Need a place that will blue a cylinder

rug357

Need a place that will blue a cylinder

Post by rug357 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:30 am

I have a S&W 586 that needs the cylinder polished a little and blued.
I see a lot of places that does Duracote and other polymer type finishes but I don't know anyone who does polished blue anymore.
I need to make the cylinder look like this again.

Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Need a place that will blue a cylinder

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 pm

just bluing a cylinder to try and match a frame is virtually impossible, you've got wear on the cyl plus years of oxidation and rust even though you don't see it on the frame, if you just reblue the cylinder it's gonna look like you just had the cylinder blued

if you wanna email me or PM me some pics of how it looks now, I can give it a try, ball park on the entire gun is $ 275 range, just the cylinder probably $ 75 with no guarantee on a match

Ive got this monstrosity on the bench this week, dying for some before and after pics
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

draggindakota
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by draggindakota » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:46 am

Jesus did you dig that thing up out of your drainfield [smilie=011.gif] ?
Why would you want to give away any of your rights or freedoms? Just because one jack wagon doesn't have an elevator worth Andre 3000 doesn't mean that I should have my privileges taken away.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:54 am

draggindakota wrote:Jesus did you dig that thing up out of your drainfield [smilie=011.gif] ?

customers gun.......... it was in a foam case for 10 years, the foam sucks the oil away from the gun and also picks up any humidity, had he wrapped it on a plastic bag even with WD-40 on it it would have been fine.

note how the foam even oxidized the rest of the barrel and frame, he said it was almost perfect when he put it away at his dads house
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
draggindakota wrote:Jesus did you dig that thing up out of your drainfield [smilie=011.gif] ?

customers gun.......... it was in a foam case for 10 years, the foam sucks the oil away from the gun and also picks up any humidity, had he wrapped it on a plastic bag even with WD-40 on it it would have been fine.

note how the foam even oxidized the rest of the barrel and frame, he said it was almost perfect when he put it away at his dads house
Note to self: Don't ever store a gun, or anything metal, in foam for long periods.
Libertas aut mortis!