Ft. Lauderdale gun show.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Ft. Lauderdale gun show.

Post by N4KVE » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:02 pm

Today I went to the Ft. Lauderdale gun show. I don't work that one, but I wanted a chance to walk the show, which I can't do if I'm working. All the vendors were upbeat because of the election results. It was like an AR candy store, & everyone had great deals. The aisles were not crowded, so it was easy to get around. Remember, you don't pay extra for parking. GARY

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Ft. Lauderdale gun show.

Post by 870Mike » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Haven't been to the Ft. Laud show in more than a decade, and won't be back. I'd much rather drive to WPB, and will be there in Dec. =:bye
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

philasteen

Post by philasteen » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:22 pm

870Mike wrote:Haven't been to the Ft. Laud show in more than a decade, and won't be back. I'd much rather drive to WPB, and will be there in Dec. =:bye
Why not? It seems the best of the South Florida shows.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:56 pm

philasteen wrote:
870Mike wrote:Haven't been to the Ft. Laud show in more than a decade, and won't be back. I'd much rather drive to WPB, and will be there in Dec. =:bye
Got a bad taste in my mouf' years ago. Cops attitude at the door, too-narrow aisles, parking $$$, slimy dealers, dirt-bag attendees, etc. [smilie=042.gif]

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:59 pm

It is better than it used to be, although Miami is best overall now. WPB blows, way too much non-gun crap. They all have some, but WPB has a tsunami of it.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Haven't been to Miami yet. Mebee I'll give Ft. Laud another look-see.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:35 pm

870Mike wrote:Haven't been to Miami yet. Mebee I'll give Ft. Laud another look-see.
Miami has nice, wide aisles for one thing. Much better than FTL.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

FIUMAN1

Post by FIUMAN1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:11 am

870Mike wrote:
philasteen wrote:
Got a bad taste in my mouf' years ago. Cops attitude at the door, too-narrow aisles, parking $$$, slimy dealers, dirt-bag attendees, etc. [smilie=042.gif]
Could be my words exactly. I am mixed on this. I don't want to give the gun hating Ft Lauderdale government the win by the show moving to another venue but I also will not go to this venue due to its deficiencies and the fact that part of my entry fee feeds the gun hating elitist Ft Lauderdale government.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:55 am

All of the major gun shows down here are morally compromised, because they all utilize public facilities. And the governments of all three counties are anti-gun, more or less. All three venues are overly restrictive on private sales, for example. That is just priced into the deal.

WPB is dragged down by the high level of non-gun junk.

FTL is dragged down by the tight layout.

MIA wins by having less negatives. Some people find the metal detector a big deal. I go through one routinely for work, so I don't even think about it.

None of these shows are going to be confused with Tulsa, but the drive is a little easier.

YMMV.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:46 am

I have worked all 3 gun shows, & have NEVER seen the "no private sales allowed" enforced. They happen right in front of my face. When the gals still ran the Ft. Laud show, I once asked one of the cops at the show what the rules were for a private sale. His answer was "I don't know". One specific gun seller, who has never had a FFL, still sells guns at his table in WPB. He's been doing this for decades, & claims they are from his "private collection". Bill, the promoter could care less. It's one thing to walk the aisles with a gun for sale, but another for 30 years to have dozens of guns on a table & claim they're all from a private collection. He's the poster boy for the "gun show loophole". GARY
Last edited by N4KVE on Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:20 pm

tector wrote:None of these shows are going to be confused with Tulsa, but the drive is a little easier.
Yeah, that's on my list, but can't encourage any of my buddies to go. "Wife, kids, work" blah, blah, blah. Priorities, gentlemen!

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:42 pm

870Mike wrote: Yeah, that's on my list, but can't encourage any of my buddies to go. "Wife, kids, work" blah, blah, blah. Priorities, gentlemen!
Maybe it's because they can't buy a gun there, & leave with it. GARY

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:14 pm

N4KVE wrote:Maybe it's because they can't buy a gun there, & leave with it. GARY
Nah. They all have excuses...

Who would rather spend time with their wife/kids vs. going to the largest gun show in the world!?

Well...besides this guy:

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:20 pm

870Mike wrote:
N4KVE wrote:Maybe it's because they can't buy a gun there, & leave with it. GARY
Who would rather spend time with their wife/kids vs. going to the largest gun show in the world!?
Oh I agree 1000%, I'm just saying it would suck to find a great buy, & having to leave it there to be sent to a local Florida FFL for transfer. GARY

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:36 pm

N4KVE wrote:
870Mike wrote:
Oh I agree 1000%, I'm just saying it would suck to find a great buy, & having to leave it there to be sent to a local Florida FFL for transfer. GARY
Why?

Also, I have seen otherwise with private sellers in Tulsa.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:48 pm

870Mike wrote:
tector wrote:None of these shows are going to be confused with Tulsa, but the drive is a little easier.
Yeah, that's on my list, but can't encourage any of my buddies to go. "Wife, kids, work" blah, blah, blah. Priorities, gentlemen!
Check back with me next year.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:19 pm

tector wrote:
Why?
Because if you find a nice handgun from a FFL, you would have to add 1st class overnight shipping, & transfer fees to the price of the gun. That could be $100. But a private sale would be nice. GARY

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:57 pm

N4KVE wrote:
tector wrote:
Why?
Because if you find a nice handgun from a FFL, you would have to add 1st class overnight shipping, & transfer fees to the price of the gun. That could be $100. But a private sale would be nice. GARY
Never paid anything near that. The last transfer I did was $9. And FFLs don't have to ship overnight to FFLs.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:54 am

tector wrote:
Never paid anything near that. The last transfer I did was $9. And FFLs don't have to ship overnight to FFLs.
Oh, so that overnite BS is if a private person wants to send a gun to a pistol smith for a trigger job, & he sends it back, both ways need to be overnite? But between FFL's not so? Learn something every day. Thanks. GARY