Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post Reply
Japle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Viera, FLorida

Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Japle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:54 pm

My hog hunting buddy moved and I’m looking for someone else to hunt with, preferably someone who lives in the Melbourne area.
I usually go on a weekday to avoid the weekend crowds. I’ve been hunting with pros in private land west of Lake Okeechobee. Been there three times and always get a hog.
Interested? PM me or post here.
John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" whilst you find a rock.
Talleyrand

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:53 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Dave M » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:29 am

I would love to do this I just need to find a day to take off

What are the normal costs, days you go, etc?

Japle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Viera, FLorida

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Japle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:14 pm

I usually go in the middle of the week – Wed or Thurs. I went once on a weekend and there were 7 hunters besides the 2 of us. That makes getting one of the best stands difficult.
I hunt at Chappy’s - http://www.okeechobee-hunting-fishing.com/index.html
It’s about 2 hrs drive down there. The place is overrun with hogs.

The way it works is, they put you on a stand well before sunup and come get you about an hour after sunup. There are feeders 35-75 yds from the stands. If you don’t get a hog, they move you to another area and let the dogs out. Hunters ride in huge, homemade buggies with built-in dog cages. The dogs chase hogs into thick – really thick – clumps of palms and brush and try to keep them in there. Often, the hogs get past the dogs and either you chase them or, if they run a long way or get away completely, you get back on the buggy. You have a guide who helps you spot the hog, which is damn hard to do. Then you shoot when he tells you it’s safe. If there are a lot of hunters, you wait your turn and take whichever hog you draw. It’s luck whether you get a 60 or 200 lb hog, boar or sow. I’ve shot hogs from the stand and while chasing the dogs. My biggest was about 160 lbs and smallest was maybe 65 lbs. I’ve seen hogs that must have gone well over 250 lbs. It might take 20 minutes to get a hog behind the dogs or a couple of hours. The guides won’t quit until you’ve scored.

Guns: I’ve used everything from a .358 Norma Mag, loaded down to .35 Rem ballistics to .357, .45 and .44 AutoMag pistols and revolvers. I watched a guy shoot a 70 lb hog 11 times with a .45 loaded with hardball. This time I plan to use a suppressed .300 ACC from the blind and a .44 Desert Eagle for the chase.

Cost, including skinning and quartering is $200. We take a cooler a stop in the 1st town for ice.
John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" whilst you find a rock.
Talleyrand

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:53 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Dave M » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 pm

Great info,

How often do you go,
And when is your next anticipated date?

Does anyone ever shoot anything suppressed?

Japle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Viera, FLorida

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Japle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:04 pm

I try to go a few times a year.
When I go next depends on finding someone to hunt with. I’m retired so, unless I have a gig (I’m a musician), I can go whenever I want.

I haven’t seen anyone with a suppressed weapon, but there have been some bow hunters.

BTW, normal get-on-the-road time is 3:30AM. Usually, we’re back sometime between 1 and 4.
John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" whilst you find a rock.
Talleyrand

Japle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Viera, FLorida

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Japle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Went hog hunting yesterday with a friend named Mike. We drove a couple of hours from Melbourne to Chappy’s Outfitters on the west side of Lake Okeechobee where we met the PH (professional hunter/guide) and two young kids who are learning the trade.
We climbed up into one of the huge home-made buggies they have, with built-in dog kennels and seats up high so hunters can get a good view, run through frequent spider webs and get slapped in the face with wet branches. All part of the fun.
After a short ride to the hunting area and a short wait while the dogs did their morning business, we rode around, following the radio collars on the dogs while they sniffed out hogs and tried to corner them in the super-dense palmetto thickets. Of course, once the hog is found, it’s up to the hunter to crash through the brush and find the thing. More often than not, the hogs get away, but Mike was first with his rifle. Seeing a hog in that heavy cover is tough enough, but figuring out what part of the hog you’re seeing through a ‘scope is nearly impossible. Anyway, Mike managed it, scoring a nice head shot.
I was next. Following a dog through that tangled stuff for 50-100 yards and then having enough wind to get off a clean shot with a handgun ain’t easy, but I broke the neck of a running hog (those things are fast!) for an instant kill. The hog weighed about 140-145 lbs according to the chest measurement and a chart I found on-line.
FYI, I was shooting a Desert Eagle .44 Mag with 180 gr JHPs at around 1650 fps. After smashing the spine, the exit wound was damn impressive.
Chappy’s does the skinning and quarters your hog, leaving it to the hunter to do the final butchering. The meat’s iced down in a cooler and I’ll get it cut up in a few days.
I'll probably go again in April or May. Let me know if you're interested.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/msrVK ... o-temp.jpg
Last edited by Japle on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" whilst you find a rock.
Talleyrand

