Sig522 Classic to Commando project

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Sig522 Classic to Commando project

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:25 pm

so I got one of these Sig 522 Classic rifles when it first came out , it was a blast to shoot , about 6 months ago I saw the 522 Commando with the SWAT rails and got to thinking :-k ...now I had seen where guys were taking the 522 pistol and SBR-ing it, and adding a can.....but I wanted make one without spending another $ 400 for NFA, and I'd rather have the 16 inch barrel for accuracy for plinking ...plus, happened to already have the Keneti-tech barrel shroud from another project.

I started with this :
when you remove the hand guards and fake gas block ( HG retainer ) there is a stub area part of the barrel which would have to be removed on the lathe
to this :
then a bushing would have to be made to make up the difference between the barrel and HG retainer
next chop up the HG's, and a new $ 20 HG retainer from Colorado Gun Co. ( upper right corner )
dry fit :
a little OD green to mimic the original SG551 [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
and Voila :
its actually a little darker, the flash messed with the light.

even did one of the mags for the hell of it
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Sig522 Classic to Commando project

Post by mjmensale » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 am

Rentprop1 wrote:...and I'd rather have the 16 inch barrel for accuracy for plinking ...plus, happened to already have the Keneti-tech barrel shroud from another project.
The Kineti-Tech shroud is a fake can that slips over the barrel so the barrel is still 16"? Nice work too! [smilie=cheers1.gif]
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Casual » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:33 am

/:f [smilie=cheers1.gif]
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:08 am

mjmensale wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:...and I'd rather have the 16 inch barrel for accuracy for plinking ...plus, happened to already have the Keneti-tech barrel shroud from another project.
The Kineti-Tech shroud is a fake can that slips over the barrel so the barrel is still 16"? Nice work too! [smilie=cheers1.gif]
Rent PM'd me and verified this. Now I'm going to forward this thread to Carolyn (barrel shroud) McCarthy. [smilie=011.gif]
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

thorazine
Life Member
Life Member

Post by thorazine » Sat May 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Nice work..

We have the same screw driver set.