Any Wine-O's on FSN ?

Discussions on good cigars, fine spirits and your favorite recipes and foods!
Jeepsnguns
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Any Wine-O's on FSN ?

Post by Jeepsnguns » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:53 pm

nicolas wrote:I live a couple hundred miles from the Worlds greatest wine regions..................... of course I love wine [smilie=011.gif]
You live a couple hundred miles from Napa valley California?
And here I thought you were British. [smilie=011.gif]
Regards,
Jon
"If you put your nose really close to the screen and inhale deeply while reading these, you can almost taste the crazy." Waldo1

Tarawa

Post by Tarawa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:46 pm

I second Lakeridge Red Muscadine. But the price is creeping up. Obikwa Sweet Red (SA) is really good also.
Life is for Service

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Any kind of Moscato [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:59 pm

into wine a little bit more aged rum and single malt
however a place in coral springs afficionados has event cigars and wine tasting several guys i shoot with meet up there for events sometime wiht spousal units sometimes not
nice store leather chairs big screen tv

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:48 am

I don't spend a lot on wine, but enjoy a glass or two every late evening. Preferred Livingston Cellars Blush Chablis or White Zinfandel, Gallo will sub.
He who never looks will never see; he who never explores will never learn; he who never speaks will never be heard.

Miamioffshore
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Miamioffshore » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Duckhorn is great stuff
"In God We Trust", everyone else must pass the NICS.
"Repeal the 17th Amendment!"
NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation
GOA Life Member

miamiair

Post by miamiair » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:52 am

I like the California Reds, but the Cakebread Chardonnay is top notch.

Rubicon is fantastic.

Stags' Leap Wine Cellars has been very disappointing lately.

Andretti makes a good Reserve Merlot.

Peju has an awesome Zin.

Chimney Rock, Far Niente, Chateau Montelena, Caymus and Sequoia Grove make very good cabs.

Praeger Port Works makes a fine Port.

I refuse to go back to Napa. They are getting stupid with what they charge for tastings, and the pours are getting smaller.
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. "
Winston Churchill

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:59 pm

I much prefer Washington State to California's wine. :ber

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:05 pm

all Ive ever had that I liked was White Zifandal
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

ger42
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ger42 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Cheap Chianti one glass a day doctors orders. $15.99 a gallon comes with a metal twist top.
NRA Life Member
Get Strong Live Long
"Lord, I seek your wisdom and guidance in making me the person my dogs think I am"

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Moscato in the box here [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:23 pm

rent are you going to lakeland show in april?

usually dont like sangria

had some tonight at casa frida in fort lauderdale that was great with lots of subtle flavors,not too sweet

food was great too

not your typical mexican restaurant

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:00 am

Recently picked up a bottle of "Liberty Creek" white zinfandel at Publix and yet to find another. Quite pleasing. I pick up a "Barefoot" Moscato for the wife and add 25% Sprite.
He who never looks will never see; he who never explores will never learn; he who never speaks will never be heard.

oldknome

Post by oldknome » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:30 am

Anybody ever try any Maryland wine? I try to go up to the wine fest every year, good stuff. I mostly like the sweet stuff but if I ever run into any of you guys I'll bring some if I'm not out. Hard to get down here
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

thorazine
Life Member
Life Member

Post by thorazine » Sat May 11, 2013 5:03 pm

oldknome wrote:Anybody ever try any Maryland wine? I try to go up to the wine fest every year, good stuff. I mostly like the sweet stuff but if I ever run into any of you guys I'll bring some if I'm not out. Hard to get down here
Do you actually have to go in to Maryland to get some?

Or can you have someone hand it over to you while standing safely on the Pennsylvania border? [smilie=011.gif]

oldknome

Post by oldknome » Sat May 11, 2013 7:40 pm

thorazine wrote:
oldknome wrote:Anybody ever try any Maryland wine? I try to go up to the wine fest every year, good stuff. I mostly like the sweet stuff but if I ever run into any of you guys I'll bring some if I'm not out. Hard to get down here
Do you actually have to go in to Maryland to get some?

Or can you have someone hand it over to you while standing safely on the Pennsylvania border? [smilie=011.gif]
heh, I know. It is a communist state now. They only started allowing shipping last year sometime. But they have wine festivals almost every weekend at one of the nearly 30 wineries now in the state. The big state festival is $25 and you can bring your own food and set up a nice space for your group so you can go taste, buy and come back and drink a bottle while munchin' whatever good stuff you brought with. A lot of places make you buy from the vendors
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Fri May 17, 2013 12:38 am

After a haircut today I was headed to pick up a bottle of my favorite wine (the cheap stuff of course). As I began to get into my car, I see Ric's Wine Shop. I entered my first wine shop. I asked Ric where is the Zinfandels or blush chablis. Ric said he did not have any?????????Well I estimated he knew more about wine than the local Publix stockboy so I requested a suggestion for a light red with sweetness without a sugary or dry lingering taste. He led me to an Italian import: bottled by Cantina di Casteggio; a Sangue di Guida. He called it correctly. This will not be an everyday brand, but a nice retreat with fish or Italian. Mid range in price at $14/bottle.

LurkMastR
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LurkMastR » Fri May 17, 2013 8:09 am

hueytaxi wrote:... I entered my first wine shop. I asked Ric where is the Zinfandels or blush chablis. Ric said he did not have any????????? Well I estimated he knew more about wine than the local Publix stockboy so I requested a suggestion for ....
This is a great thing to keep in mind: ASK for suggestions, tell 'em what you like or what you're looking for, and they can usually make some pretty decent recommendations. Every time we wander into the local ABC Liquor store, the 1st thing my wife says is "Where is Karl?" He's the local wine guru and has always made good recommendations. And he usually steers us towards the "value" wines, typically less than $20 per bottle, and often much less.

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Sat May 18, 2013 11:17 pm

About 10:30 I poured a 1/2" into a short open mouth wine glass for my wife to try. She said okay, but she prefers the sugars of a Muscato it seems. I looked up the wine earlier in the evening and bound it was a sparkling variety and the original cork was not reusable. Mu local collection also did not fit the bottle so I decided to finish it tonight and it was a pleasant accompaniment.with some Triscuits and cheese. I'll go back and explore what ric recommends again.

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:39 am

So I'm at the ballpark talking to a friends Italian wife who barely speaks English. I comment about an inexpensive Italian wine I recently discovered. Of course anything Italian interests her and I was asked what it was. I had to think and came up with "Sangue di ....? To which she absolutely glowed responding "Guida"? She nailed it. Under $13 and a nice sweet red import.