Machine shop for re-crowning barrel?

alexfiggy

Machine shop for re-crowning barrel?

Post by alexfiggy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:38 am

I'm looking for a machine shop that can re-crown a barrel in south florida? It's a ar15 type barrel .thank you.

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Machine shop for re-crowning barrel?

Post by g34man » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Mr. Smith
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Mr. Smith » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Thank you for asking about this alexfiggy; and thanks for answering g34man.
=D>
I have an old Colt 22 Challenger that has the factory flat crown that I’ve wanted for a long time to get re-crowned like the Colt Woodsman (as well as most Colts) with the rounded over type crown.

Doesn’t it seem that they (Brownelles, or the like) could make a crowning tool that you could put on a drill that uses the inside diameter of the barrel to steady the crowning drill?

Smith
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon depriving a whole nation of its arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:52 pm

I am not a machinist, but that sounds like a really good way to get a totally wonky crown bevel, a ruined bore, or both.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Sergio88

Post by Sergio88 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Re-crowing is actually pretty easy to do correctly. If an AR15 type barrel, you do need to take the flash hider off first. A round-head brass screw (at least twice bore size) some "Clover 320 grit" valve grinding compound and a cordless drill on low power. Move the drill motor in a small circle using slight pressure. Takes about 3-5 minutes unless really dinged up. Lap the crown until the bevel on the lands touches the grooves, and a tiny bit more. Actually this is way more difficult to get right using a lathe and you can be done in less time than doing the lathe set-up. There are lots of "how-to" videos about this method on UT.

spikes40
Life Member
Life Member

Post by spikes40 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I use Andy @ KGB armament in pompano
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Please visit and Like my Police Supply Page at http://www.facebook.com/ADLPoliceSupplies
http://www.ADLPoliceSupplies.com