boiled bacon - the BEST way to cook side meat!!!

Discussions on good cigars, fine spirits and your favorite recipes and foods!
flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

boiled bacon - the BEST way to cook side meat!!!

Post by flcracker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:43 am

and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Re: boiled bacon - the BEST way to cook side meat!!!

Post by tector » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:12 am

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Natur ... 000G0KJG4/

+

http://www.amazon.com/CIA-23304-Masters ... 000OFND8W/

+

350°

Unless it is just being cooked up for for incorporation with other dishes (like beans), cooking bacon in a frying pan is for dopes. Comes out WAY more evenly cooked, and flatter, in an oven. I thought this was now a rudimentary cooking skill most people understood. I buy all kinds of really good, dry cured bacon (Edwards, Nueske, etc) and that is the only way I'd make it. If somebody is cooking up that already waterlogged s';t from the store (although Burgers' Smokehouse, at Publix down here, is good), I suppose adding even more water would make no difference, but half the reason to cook up really good bacon is to get the best drippings you can get, for use in other dishes. I am not going to add water to expensive dry cured bacon--that's insane.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Clearly, your bacon budget is fatter than mine! my wife won't let me buy that expensive dry-cured stuff. I cooked a 1 pound pack of Boar's Head bacon this morning using this method. Plenty of grease left in the pan once the water boils off to make perfectly fried bacon with no sogginess the water disappears before the bacon starts to brown.

I ended up with 8 ounces of strained clear bacon grease to use in other recipes.

Try it if you don't believe me. Chewy/crispy, but not crumbly.

Last edited by flcracker on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:23 pm

Unless it is just being cooked up for for incorporation with other dishes (like beans), cooking bacon in a frying pan is for dopes. Comes out WAY more evenly cooked, and flatter, in an oven. I thought this was now a rudimentary cooking skill most people understood
+100 . Much better end product. No messy cleanup (use foil on the cookie sheet).

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:28 pm

But if you are buying dry cured bacon, a deeply smoked bacon, you don't want to do anything to leach out that flavor (unless, of course, you trying to impart that flavor to something else)--that is what you are paying for. On a supermarket bacon, it doesn't matter--it is already pumped with water (wet cured) to begin with.

Edwards send me a bonus bacon last month--they just mailed it two day, unrefrigerated (and it is not canned, just in vacuum pack like you would see at an store) using a flat media mailing envelope. That's how dry cured it is. It is like country ham v. a city ham. They will just mail you a country ham--a few days of non-refrigeration means nothing. A water pumped city ham--totally different product. You'd never treat it like that.

I'm not putting a REALLY good bacon in water. And to me bacon is a treat--I'm buying the good s';t. I guess some people are like that with cigars--I prefer a different vice!
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand