Seafood Combo Platters

Discussions on good cigars, fine spirits and your favorite recipes and foods!
hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Seafood Combo Platters

Post by hueytaxi » Tue May 19, 2015 1:27 am

Dined at Harry's in Lakeland last night for our 47th Anniversary. This is one of the few places in CenFla I can order fried shrimp and oysters. At best I can say Harry's is passable, certainly not great. Everything is easily id'd as frozen beforehand. Last night the shrimp was as tough as a sirloin, the oysters just slightly overcooked and the catfish filets with no flavor at all.
So where in CenFla or along the West Coast coast can I find a darn good seafood restaurant? I've done Gary's in Lake Alfred, Jimmy Belle's, Harborside and none offer a decent meal. I do not want clams on the plate.
He who never looks will never see; he who never explores will never learn; he who never speaks will never be heard.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Seafood Combo Platters

Post by flcracker » Tue May 19, 2015 4:09 am

Rusty Belly's. Next door to Pelican Point Seafood at the far west end of Dodecanese past the Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs. Sit outside and watch that day's seafood coming off their boats.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

zalfmon

Post by zalfmon » Tue May 19, 2015 7:05 am

Congrats on 47 years!!

No suggestions for your neck of the woods
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him
than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word,
'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
- C. S. Lewis

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:13 am

Most people at that age and still behind the bars of marriage are taking the spouses to Long John Silvers for anniversary dinners....I'd say your was probably better although not 100 %
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

cj5mrt
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cj5mrt » Tue May 19, 2015 11:00 am

I hear Crazy Fish in Lake Wales is pretty good. I'll find out soon as we're going there for my 50th bday.
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

chris6424
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by chris6424 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:18 am

Willy's in Valrico.

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Wed May 20, 2015 12:33 pm

I did not care for Harry's in Lakeland taste was like frozen sea food nothing nock my stocks off. [smilie=popcorn.gif]
"Spend your energy to keep up and you won't have to waste it catching up"

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Wed May 20, 2015 1:41 pm

I think the best one in the area is now long gone. It was the old place outside of Lakeland that had all the antiques as décor. I think it was called Allen's. I found it by accident once.

cj5mrt
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cj5mrt » Wed May 20, 2015 1:50 pm

You're thinking of Allen's catfish house, IIRC. It was just over the overpass in Auburndale.
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Wed May 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Yes, I think you're right. Good fish and grits.

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Wed May 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Carl "Goo" Allen was one of a kind ans so was hi9s restaurant. It closed back in the late 80's following his death. He was the unofficial county historian; he sponsored annual and regular Bluegrass jams in town and weekends at his restaurant. His "Specials" were just that....you might find rattlesnake, armadillo or possum on the slateboard. He was one of the few places to have alligator regularly.

I tried Cherry Pocket Seafood a few weeks ago, but ate inside so half the ambiance was lost. About 10 years ago I found a fish place out on 60 East of Lake Wales off of Boy Scout Road(?) and I think it was on the river, North of 60. No idea of the name now.
He who never looks will never see; he who never explores will never learn; he who never speaks will never be heard.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Thu May 21, 2015 4:06 am

hueytaxi wrote:About 10 years ago I found a fish place out on 60 East of Lake Wales off of Boy Scout Road(?) and I think it was on the river, North of 60. No idea of the name now.
I believe you're referring to Camp Mack &/or Port Hatchineha.

Try Harry's Old Place & Tanner's Lakeside in Winter Haven.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Fri May 22, 2015 1:43 am

flcracker wrote:
hueytaxi wrote:About 10 years ago I found a fish place out on 60 East of Lake Wales off of Boy Scout Road(?) and I think it was on the river, North of 60. No idea of the name now.
I believe you're referring to Camp Mack &/or Port Hatchineha.

Try Harry's Old Place & Tanner's Lakeside in Winter Haven.
Neither of those. Hatchineha had not been reopened yet and used to launch from there in the 80's. I think Camp Mack is in the area I am recalling. I think tanner's might be the Fire now. Last time (a few months ago) when I tried Harry;s Old Place, the SO and WHPD had the parking lot cordoned off. Never learned what was going on..

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Fri May 22, 2015 3:31 am

Tanner's moved from downtown Winter Haven to the place that was Shrimp Boat Sally's way back in the Stone Age. Across the street from from Old Man Frank's, and behind the new beach bar place. We ate there for Mother's Day, but all they have on Sundays at lunch is a buffet. Wait till later in the afternoon or go any other day. The buffet was OK but not much seafood. Their menu is much better.

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Sun May 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Found today that Fish City grill offers a fried shrimp and oysters combo.

Polk County Hillbilly

Post by Polk County Hillbilly » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:18 pm

Try Catfish Country,98S Lakeland.
Montani Semper Liberi!

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:37 am

Polk County Hillbilly wrote:Try Catfish Country,98S Lakeland.
I was going to but reading mix reviews on Yelp!! [smilie=popcorn.gif]
http://www.yelp.com/biz/catfish-country ... ant-bartow
5/3/2015
After seeing all the great reviews we decided to give Catfish Country a try. Loved the fact that you're greeted by a plate of cole slaw, warm biscuits, and a mason jar of spring onions. Unfortunately that's where the love ended.

Ordered some gator bites to start off and not sure what was wrong with them or what part of the gator they were from but they were a chewy gamey awful mess. I went for the fried catfish and although they weren't bad... With lots of tartar sauce that is... they had absolutely no flavor.

Wife got a fried shrimp platter which she said wasn't bad but again very little flavor.

Very disappointing experience since the main reason we went was to try out the gator bites since my wife had never tried them. Unfortunately I think they were so bad she won't be trying them ever again.

The hostess and wait staff were extremely nice and were on top of everything but unfortunately the food was terrible and overpriced. $50 for a family of 3 with no alcohol or dessert is just not worth it. Especially since the food was pretty bad. We won't be returning...
"Spend your energy to keep up and you won't have to waste it catching up"

wcontratto
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by wcontratto » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:32 am

The Catfish Place in St Cloud has some of the best fried shrimp around.

Would be worth the extra miles if you can't satisfy your shrimp cravings close by.

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 am

I never understand why folks don't complain if they get bad food or small portions....... you don't have to explode or embarrass the serving staff ask to speak to the Manager and express your woes calmly and accurately, I can't remember a time where I didn't get a positive outcome be it a fresh dish/more fries etc or an item taken off the bill. Obviously it is wise to pick your fights but if a place is making out it is 'special' hold their feet to flames and make them deliver.

Also put a negative comment on your Facebook page about a place, if the business gives a s';t someone will contact you for further details.... I had this happen last week and the owner contacted me apologised and offered a free meal, which we decided not to accept. All I said was it wasn't a very good meal, frankly it wasn't even worth complaining about directly to them as it was more a personal taste than quality.

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:32 am

There is a little hole in the wall place at the Talquin Dam west of Tallahassee that is (or at least used to be great). You paid one price for all-you-can-eat fish, a little more for fish and shrimp, a little more for fish, shrimp, and oysters, etc.