I'm baaaack! Now in Vero Beach

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

I'm baaaack! Now in Vero Beach

Post by tony k » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:42 pm

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. And no, I haven't been committed, or in prison, LOLZ!

Some of you knew at the time, but: In 2015 we decided to sell the home we built in 1985 and had lived in ever since. You accumulate a LOT of stuff in 30 years!

We then built our dream house up here in Indian River County, moved in, and started making it truly ours. It had been a fun, wild and busy time. (Yeah, and expensive. Sorry, John, we spent your inheritance!) We're just a mile or two from the intracoastal/beach, yet 25 feet above sea level. Building it to be hurricane-proof (as much as possible) wasn't cheap, either.

I'm still driving glockpacker's silver '06 Explorer, but it now has 100k miles on it.

molivo, when your new shop opens, let me know. And everyone up here, I'm looking forward to seeing ya! I'm also looking for anyone with a safe private range who might like some trigger time on my MGs.

While we are STILL unpacking, now I think I've got some time to hang out here with youse guys again. And hopefully make some new Treasure Coast friends!

Sweep

Re: I'm baaaack! Now in Vero Beach

Post by Sweep » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Hey tony good to see yer still kicking
Democrat's still for Trump ..
Full service FFL/SOT manufacture
Pale Rider Co Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.blingblingbangbangs.com
727-776-4274

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Congrats on your new house.
You’re just below me, I’m in Brevard County. There’s supposed to be a cracker-style restaurant off the exit where the range is, but damn if I can find it.

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:39 pm

dammitgriff wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:39 pm
You’re just below me, I’m in Brevard County. There’s supposed to be a cracker-style restaurant off the exit where the range is, but damn if I can find it.
Good to "meet" ya, northern neighbor!

Which range ya talking about? I've tried the Indian River County Range up the road here. The late FSN legend glockpacker, who I bought my Explorer from, used to shoot regularly at the Port Malabar range, but I haven't been up there since he (Eric) passed.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Your 2 hours closer to KC or at least Hernando....haven't seen ya at any of the shoots last couple of years...
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:56 pm
Your 2 hours closer to KC or at least Hernando....haven't seen ya at any of the shoots last couple of years...
Back in the day, I didn't miss a single Hernando MG shoot for more than a decade .... but I haven't been in a few years (stopped before we sold our home), and now that I am getting close to starting my eighth decade on Earth (!), I probably won't be at too many more.

Enjoy, and dump a mag for me! I'm with ya in spirit. :-)

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm

tony k wrote:
dammitgriff wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:39 pm
Good to "meet" ya, northern neighbor!

Which range ya talking about? I've tried the Indian River County Range up the road here. The late FSN legend glockpacker, who I bought my Explorer from, used to shoot regularly at the Port Malabar range, but I haven't been up there since he (Eric) passed.
That be the one. I’ve been there three times, took my youngest boy there shortly after his 10th birthday a year and a half or so ago to experience his first ever range day...I like the way the RO’s run things—safely, that is.
Been over to the new range at Triple N last couple times, they have a sporting clays course over there too, never done that type of shooting. Well, maybe if you count ducks.
I’m not much into target shooting but I just started reloading about a month ago after a few weekends being mentored by a friend in Crystal River on the Gulf Coast. I bucked his advice and got into .41 mag instead of his favorite, .44 mag...he casts and rolls his own, mostly for hunting, like I will be.
I’m new to this forum and haven’t read all the rules yet, but can you give me some background on how it got started, and when?
—Griff

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Griff, FSN started back in the late '90s in Broward County, from a bunch of us shooters who got to know each other at Pop's, a range west of Rt. 27 in the Everglades. One of the regulars was then a college student, and he launched the web site on his own nickel to keep us all informed, and to spread the word. I won't mention his name because I know he prefers a low profile. He will chime in if he wants to.

Many of the originals are now gone on to Rainbow Bridge (they loved their animals, so I know that's where they went when they died): Nick Ward, Eric Keyes (Glockpacker), others as well. I'm still here and kicking, so far.

Over time this place gathered folks from all around the state, and today it is the most laid-back, ad-free watering hole for shooters in Florida. Occasionally the admin do a fund-raiser to raise $$$ to keep it going. If one comes up, and you like it here, please donate. It's how we can keep being us.

Hope that helps.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:06 pm

Perfect synopsis, Tony, thanks! And I will keep the donation in mind as well.