Trail Glades Price Hike

alexfiggy

Re: Trail Glades Price Hike

Post by alexfiggy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Over 18 years ago my first county job was at trail glades . The park was always low priority for the county. A few times the regulars rallied at commissioner meeting to save or increase the budget for the park. Lots of money over the years went missing that was supposed to get to the park. Pepe Diaz is about the only guy on the board that pushed for range expansion and renovation . The park is in his district. Back in 97 and 98 I know for a fact that tgr was the only park in the county that made a profit . At that time the park sold ammo reloads and new stuff. We the staff gave cwp aka nra basic pistol first steps class and implementation of the range safety class. I was earning 5.50or 5.65 an hour back then. The job sucked lots a baby sitting with gun play involved . In my opinion the county won't let the range work to its full potential . Cost of doing business does go up.

drshame

Post by drshame » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:01 pm

" In my opinion the county won't let the range work to its full potential "

+1

Lease out the admin building for a Pro Shop
Sell supplies, cleaning stuff, eye and hearing protection.
Rent out a Coffee Shop inside.
Offer a yearly "Supporting Membership" for extra access on the range or other perks.
Sell Logo'd Merchandise, hats, mugs, tee-shirts
Install a selfcheck-in scanner and cut business staff....like they did in Supermarkets and Home Depot.
Cut Management salaries, like they do in Private Business
Develop more "volunteer" range officers to cut employee expenses like they had several years ago.

Rent it out for events like Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs and Quinces!

DoralJoe
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by DoralJoe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Let's see why $12 is a ripp-off
1-Park is in shambles
2-Bathrooms are always dirty and the urinals are clogged.
3-Park floods every time it rains.
4-Mosquitoes are a major pain and the cheap ass county never sprays.
5-Only park in the county that actually makes money.
6-High school service from workers that may, or may not, have benefits.
7-The manager is an idiot. He should walk around instead of driving that stupid golf cart.
8-Some of the fans don't even work.
9-Water coolers were taken away so U have to buy from their vending machines.
10-No snack bars.
11-Little shack to the right as U go to trap & skeet had the AC running when it is 50 degrees outside.
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM!!!!
-Joe

drshame

Post by drshame » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Ever hear anything about why Miami Dade County Refuses to extend Trail Glades Range because it doesn't have enough land for a bigger, improved range facility?

This just hit a local Newspaper about the County considering swapping land to the Coast Guard, so it can build a Theme Park in SW Miami-Dade:

WTF?

If they have 105 acres there, why not expand the damn range like they agreed to several years ago?

"The two county-owned parcels being eyed for a swap: 105 surplus acres at Tamiami Trail and Krome Avenue adjacent to a county-operated gun range, the Trail Glades Range; and 105 acres that are also surplus at the Homestead General Aviation Airport, 28700 SW 217th Ave."

This be BS, imho.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Why doesn't the county just lease out the property to a private entity to run the range?
I don't think the county government should be in the business of running a range.
A private company should be able to run it more efficiently and offer what public wants instead of a unconcerned government employee making decision on what and when to offer it.
Let the capitalism do it's work out there.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

drshame

Post by drshame » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:25 pm

They leased it out several years ago.
It didn't work out and the county took it over again..
You in favor of leasing out all the Public golf courses, tennis courts and boat docks too?

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:57 pm

drshame wrote:They leased it out several years ago.
It didn't work out and the county took it over again..
You in favor of leasing out all the Public golf courses, tennis courts and boat docks too?
Yeah, pretty much...and schools too.
I don't think county runs these facilities very well and most (if not all) becomes money pit for the county tax payers.
I think private entities can run them much more efficiently. Just lease them out with requirement to upgrade/improve facilities yearly.
I'm all for smaller/leaner government on all levels.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:07 pm

We (Homestead) have a gigantic baseball stadium down here. It's money-sucking white elephant. Twice before the city government tried letting a private entity take it over. We wish it would have worked out, but unfortunately, it turned into a boondoggle that cost the city a lot of money. Don't know all the details, but the business seemed to sort of work, but they just didn't want to pay their fees, utilities and insurance, leaving the city holding the bag. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out.

Even the entity running the fast lanes on I-95 have raised the rush hour usage to $10.50. The guy on the news, when questioned about it, said; "Whatever the market will bear".
If a private company took over TGR, I would fully expect customer rates to go up, and shooting times charged by the hour, not relaxed like it is now. It would just turn into another angst-ridden shooting gallery, like Stone Hart Gun Range.
Yeah, it's a pessimistic point of view.
There's a storm coming.

jim640
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jim640 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:16 am

I was there yesterday on the pistol side. Paid the $12 plus tax. Beautiful day, surprisingly, the range was not crowded, maybe something to do with the new fee, probably not, probably all those new shooters finally getting tired of guns.

Brought 5 guns, shot for three hours. Very relaxed and enjoyable.

I don't care about the crappy bathrooms, I don't care about the lack of a snack bar or great parking. I don't care about anything except my ability to shoot my guns in peace for as long as I want to.

If I want pretty, I can go to Nexus and pay by the hour.

My only disappointment was how bad my new 10/22 red dot was off and I forgot to bring my laser sighter.

Plus how many freaking times do people need to be told to stand behind the red line when the range is cold....lol....

