Smokers.

Discussions on good cigars, fine spirits and your favorite recipes and foods!
confedneck
Life Member
Life Member

Smokers.

Post by confedneck » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:33 pm

What kind do you use? Gas, pellet, electric? Help a brotha out.

Thanks
"Something old, something new, something stainless, something blued" stolen with consent

"Don't Moe me, bro"

Safety Bullet

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Smokers.

Post by Onree » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Big Green Egg.

Don't forget the pizza, upside-down pineapple cake, stir-fry (with use of a wok), pork butt, 20+ pound turkey, pork tender lion, monkey bread, standing rib roast, etc.

/thread
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

Bladesmith2000

Post by Bladesmith2000 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:57 pm

confedneck wrote:What kind do you use? Gas, pellet, electric? Help a brotha out.

Thanks
Charcoal for the heat, hickory for the flavor. Low and slow.
A few smokers we have built: http://www.PartyGrills.com

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Marlboro lights
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

confedneck
Life Member
Life Member

Post by confedneck » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:10 pm

how about sub $200.00? My mom wants to buy me one, but I don't want her to spend a fortune.
"Something old, something new, something stainless, something blued" stolen with consent

"Don't Moe me, bro"

Safety Bullet

ipscscott
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ipscscott » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Bladesmith2000 wrote:
confedneck wrote:What kind do you use? Gas, pellet, electric? Help a brotha out.

Thanks
Hey, were you at that holiday festival thing in downtown Winter Haven a month or so ago? If so, it's possible I may have met you and not known it. Saw the Jeep grill there - VERY cool!
Custom Cerakote/GunKote refinishing and Hydrographic Printing, mild to wild!
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HydroPrintServices
863-797-4226

Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer, for all your NFA goodies
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:05 pm

confedneck wrote:how about sub $200.00? My mom wants to buy me one, but I don't want her to spend a fortune.
Have mom chip in her $200 and you pay the difference. Our large size BGE was about $700. It can easily feed a family of four or five. If you have less folks in your house, you can go with a medium.

If you and the Mrs plan on being up this way at some point and would like a test drive / taste, let me know. I'd be happy show ya'll the in's and out's of our Egg - and feed ya afterward. =:e
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Mine is charcoal but if I had to buy one again, I'd go electric. Maintaining an even temperature with either wood or charcoal requires lots of watching. With electric, you just set the thermostat and come back when you need to add more chips.

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Doyle, while your comments may be true in some case it isn't the case all the time. We often do 10+ hour smokes and the temp stays rock solid. I use a map gas torch to light the Royal Oak natural wood charcoal, let the charcoal burn till the smoke clears, add some wood chips, adjust the temp and walk away. All told the process takes about 10 - 20 minutes depending on several different factors.

mjrodney
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mjrodney » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Agree on the Big Green Egg.

You choke on the price tag until you use the thing.

FWIW, I'm not a "Cult-tist" on anything. It has to work before I throw my hat into the ring in favor of it.

And I throw my hat into the Big Green Egg's ring.

The design hasn't been around for thousands of years without a very good reason.

Yes, I can "smoke" in a cardboard box using a portable electric element and an aluminum pie plate filled with wet hickory chips.

And I can also prevent pregnancy with a piece of Gladwrap.

Bladesmith2000

Post by Bladesmith2000 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:42 pm

ipscscott wrote:
Bladesmith2000 wrote:

Thanks
Hey, were you at that holiday festival thing in downtown Winter Haven a month or so ago? If so, it's possible I may have met you and not known it. Saw the Jeep grill there - VERY cool!
The Jeep Smoker is my brother's. He was at the WH Holiday festival. We built it about 4 years ago. The website is mine though.

TheAlbatross

Post by TheAlbatross » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:06 am

The ultimate low budget smoker has to be a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker or Upright Drum Smoker). Runs on charcoal, using the "Minion method" it should hold temperature steady for a looong time. Here's a link to the traditional starting point/basic construction: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=43943 and to another build thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=83312. Do an internet search for UDS smoker and you'll find a ton of different information and variations on the design. Here's a link to a few of them: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=80125. You'll need a drum without an internal plastic liner, or you'll need to burn it and wire brush it out. I haven't built one yet but I will soon. I'm trying to find an unlined food grade drum. Seems plenty of people use old oil drums but I'm not too crazy about that idea. You could likely buy a new or reconditioned drum and everything needed to build the smoker for under $100.

