Any Wine-O's on FSN ?

Discussions on good cigars, fine spirits and your favorite recipes and foods!
XDTim
Life Member
Life Member

Any Wine-O's on FSN ?

Post by XDTim » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:52 am

Just wondering if there are any grape lovers out there, and what are some of your favorites ?

Tim
The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Simple concept.......UNLESS YOU'RE A DEMOCRAT, APPARENTLY !

- DENNY CRANE ! .........DENNY CRANE ! ................DENNY CRANE !

LurkMastR
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Any Wine-O's on FSN ?

Post by LurkMastR » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:14 am

Grapes are ok, but I prefer them smashed and the juice fermented. [smilie=011.gif]

Wifey & I did a California wine country tour a few years ago in the Sonoma Valley area. It was awesome, and we brought back lots of the really good stuff (the reserves that you can't buy on this side of the US). We joined a couple of the wine clubs, and found some of the small operations to be just as good as the huge common name wineries. The number of wineries out there is mind boggling, but we did find a couple that we really liked: Harvest Moon and Mounts Family Winery. We still order from them on occasion.

Davegot2P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Davegot2P » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:57 am

XDTim wrote:Just wondering if there are any grape lovers out there, and what are some of your favorites ?

Tim
Well, there sure are some Winey Bichez.
Happiness is a warm beltfed, even if it is only 1/2 scale.

armedinpasco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by armedinpasco » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:07 am

I used to enjoy wines of the sweeter variety when I was still a drinking man. Never could understand the appeal of dry wines, with my uneducated palate and all.
Lakeridge Winery in Clermont makes a helluva Muscadine wine, and it's cheap! But too much of it will get you sicker than a tourist in Mexico!
Also used to enjoy the occasional bottle of ice-wine as a treat. (Not so cheap...)
AKA - The Stig
Abusus non tollit usum!

barkingspiders

Post by barkingspiders » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Calloway Coastal- Chard,if you can find it. Clos de Bois- sav. blanc, most beringer reds.
Eagla me' aon olc

BlackJack
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BlackJack » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Nothin finishes up my day like a redneck Merlot (on ice), strictly for medicinal purposes don't you know. After all, there's the cardiac benefit of the anti-oxidents in red wine!

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:59 pm

I live a couple hundred miles from the Worlds greatest wine regions..................... of course I love wine [smilie=011.gif]

Two things I have failed to enjoy in the US a good pint guiness and a decent bottle of wine. The Guiness is only because I've had the black stuff in Dublin and anyone in the know knows thats the place to have it. The wine problem is down to my lack of knowledge of American wine.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:55 pm

remember if it doesn't have a screw on top , its no good [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

type911

Post by type911 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:35 am

Right now me and the wife are drinking Kim Crawford MARLBOROUGH SAUVIGNON BLANC. I like it alot.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:37 am

type911 wrote:Right now me and the wife are drinking Kim Crawford MARLBOROUGH SAUVIGNON BLANC. I like it alot.
drinking already at lunchtime must have had a rough morning [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Nothing better than the fruit of the vine. where is the wine glass toast in the smilies?

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:52 pm

For $3 WM has Turning leaf in different varieties that is actually quite good. I like the Chardonnay and the Merlot to drink; the Cabernet Sauvignon for cooking.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

Chester Field

Post by Chester Field » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:07 pm

I like Sterling's wines. Their Napa cab sav or merlot can be found for about $20 and easily compares to wines at double or better that price (comparable to Frog's Leap cab sav or Swanson merlot for example). They have a Meritage in their Vinters series which is a decent red table wine (blend) at about 2 for $15 at ABC. If you like a quality Cabernet, the Sterling Rutherford Cabernet Savignon runs around 30, but compares to some $50 bottles.

For daily consumption, Banrock Station (Aussie) makes a better tasting cheaper red wine (priced around 6, tastes around 12).

Italian, I like Zuccolo, but it's hard to find. For Italian whites i usually look for a Friuli (NE Italy) Pinot Grigio or similar.

Kenwood's (Sonoma) Jack London series is another good cab in the 40 range. J Lohr makes some good full flavored reds for around 12-14

I haven't had a good pinot noir in about a decade, and have quit gambling on them, so if anyone has a guaranteed winner, I'd appreciate it.

*My response to this thread is not an admission to being a wine-o, as inquired of by the OP. Nor do I claim to be one, although I may have played one on TV
Common Sense: So rare, it's like a super power...

Nimble1

Post by Nimble1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:56 am

Usually go to Napa and Sonoma once a year. Some of our favorites are Peju,Goosecross in Napa.Both small producers. If you are into Zins, Wilson in Sonoma makes some of the best. And most anyting from Rutherford Hill is good.
But if you love Cabs..go for a good cab from the Howell Mountain region...most all of them from that area are great.

thorazine
Life Member
Life Member

Post by thorazine » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:58 pm

I'm all about wine!

I drink only the best of the best,

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:09 am

I have a glass of white zinfandel or blush chablis every evening before retiring.
He who never looks will never see; he who never explores will never learn; he who never speaks will never be heard.

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:33 am

thorazine wrote:I'm all about wine!

I drink only the best of the best, for a poor college student before getting raped by a coach. [smilie=012.gif]

They actually still make this stuff :-k , talk about shelf life.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:27 am

thorazine wrote:I'm all about wine!

I drink only the best of the best,

Keeping OWS infiltrators lubricated thru the years. =D>

CigarGuy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by CigarGuy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:35 am

type911 wrote:Right now me and the wife are drinking Kim Crawford MARLBOROUGH SAUVIGNON BLANC. I like it alot.
Will probably have some of that, today, with the Thanksgiving cod..........
I prefer Sauvignon Blanc's when I do drink white's. And the Marlbourough's are some of the best. I often get a granny smith apple
taste out of them, which I love.

thorazine
Life Member
Life Member

Post by thorazine » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Lastrites!!

That's horrible man lol. [smilie=012.gif]