

JohnMeridith

Post by JohnMeridith » Sat May 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:If you haven't been there yet, surplusrifle forum has a nice stack of posts about stock repair.
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=137

I understand the idea behind it all, I'm just concerned about the actual drilling -- where to drill and how deep to go.
Concerns me too. With my limited amount of finesse drilling, I might as well break my stocks over my knee. :-k