It won't do high temp to sear for your steak or bake pizza like a big green egg, but it also costs a LOT less. And will do just as well for anything you want to smoke.

confedneck
Life Member
Life Member

Post by confedneck » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:15 am

the uds is cool as heck, i want one, but i am faaar to unskilled and lazy to build one

"Don't Moe me, bro"

Safety Bullet

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:17 am

My vote for the low-budget entry-level smoker is the ECB.

El Cheapo Brinkman

The basic upright charcoal model will cost about $35 or so at WallyWorld. Read the assembly instructions so you understand them but don't follow them exactly.

Several web sites offer ideas for cheap and easy modifications that make it much more manageable.

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecb.html

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewt ... ifications

The most important modification is to put the legs on the outside of the smoker so you can lift it up off the charcoal pan. Make legs for the charcoal pan out of 6- or 8-in long carriage bolts or make a pipe ring as shown on one of the websites above. Drill many small or few large holes in the charcoal pan to improve airflow. Make a wire cage for your wet wood chunks by bending a wire baking rack (cookie cooling rack) into a squared-off "U". Change out the cool-warm-hot gauge for a real thermometer. Drill one large or several small holes in the top and fashion a damper out of a flat piece of tin or aluminum and a bolt.

That's about it. You can go crazier if you wish, but these basic mods will get you a very user-friendly inexpensive charcoal smoker that will last you for at least 2 - 5 years, depending on if you keep it under cover or not.

From there, the cost only goes up. I currently use a gas cabinet-style smoker, but it is very difficult to keep the temperature as low as I'd like for slow-smoking and still get smoke. I tend to add wet wood chips or chunks to the pan, turn up the heat just until the wood starts to smoke, then turn the burner down to low. This actually takes more attention than the ECB, as with the wire basket/rack described above the wet wood chunks are in close proximity to the glowing charcoal.

The trade-off is that I can easily smoke-roast a large cut of meat such as a turkey or ham at oven-like temperatures if I wish. I can roast a turkey at 325 degrees in my gas smoker in the same time that it would take to roast one in the oven, but with that great smoky flavor.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

confedneck
Life Member
Life Member

Post by confedneck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 pm

OK OK OK, going to pick up 3 or 4 55gallon drums saturday, anybody wanna buy one? two are spoken for, but the other one or two are available... UDS to begin shortly

"Don't Moe me, bro"

Safety Bullet

Bladesmith2000

Post by Bladesmith2000 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:56 pm

I have a 250 gallon propane tank in the back yard currently awaiting the plasma cutter and mig welder. I was going to make a rotisserie smoker out of it, but I am not sure I will have the time to go that route with it.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:42 pm

be careful with those 55 gal drums
you better know what was in there and make sure if toxic that not a trace is left
the electric and gas heating units are available
you can find them on line

confedneck
Life Member
Life Member

Post by confedneck » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:58 am

hurricanecharlie wrote:be careful with those 55 gal drums
you better know what was in there and make sure if toxic that not a trace is left
the electric and gas heating units are available
you can find them on line

a 55 gallon drum that has been scrubbed and burned a couple of times would be 100% safe, especially if all it had in it was motor oil... best part being if the barrel has sat outside for 3 years empty and all remnants have drained to the bottom, easy to drain out the remainder, scrub and burn. I have no worries, the neighbors might, when they see the smoke.

"Don't Moe me, bro"

Safety Bullet

freytes2004
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freytes2004 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 pm

A reverse flow smoker I build them and you cant beat the way they cook

Tepis13

Post by Tepis13 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:33 am

If you want a sub-$200 smoker then search your local Craigslist. I have been able to purchase two Weber Smoky Mountain Cookers for less than half of that. It isn't unusual to find someone selling a like new, name brand cooker at a deeply discounted price. Many people buy a new one to give smoking a try and for whatever reason they give up on using it anymore. Good Luck.