(Published) Rifle Loads for .41 Magnum?

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:57 am

Anybody out there have any published rifle loads for .41 Magnum?
My reloading mentor chewed my ass out for even considering loading above the 2 pistol loads provided by the Lyman 50th edition.
I have a new Henry in .41 mag, and have seen some articles reporting hot loads with heavy-for-caliber cast bullets, and I have an interest in that for hunting purposes.
Thanks in advance for any info, leads or links to reliable data.
—Griff

wolfdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: (Published) Rifle Loads for .41 Magnum?

Post by wolfdog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:46 pm

21 grains of 296 under a 210 grain XTP has worked well for me out of rifle(1894fg) and pistols on pigs and deer out to 100 yards. 19 grains of 296 under 215 flatnose gc cast bullet has worked well out to 50 yards out of same guns, have not had chance to shoot anything farther out. Hodgdon shows loads for bullet up to 245 grains but I have seen no need for such.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
If you are going to be stupid, you have to be tough.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Thank you kindly, wolfdog. I will add those loads to my reloading notebook. I have been using 16.5 grains of A2400 for best accuracy but have seen loads as high as 19 grains with a 210 JHP/JSP Speer. No idea how much hotter they are out of a 20” rifle compared to a Blackhawk pistol, I’ve been guessing around 200 FPS. Have you chronographed your loads? What are you getting for m.v.?

Got a buddy up in TN that wants me to go half in on a 270 grain custom mold. I’m trying to convince him to go with a plain base non-gas-checked design because we powder coat our cast.
Another buddy in Crystal River uses the gas checks and powder coats, says better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

—Griff

wolfdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by wolfdog » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 am

Never cronoed them, just worked up loaded that shoot good and put bullets where they needed to go. 41 is my favorite handgun round and has served me well. Even my plinking load of 8.5 grains of Unique under cast 215 grain bullet has broken both shoulders of 200 pound plus sow at 20 yards shot out of my 6 inch model 57.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:24 am

My friend, Jim, says accuracy beats speed every time...I believe he is correct.
We loaded some 210 grain powder coated cast over 8.5 of Unique, only shot them out of my rifle, they weren’t accurate.
I posted a few pics of my last range trip on this forum. Going back to the same range Saturday morning with my youngest son, who is 11...gonna let him shoot the new Henry. He already uses my 1894C in .357 mag for deer, on the very rare occasion I get to hunt with him alongside. He’s a pretty fair shot with that rifle.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:05 pm

My friend had a .357 Marlin lever action carbine blow up on him using a friend’s reloads, ruined the barrel. I promised him I wouldn’t hot-rod my new rifle, but I’m looking for verified safe rifle loads that I can use as I’m not happy with the accuracy using factory iron sights.
I plan on buying a Skinner set as soon as some money blooms on the tree.

wolfdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by wolfdog » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:07 am

I like the Williams FP Sights. bulkier then the Skinners but much easier to change adjustments if you shoot different loads. I also like being able to use different apertures for different conditions.