Post by EdJG » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:58 am

Is it worth going to?
Ed
Sig P320
S&W Shield

Villafuego

Re: Tampa Gun Show

Post by Villafuego » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:13 am

Would you pay to park, then 10$ to get in the door at Shoot Straight????

It's mostly them, flea-market grade AR accessories, NCStar optics, stun guns, and "private sellers" with 700.00 Ex-PD Glocks and 1000.00 S&W 686's....

Shoot Straight / Suncoast shows are a waste of time and money.....

just my jaded opinion......

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:33 am

I am going to be in the Tampa area next weekend and hope to go--I heard there will be 800+ tables.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

cigargreg

Post by cigargreg » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:06 pm

680 belong to Shoot Straight, 4 Beef Jerky 10 Cheap Tshirts, 10 Cheap knives, 1 for the dude selling the fire starter seen on Naked and Afraid, 40 for Stun Guns and Tasers and 205 and cheap ar parts.***This is just an estimate not exact.
I'm not a complete id***, some parts are missing!

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Whatever. If you are looking for the Tulsa gun show in Florida, you are going to be waiting awhile.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:55 pm

EdJG wrote:Is it worth going to?
Depends on what you are looking to get out of it. If you want to spend a couple of hours looking at guns and maybe handling something that you don't have locally at about the same price as taking your wife to the movies, then yes it is worth it.

If you want to go to get a super good deal on a firearm, you will probably be disappointed. Maybe not, though; sometimes you get lucky. I've got four or five quality guns in my safe right now that were gun show finds at very good to great prices (e.g. a S&W model 63 for $425).

The typical suncoast/SS show has about 2.5s of 10 (?) aisles set aside for Shoot Straight. However SS will probably give you a better price on a new gun than any other table on the floor of any Florida gun show IF you show up having done your research and prepared to bargain calmly. So, if there's a problem, it's that shoot straight crowds out private sellers with new stock. And they have a lot of new stock. However, there aren't that many private sellers that are willing to rent tables at shows, so I don't think that is really a good criticism.

I don't go to as many shows as I used to as they feel like they are all the same, but if you look at the show as entertainment and not someplace to go and find the holy grail missing from your collection or a slightly used SIg at 50% of retail, you will be okay.

My biggest complaints of shows are:
* Cost of parking is rediculous (I try to carpool with friends to cut that cost down). It might be okay if parking were easy, but you pay $10 to wait in line and park in the sun a quarter a mile or more from the entrance. Almost better off parking across the street and walking the 1/2 mile.
* Aisles are too narrow (especially due to wheel chairs, scooters and baby carriages). I'm surprised it passes fire inspection.
* Stank people. For some, wiping one's arse is optional, so they to walk around with a few ounces of turd in their pants. There's always a couple of those, and getting trapped in the narrow aisle near one is an ordeal.
* Children and babies. I'm old and I don't like 'em. The babies cry and the carriages block the aisles; the kids get underfoot.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:38 pm

What is the rule at the Tampa show for patrons selling guns privately?

EdJG

Post by EdJG » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:
EdJG wrote:Is it worth going to?
Depends on what you are looking to get out of it. If you want to spend a couple of hours looking at guns and maybe handling something that you don't have locally at about the same price as taking your wife to the movies, then yes it is worth it.
Thanks - [smilie=cheers1.gif]
Ed
Sig P320
S&W Shield

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 pm

tector wrote:What is the rule at the Tampa show for patrons selling guns privately?
I think you can bring in up to two firearms for sale or trade without renting a table, and can sell them in the show. However, I don't know for sure as its been awhile since I tried to do it myself. I think you are better off selling elsewhere for the most part, although a friend of mine got a great price on a combat pistol he brought in to sell a couple of years ago. I've sold a couple of things, too, but it's been even longer since I've sold anything at a show. Of course the dealers are there to buy inventory for resale, so you won't get the money you would if you sold it yourself. For some people that isn't an issue; they just want to get rid of the gun without a headache.
Brian

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:56 pm

EdJG wrote:Thanks - [smilie=cheers1.gif]
No worries. If you've never been, or only go once a decade, it can be entertaining.
Brian

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:01 pm

tector wrote:--I heard there will be 800+ tables.
There web site says 600 tables, but that seems awfully high. I'd guess that most sellers buy at least four tables (two on each side of an aisle), while many have 6 or 8. So maybe 80 individual dealers.
Brian

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:50 pm

I will let you know.

#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member

Post by #1Glock30 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Here is my conundrum. I live very near the Eustis show going on at the fairgrounds this weekend and have a new AR I was hoping to get some new hand guards for. There is a guy there that has a booth full of accessories and sticks them on right there. Then I heard that the Tampa show was going on and thought maybe I should go there for this. Hmmm... $5 dollars admission, with the coupon, and free parking to the Eustis show or travel to Tampa and pay parking and $10 to get in. Of course no SS in Eustis. Maybe I will go to Eustis first thing Sunday morning and if it doesn't work out I drive to Tampa and look. At the end of the day $50 hand guards will cost $100 if in fact I find something I want. Hopefully I will just attend Eustis. ..really is just about getting some decent hand guards. If I lived near Tampa fairgrounds I would go there for sure. Those country boy gun shows can sure get pretty slow.
Go and have fun at the gun show! What's a couple bucks. :ber
SHTF Ready

#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member

Post by #1Glock30 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Double post edit
Last edited by #1Glock30 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHTF Ready

EdJG

Post by EdJG » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Went to my first gun show - was an interesting experience.If all you want to do is get to "touch" a lot a firearms in one place it's worth going. But not if you're trying to find bargain prices.
Ed
Sig P320
S&W Shield

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:00 pm

EdJG wrote:Went to my first gun show - was an interesting experience.If all you want to do is get to "touch" a lot a firearms in one place it's worth going. But not if you're trying to find bargain prices.
Yes, but remember, prices are negotiable, sometimes very negotiable. And sometimes you find a good deal. There were a lot of sellers there today, and a lot of buyers, too. The Shoot Straight sales table was jammed.
Brian

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:24 am

Forgot to add that the security staff are a joke. I was going in with some ammo to sell and got stopped by the mall cop who told me I had to check it. I said, check my ammo? He says yes. So I wait in line for five minutes, get to the table and say, I'm here to check my ammo. The gun checker, a manager, says you don't have to check ammo, then, the door guy doesn't know what he's doing, to which I respond someone should tell him how to do his job.

What a pair of idiots. If gun shows are going to hire such idiots for security, I going to carry my self protection inside the show, because they ain't making anyone safe.
Brian