Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Japle

Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Japle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:54 pm

My hog hunting buddy moved and I’m looking for someone else to hunt with, preferably someone who lives in the Melbourne area.
I usually go on a weekday to avoid the weekend crowds. I’ve been hunting with pros in private land west of Lake Okeechobee. Been there three times and always get a hog.
Interested? PM me or post here.
John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" whilst you find a rock.
Talleyrand

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Looking for a hog hunting partner.

Post by Dave M » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:29 am

I would love to do this I just need to find a day to take off

What are the normal costs, days you go, etc?

Japle

Post by Japle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:14 pm

I usually go in the middle of the week – Wed or Thurs. I went once on a weekend and there were 7 hunters besides the 2 of us. That makes getting one of the best stands difficult.
I hunt at Chappy’s - http://www.okeechobee-hunting-fishing.com/index.html
It’s about 2 hrs drive down there. The place is overrun with hogs.

The way it works is, they put you on a stand well before sunup and come get you about an hour after sunup. There are feeders 35-75 yds from the stands. If you don’t get a hog, they move you to another area and let the dogs out. Hunters ride in huge, homemade buggies with built-in dog cages. The dogs chase hogs into thick – really thick – clumps of palms and brush and try to keep them in there. Often, the hogs get past the dogs and either you chase them or, if they run a long way or get away completely, you get back on the buggy. You have a guide who helps you spot the hog, which is damn hard to do. Then you shoot when he tells you it’s safe. If there are a lot of hunters, you wait your turn and take whichever hog you draw. It’s luck whether you get a 60 or 200 lb hog, boar or sow. I’ve shot hogs from the stand and while chasing the dogs. My biggest was about 160 lbs and smallest was maybe 65 lbs. I’ve seen hogs that must have gone well over 250 lbs. It might take 20 minutes to get a hog behind the dogs or a couple of hours. The guides won’t quit until you’ve scored.

Guns: I’ve used everything from a .358 Norma Mag, loaded down to .35 Rem ballistics to .357, .45 and .44 AutoMag pistols and revolvers. I watched a guy shoot a 70 lb hog 11 times with a .45 loaded with hardball. This time I plan to use a suppressed .300 ACC from the blind and a .44 Desert Eagle for the chase.

Cost, including skinning and quartering is $200. We take a cooler a stop in the 1st town for ice.
John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Talleyrand

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave M » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 pm

Great info,

How often do you go,
And when is your next anticipated date?

Does anyone ever shoot anything suppressed?

Japle

Post by Japle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:04 pm

I try to go a few times a year.
When I go next depends on finding someone to hunt with. I’m retired so, unless I have a gig (I’m a musician), I can go whenever I want.

I haven’t seen anyone with a suppressed weapon, but there have been some bow hunters.

BTW, normal get-on-the-road time is 3:30AM. Usually, we’re back sometime between 1 and 4.
John
Viera, FL

NRA Endowment Member

Talleyrand