User avatar
dammitgriff
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Japle wrote:Went hog hunting yesterday with a friend named Mike. We drove a couple of hours from Melbourne to Chappy’s Outfitters on the west side of Lake Okeechobee where we met the PH (professional hunter/guide) and two young kids who are learning the trade.
We climbed up into one of the huge home-made buggies they have, with built-in dog kennels and seats up high so hunters can get a good view, run through frequent spider webs and get slapped in the face with wet branches. All part of the fun.
After a short ride to the hunting area and a short wait while the dogs did their morning business, we rode around, following the radio collars on the dogs while they sniffed out hogs and tried to corner them in the super-dense palmetto thickets. Of course, once the hog is found, it’s up to the hunter to crash through the brush and find the thing. More often than not, the hogs get away, but Mike was first with his rifle. Seeing a hog in that heavy cover is tough enough, but figuring out what part of the hog you’re seeing through a ‘scope is nearly impossible. Anyway, Mike managed it, scoring a nice head shot.
I was next. Following a dog through that tangled stuff for 50-100 yards and then having enough wind to get off a clean shot with a handgun ain’t easy, but I broke the neck of a running hog (those things are fast!) for an instant kill. The hog weighed about 140-145 lbs according to the chest measurement and a chart I found on-line.
FYI, I was shooting a Desert Eagle .44 Mag with 180 gr JHPs at around 1650 fps. After smashing the spine, the exit wound was damn impressive.
Chappy’s does the skinning and quarters your hog, leaving it to the hunter to do the final butchering. The meat’s iced down in a cooler and I’ll get it cut up in a few days.
I'll probably go again in April or May. Let me know if you're interested.
I’m interested!
Is this a bring-your-own lunch affair, or do they make a lunch for you?
License requirements? (Not needed on private land).
Is it $200 per person? Do we split the gas?
Do we tip the help? Is there a brass recovery team? (.41 Rem Mag). Do they allow reloaded ammo?
Do they play George Jones on their swamp buggies? Ever hear banjos off in the distance?
I guess that’s all the questions I have for now.
—Griff



Japle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Viera, FLorida

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Japle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:28 am

Food isn’t much of a problem. There are so many hogs out there that we got there at 7:30, started at 8:00 and were finished at 10. Then another 45-60 minutes while they dress the hogs. We were home just after 1.

No licenses required. Hogs are an invasive species and considered vermin. Good-tasting vermin.

Cost is $225. I usually drive and gas money isn’t required. After all, I had to go down there anyway.

I don’t tip the PH, since it’s his operation. I tipped the two kids $10 each.

Use any gun and ammo you like. Handgun, shotgun, rifle, whatever.

Where do you live?
John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" whilst you find a rock.
Talleyrand

User avatar
dammitgriff
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by dammitgriff » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 am

Currently I’m located near Post Road and US1. I don’t think I’ll be able to accompany you on a regular basis, though—my family and I are living apart at the moment while the wife is coordinating repairs to our place in the Keys, so I’m stuck working up here and she’s in charge of the budget. Don’t think we can spare a couple hundred right now.
I’ve hunted Bull Creek and Three Lakes in the past, even drove across the state to Potts Preserve with a buddy for a walk-in hunt...I am from Alachua county originally and remember being able to hunt all the local WMAs without hassle or high cost.
Guaranteed meat in the cooler is a big plus, though...I can work that angle. I just wish both of us had access to private land like I remember growing up in the 80’s (I’m 47).
R/Griff

User avatar
dammitgriff
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by dammitgriff » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:02 pm

Japle—
I will be shooting at the new Triple N range tomorrow, Saturday, January 20, from 10 until approximately noon, if you’re interested in meeting up. 192 to 441, South about 4 miles on the left. The access road is about 3 miles long and paved.
R/Griff

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:53 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Dave M » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:57 pm

dammitgriff wrote:Japle—
I will be shooting at the new Triple N range tomorrow, Saturday, January 20, from 10 until approximately noon, if you’re interested in meeting up. 192 to 441, South about 4 miles on the left. The access road is about 3 miles long and paved.
R/Griff
That looks like nice range, first I've heard of it

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk


User avatar
dammitgriff
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by dammitgriff » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Dave M wrote:
dammitgriff wrote:Japle—
I will be shooting at the new Triple N range tomorrow, Saturday, January 20, from 10 until approximately noon, if you’re interested in meeting up. 192 to 441, South about 4 miles on the left. The access road is about 3 miles long and paved.
R/Griff
That looks like nice range, first I've heard of it

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
It’s actually right at 6 miles south on 441 from the left turn in Holopaw coming from Melbourne.
Spent 6 full hours out there today ironing out my new Henry in .41 magnum and my brother’s BH in .41 mag. Getting it together there.
Next time I plan on going I’ll post it here, maybe we can coordinate a meet-up.
R/Griff

Post Reply