Nickel Plating

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Nickel Plating

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:44 pm

As a project gun for rust bluing, I bought a very poor condition Colt 1903. The pitting has turned out to be much worse than I though at first. Not that I've taken off as much metal and rust as I think I safely can, I am thinking this thing should be nickel plated, as I understand that nickel plating tends to cover some of the pitting that is left.

Anyone have any experience with nickel plating a pitted firearm? I'm not into the gun for much, and I really don't want to cerakote such a (rusty) classic, so if nickel could hide some of the pitting, I'd probably have someone do it.

Thanks,
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nickel Plating

Post by John K » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Electroless Nickel will only fill ~0.0025" (a sheet of notebook paper is 0.003"). If the pits are deeper you'll have to Nickel> Copper Electroplate heavy> Polish back to Nickel> Copper Electroplate>Finish Nickel.

The downside is you'll have to mask the engraving somehow.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Nickel Plating

Post by jjk308 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:50 am

Yes, and if they can't polish out the pits the only thing you can do is fill them with weld and then polish flat.
Nothing looks worse than a gun that's plated or blued over pits.

Something you can do is try sand blasting then parkerizing. The sand blast - i used sifted play sand - fuzzes up the outline of the pits so when you put the rough parkerizing on it they are hard to see. Worked great on some Ballisters that had bad external corrosion but were mostly Good+ inside.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.