The perils of "reassigned" phone numbers.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO

The perils of "reassigned" phone numbers.

Post by FfNJGTFO »

For anyone here that has knowledge of the Telecom industry and, specifically, Caller ID and the "inner workings" of it:

A year ago, I started a new business (I'm a "Notary Public"). I got a phone number from one of those "secondary" phone no. companies as an app to my smart phone... a "reassigned" number. So far, it has worked well and I can take / give calls/texts on both my primary and secondary (business) numbers, separately. And I'm not getting any errant calls for the previous business... so far, anyway.

Earlier this week, a person tried to call my business number and, for the first time, noticed that the caller ID "Name" from the previous owner had not been cleared and is still attached to the number I received. Thus, when people dial it, it comes up with that name (i.e. "Calling XYZ Co") where "XYZ" is the name of the business that had the number before me.

I need to be able to delete that name and/or its association with my number, or change it to my business name. It's not a "bad/nefarious" name (i.e. "Adult-O-Rama" store), but it's still confusing to people who might call my number looking for my Notary business. The "alternate phone" app company where I got the number from says they have no control over it and cannot help me. They even refused to research the name of the previous carrier so I might call them to see if they might alter it, citing "security reasons." Gotta love that catchall.

Therefore, if anyone here knows anything about how caller ID Names and numbers are managed and can point me in the right direction as to how to get it changed or removed from the number itself, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks much.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I don't work for "The Phone Company" anymore but I believe the carrier that supplied the number should have submitted your information for your new number to the National Caller ID Name Database.

If you want to read about how it works, this is a good source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_information_database Sometimes apps don't pick up updates and so they send out stale info.

You can google National Caller ID Name Database but I am not sure there is a way for a customer to update it as you could submit fraudulent information and make incoming calls look like the Stazi, FBI, or IRS Robbers, or Nigerian Prince are calling.

Looks like services like HiYa have a way to update their stuff, but there are a zillion of these services to update that might have stale info.

I think there is a test web site out there you can try.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Get a Google Voice # and be done with the old #.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

I'm a bit confused. It sounds like the OP is saying that when someone calls him, the caller somehow sees a caller ID that tells the caller that they are calling a different name than OP's business' name.

I have never in my life dialed a number that wasn't already stored in my contacts and seen caller ID tell me who I was calling.

Did I somehow misunderstand the issue?
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

flcracker wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:18 pm I'm a bit confused. It sounds like the OP is saying that when someone calls him, the caller somehow sees a caller ID that tells the caller that they are calling a different name than OP's business' name.
It works both ways. Either if someone calls me (and their phone says, "Caling: XXXXXXXX"), or if I call someone on that number and it shows up on their caller ID.
flcracker wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:18 pmI have never in my life dialed a number that wasn't already stored in my contacts and seen caller ID tell me who I was calling.

Did I somehow misunderstand the issue?
Let me explain, as I have some updates on the issue.

There are companies out there (the largest one is called "Neustar") that maintain Caller ID name databases (CNAM DB). When a number is assigned by a basic carrier, it's their job to update Neustar with a new CNAM entry. In my case, for whatever reason, the provider I use failed to do so, or deliberately refused to do so. And, unfortunately, only that carrier can contact Neustar and order the update. That could be because they just didn't care to (and don't have a mechanism for it), or, they really aren't the true "owner" carrier and are, simply "leasing" the number. Which makes some sense as they refused to tell me if any such carrier exists, citing "security reasons." Yeah, right!

The only thing I can do now is, somehow, convince my provider to contact Neustar and get the CNAM changed. So far, they have resisted this. They offer to re-assign me a new number. That's unacceptable. I'm already using this number in business. I have cards printed, a bunch of different sites updated. It would cost me a fortune to change it now, and I'm not even sure that I'd get a new "re-assigned" number that has the same problem!

Frustrating!

We'll see what happens. I have an email into the parent company that owns the secondary provider, so we'll see what that brings.

R
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Understood now - thanks for the clarification.

Very sorry that you're having to deal with this issue. It would be bad enough with a personal number - potentially costly for your business.

Good luck!
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

flcracker wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:17 pm Understood now - thanks for the clarification.

Very sorry that you're having to deal with this issue. It would be bad enough with a personal number - potentially costly for your business.

Good luck!
Another thought comes to mind. It's possible that when I acquired the number, I did so under a "consumer" plan, not a "business" plant. I was not aware that there was any distinction between the two. They could argue that, because I'm using it as a "business," I need to be on their business plan and pay more $$$. And, in exchange, they'll get the CNAM record updated. I could try to argue that it doesn't matter if I'm a business or not. The CNAM presently does not represent me or any other part of me. They need to change it!

We'll see.

Regards,
Arnold.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

If you figure it out, let me know.

I ported a number from my last employer. I ordered my service at a carrier owned store so they wouldn’t screw it up. They got my name wrong in the system.

The drivers licenses don't have your full name on one line anymore, so everybody seems to muck mine up and put my middle name as my first or last name.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

wjbarricklow wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:13 pm If you figure it out, let me know.

I ported a number from my last employer. I ordered my service at a carrier owned store so they wouldn’t screw it up. They got my name wrong in the system.

The drivers licenses don't have your full name on one line anymore, so everybody seems to muck mine up and put my middle name as my first or last name.
Figured Out, and Problem solved! :D

The CEO of the parent company (the parent that owns the secondary phone service), got involved and authorized a "trouble ticket" into the carrier that has custody of the number. The CNAM has been removed. It was replaced with the name of the town in which the "exchange code" is based (Plant City, FL). That's perfectly fine.

Thanks to all who helped with the info!