Publix Beef

Discussions on good cigars, fine spirits and your favorite recipes and foods!
hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Publix Beef

Post by hueytaxi » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:27 am

I never thought I would write I liked Publix Beef. Normally I avoid it, but twice I have found something unreal. If you can find the cuts labeled "Chuck Eye Steak" you are in for a treat. Just grilled my second pair tonight and equally as good as the first pair. Cut from the 5th rib you will not often find them as I understand you will only find two to a steer. Cut about 1.5" thick and priced under reasonable. Tonight mine were 32.5 oz. for $16.38. Three of us still had leftovers. Now this is not chuck steak. It has similar marbling and the diagonal fat of the ribeye and if seasoned correctly for you, can challenge the taste of the best rib eye. I prepare mine with a little tenderizer, Everglades, soy sauce, fresh ground pepper and fresh crushed garlic. Add a splash of a good bourbon and a quick shot of olive oil as it hits the coals.

I've got a six burner gas grill (mostly stainless shell) that needs to have all the internals rebuilt. Been using charcoal again and not sure I want to invest in all those parts.

Oh and the first pair I did the unthinkable. I heated my skillet until it smoked, added two tablespoons of salted butter and tossed in the steaks. Charring both sides I took them out and put one in the oven at 375° for about 25 min (wife likes MW) and then later mine for 10 min. (R) A big pat of butter again on both.
He who never looks will never see; he who never explores will never learn; he who never speaks will never be heard.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Publix Beef

Post by flcracker » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:18 am

DAMMIT MAN keep such sensitive intel to yourself!! [smilie=033.gif] :ham'r [smilie=slap.gif]

The first rule of Publix chuckeyes is NEVER TALK ABOUT PUBLIX CHUCKEYES!!!

They rarely have more than one pack and often none.

Now all the rest of you loudmouths [smilie=pdt_xtremez_24.gif] better ZIP IT and don't tell your a;;h;;e brother-in-law or your neighbor's wife who you think is hot about Publix chuckeyes!!! =:e
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 pm

Told the spousal unit to watch out for them.
Not to worry,we are far South of your Publix stores.
Do they sell that cut in other stores?

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 pm

I never thought I would say it but I miss Publix beef. Can't get crap for good beef here.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:27 am

whats this thing yet alking about..publix beef..doesnt it come from your back yard? i just walk out back and pick one
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

mohshard
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mohshard » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:06 pm

The chuck eye steaks were $8.79 per lb at my publix. The Flanken, (cross cut short ribs) were $6.79. For me, that's a no brainer. Grilling some flanken (costillas to my cuban hermanos), and making baked potatoes with all the fixings and a salad for dinner tonight.

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:43 pm

I finally found some of these locally. My dinner tonight was supposed to be just like Mohshard's. I worked late so we decided to have all that tomorrow night instead.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:12 pm

not found at our publix today

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:59 pm

They had two packages at my local Publix.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Had these yesterday--good steak, for quality I'd slot them above a sirloin and below a rib eye (a place I'd put a flat iron steak as well, another specialty chuck cut). A good bargain against a regularly priced rib eye, but rib eyes on sale get near enough the price I paid for the chuck eye ($8.59 / lb) that I would choose rib eyes. So, if no rib eye sale, they will be on the list. Rib eye sale, I am probably going that way. I am just a big rib eye fan (definitely over strips, t-bone/porterhouse and the dreadfully overrated filets).

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Palmguy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Palmguy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Never heard of these before but will keep an eye out for them. I'm a ribeye fan and usually pick up a pack when they go on sale every few weeks.

hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hueytaxi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:17 pm

I too was surprised at the $8.79 price recently as i had been paying about $6.59.
He who never looks will never see; he who never explores will never learn; he who never speaks will never be heard.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:00 pm

hueytaxi wrote:I too was surprised at the $8.79 price recently as i had been paying about $6.59 before I started talking about chuckeyes on the internet. #-o
FIFY. :ham'r
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:37 pm

found some at the $8.79.Will report in after eating them.
May try to cook them on open wood fire and Pittsburgh them.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:28 pm

At current price I would not pick one again.
Would get porterhouse at Costco or Western Beef.
Never thought much of Publix steaks before and this has not changed my thinking.
A bit disappointing.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 pm

carvisbeef
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Dick

Post by Dick » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:45 am

hurricanecharlie wrote:At current price I would not pick one again.
Would get porterhouse at Costco or Western Beef.
Never thought much of Publix steaks before and this has not changed my thinking.
A bit disappointing.
publix meat seems like it never has any taste except for seasoning.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:43 am

Agree on the lack of taste. Chuck eyes had little if any taste. They looked nicely marbled to so I don't understand it.
Penn Dutch is better .Costco way better and also bj's and western beef.
Dont know if that cut is marketed in those stores.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:55 pm

The new Whole Foods in Davie had 4 packages. I bought one there to give it a whirl again. Not that much more than Publix and I did not buy that much.

Dick

Post by Dick » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:52 am

The ribeye from whole foods is the pretty good.

Try the Borsari seasoning.