:ham'r
NRA Life Member
SAF Supporter

DaJester223

Post by DaJester223 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:21 am

jim640 wrote:I was there yesterday on the pistol side. Paid the $12 plus tax. Beautiful day, surprisingly, the range was not crowded, maybe something to do with the new fee, probably not, probably all those new shooters finally getting tired of guns.

Brought 5 guns, shot for three hours. Very relaxed and enjoyable.

I don't care about the crappy bathrooms, I don't care about the lack of a snack bar or great parking. I don't care about anything except my ability to shoot my guns in peace for as long as I want to.

If I want pretty, I can go to Nexus and pay by the hour.

My only disappointment was how bad my new 10/22 red dot was off and I forgot to bring my laser sighter.

Plus how many freaking times do people need to be told to stand behind the red line when the range is cold....lol....

:ham'r
C'mon folks! Its not like we choose a cheap hobby to be in... Try finding somewhere else to shoot as long as you want with your own ammo for $12. Trade off the price of ammo coming back down for range fees at TGR... LOL!
"Nut Up or Shut Up!"

drshame

Post by drshame » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:18 pm

I'd just like to get something n return for higher prices. We approved $8 million in improvements thru a bond issue years ago. We got a fresh coat of paint basically.....fewer actual shooting positions, some code updates and not much else.
Give me something in return for higher prices...that's all I'm saying. And let the public in on the process and give us a chance to speak about it first.
Yet another example of our current Banana Republic form of Government?

cvasqu03
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cvasqu03 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:06 am

DoralJoe wrote:Let's see why $12 is a ripp-off
1-Park is in shambles
2-Bathrooms are always dirty and the urinals are clogged.
3-Park floods every time it rains.
4-Mosquitoes are a major pain and the cheap ass county never sprays.
5-Only park in the county that actually makes money.
6-High school service from workers that may, or may not, have benefits.
7-The manager is an idiot. He should walk around instead of driving that stupid golf cart.
8-Some of the fans don't even work.
9-Water coolers were taken away so U have to buy from their vending machines.
10-No snack bars.
11-Little shack to the right as U go to trap & skeet had the AC running when it is 50 degrees outside.

Yeah, but a least we no longer have that old dude calling the shots. Man that old guy always acted like he thought the range would be a really great place if it wasn't for all the people trying to use it. [smilie=011.gif]
If you're going to knock a man down, do it so he can't get up.

jim640
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jim640 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:14 am

cvasqu03 wrote: Yeah, but a least we no longer have that old dude calling the shots. Man that old guy always acted like he thought the range would be a really great place if it wasn't for all the people trying to use it. [smilie=011.gif]
I remember him, I think his name was Cliff. Tough old fart, always managed to stay on his good side.

_:
NRA Life Member
SAF Supporter

cvasqu03
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cvasqu03 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:16 pm

jim640 wrote:
cvasqu03 wrote: Yeah, but a least we no longer have that old dude calling the shots. Man that old guy always acted like he thought the range would be a really great place if it wasn't for all the people trying to use it. [smilie=011.gif]
I remember him, I think his name was Cliff. Tough old fart, always managed to stay on his good side.

_:

Yeah, Cliff, that was him. You were lucky, I could never get on his good side. Every time my friends and I showed up he seemed to take one look at us and get nasty. Maybe we just rubbed him the wrong way for some reason.
If you're going to knock a man down, do it so he can't get up.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:43 am

I always countered Cliff's brusqueness by being extra courteous. The nastier he was, the nicer and more polite I was. I think it threw it him off his game.
There's a storm coming.

miamiair

Post by miamiair » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:21 am

The increase at the practical range also went up. I was out there yesterday, and they told us the prices went up. No notice, no nothing.
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. "
Winston Churchill

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:38 pm

miamiair wrote:The increase at the practical range also went up. I was out there yesterday, and they told us the prices went up. No notice, no nothing.
So, a few people get together during lunch and say, "Hey, we got a lot of taxpayer money tied up in those renovations. Let's charge the taxpayers more money to use the range." Is that the way county price increases usually work?
There's a storm coming.

drshame

Post by drshame » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:03 am

FYI: The "Improvments" were paid for thru a Bond Issue following a Parks and Rec improvement vote years ago that passed overwhelmingly.
Only a portion of the money has been used there, and there's supposed to be a lot more work done as part of the approved "improvements".
Where's the rest of the money, what happened to it and when will we get what was already approved and funded?
The current users' fee rate hike has NOTHING to do with some of the recent construction.
Much of the Bond money intended for expanding/improved facilities was used on "maintenance" the county neglected for years, rather than expanded/improved facilities.
In fact, we now have FEWER shooting positions as a result of the renovated pistol/rifle line.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 am

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
A few years back, Homestead had $250K for a gun range. It was on the discussion agenda for the town meeting, but kept getting postponed until it was just never mentioned again.
I kept dreaming of a city-owned range, even if it had only a few positions. I've always wondered what happened to that money?
There's a storm coming.

DoralJoe
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by DoralJoe » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Another south Florida govt sponsored theft project just like MIA airport, Port Everglades, Port of miami, the express lanes, toll roads,,, do I need to say more?
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM!!!!
-Joe