Lakeland show

45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Lakeland show

Post by 45caldan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:05 am

Anyone attend the Lakeland gun show this past weekend?

I was there first thing Sat morning not much of a line and once inside, I was surprised to see many empty tables especially in the "other hall"....
I expected it to be maybe a little on the crazy side what with the election coming and the possibility of "her" being in office...

I accomplished my mission of selling my CZ PO1 compact and picking up a full sized 9mm at a good price.
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Lakeland show

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:27 am

over the last month, I called twice and send 2 emails about getting a table, they replied on the Thursday before =:wvr , I don't know who's running that thing but man its gone to hell.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:04 pm

It is really the same people selling the same stuff for the same price. Great if you've never been, but it's getting old. Maybe if the prices were closer to reasonable--I don't think I saw a S&W 27 for less than $1,000. Sure some are worth that, but many are not worth near that; you know, the ones without a box and with 90% blue--a good shooter. And then there are so many people selling refinished guns for mint condition price. Your refinished 1894 winchester is worth 25% of what a non-refinished gun in mint condition would be, not the same amount.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 45caldan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:15 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:It is really the same people selling the same stuff for the same price. Great if you've never been, but it's getting old. Maybe if the prices were closer to reasonable--I don't think I saw a S&W 27 for less than $1,000. Sure some are worth that, but many are not worth near that; you know, the ones without a box and with 90% blue--a good shooter. And then there are so many people selling refinished guns for mint condition price. Your refinished 1894 winchester is worth 25% of what a non-refinished gun in mint condition would be, not the same amount.
Ya if I don't have a good reason for going to one of these shows, I don't anymore...
DON'T TREAD ON ME

pharmer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pharmer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:42 pm

I went Saturday morning and the emptiness at the September show, which has always been the biggest of the 3 LRPC shows in the 30 years I been going, suggests a problem other than the upcoming election. I talked to one vendor and he said he paid for 2 tables and the promoter told him to "spread out" so he had a gun or 2 on about a dozen tables. Saw $0 change hands in the 2 1/2 hours we were there. Joe
Deplorably Optimistic

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:21 am

It is really the same people selling the same stuff for the same price.
Upped 5% every year. [smilie=011.gif]
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:51 am

45caldan wrote:
Cardboard_killer wrote:It is really the same people selling the same stuff for the same price. Great if you've never been, but it's getting old. Maybe if the prices were closer to reasonable--I don't think I saw a S&W 27 for less than $1,000. Sure some are worth that, but many are not worth near that; you know, the ones without a box and with 90% blue--a good shooter. And then there are so many people selling refinished guns for mint condition price. Your refinished 1894 winchester is worth 25% of what a non-refinished gun in mint condition would be, not the same amount.
Ya if I don't have a good reason for going to one of these shows, I don't anymore...

1+ [smilie=popcorn.gif]
"Spend your energy to keep up and you won't have to waste it catching up"

wlday

Post by wlday » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:10 pm

Just saw the flyer for the January show. Looks like they increased the price again. Now $15 [-(

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:34 pm

wlday wrote:Just saw the flyer for the January show. Looks like they increased the price again. Now $15 [-(
Is there a parking fee? I wonder if they're trying to wrap it all into 1 cost so people quit complaining about paying for parking.

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:41 pm

wlday wrote:Just saw the flyer for the January show. Looks like they increased the price again. Now $15 [-(
$15 to get in and $8 to park is insane. Maybe they are going back to not charging for parking but hiking the price up to make up the difference.

EDIT: Great minds think alike :)
Brian

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:58 pm

The notice I received via email for the 14/15 Jan show said Free Parking, but said nothing about a $15 entrance fee.

My son and I gave up on the Lakeland show two years ago.

Gregg

pharmer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pharmer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:18 pm

If you look at this show as a "venue for pursuit of the Affordable Grail" it's definitely a huge disappointment. If it's an opportunity to spend a day with a friend, shoot the $%^&, listen to tall tales and the word "rare" as an all-purpose adjective, or buy that missing swivel for your Civil War musket, you'll have a great time. A movie is almost the same price and it's been a long time since a good movie was better than a lame gun show. Besides, Khaled don't own this one and that in itself is " refreshingly different." Joe
Deplorably Optimistic

joker223
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joker223 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:37 pm

I used to go to the LRPC show at least 2 out of the three times a year. I believe it's been 3 years since I've been, and I doubt I'll be back any time soon.

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:43 pm

pharmer wrote: A movie is almost the same price and it's been a long time since a good movie was better than a lame gun show.
I used to say the same thing, but movies have gotten better and the show hasn't.
Brian

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:00 am

I'm trying to resist the urge to go this morning.
Brian

pharmer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pharmer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 am

Yesterday the show was bangin'. Just like the "old days." Very few unsold tables unlike Sept. Money changing hands, everybody toting something to sell. We didn't get in the door, first guy got the whole spiel on the 4 guns we brought, turned out to be a tire kicker. Next guy got the spiel, a price increase of $200 and he starts counting out cash. Go if you got nothing else on the agenda. Joe
Deplorably Optimistic

bill2740
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bill2740 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:18 pm

I went Saturday morning. Same vendors-same high prices. I scored on FNH 5.7X28 LE ammo (red box) for $40.00 a box OTD.
Bill

Praise The Hardball Gun

speeddemon11L

Post by speeddemon11L » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:02 pm

I went Saturday. First time I have been in about four years. It was a far cry from the show I remember. I don't think I will be attending another one.

Joshua L Chamberlin

Post by Joshua L Chamberlin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Walked out with a Redhawk that I paid $380 for. I always find something at this show. I do dislike the outrageous entry fee and the fee they used to charge to park. These fees make me consider the Miami show to be more worthy of giving my money to and makes me less willing to make the drive up from Kendall. I would also say that many of the prices at the tables are just not that good. I agree with much of the complaints vocalized above. Consider I took half a day off work and paid for a hotel room to go to this show I do not see the show as worth my effort. I used to go to all of these shows but now I go to one every few years and walk away with mixed emotions.

Springfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Springfield » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:36 pm

I went Sun afternoon. Was a nice ride down from Orlando on the Harley and back, which made the trip worthwhile for me. Got there just before 3pm and paid $15 for an hour of walking around. AK's were high, but AR's relatively cheap. Kinda pissed so many vendors were packing up even at 3pm, but I found some nice knives hand-made from file and a few fun trinkets at good prices.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. ~Abraham Lincoln
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. ~Ben Franklin