securing the neighborhood

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

securing the neighborhood

Post by flcracker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 pm

Been doing some serious thinking about securing my neighborhood for post-SHTF (hurricane). If it looks like we'll get a direct-on storm surge, we're all out of here; but a glancing blow from a different direction that rips off roofs but doesn't flood the neighborhood will lead to us wanting to lock down the neighborhood while we rebuild.

Here's a pic of my AO:

To the north we have what used to be the main road through our small town before they built the bypass. The LEOs may seal off each end, but I won't count on it. There are two commercial properties along this road on the north side of our neighborhood which I don't consider worth including in our "compound" - the owners aren't likely to be around to lend a hand.

To the south is Tampa Bay.

To the west is a nearly defunct marina and a tiki bar restaurant.

To the east are condos with a decent faux-wrought-iron fence around the front along the main drag and on their east side, and a wooden picket fence along the back (west side, closest to us).

Besides the obvious of building a network of neighbors whom I can trust with the plans pre-SHTF (absentee owners/landlords and short-term tenants will be the last to know), the next obvious idea that came to me is to consider stockpiling a couple-hundred yards of chain link fencing and fence poles to secure the north side of the neighborhood (link up to the condo's fence and the wall behind the commercial property at the northwest corner of the neighborhood). We could then have a controlled-access gate at the north end of the middle street, with an OP in the vacant lot to back up the gate-tenders. The east and west streets could then be sealed off.

Please provide your comments, observations, etc. to improve my plans and mindset. For instance, I realize that we may have a false sense of security re: the condo's "back" fence in the event their front fence is breached, but I'm not willing to expand my group now to include any of the condo owners due to the transient nature of their residents (many renters, most everyone would likely bug out and leave the place nearly empty); if they "turn out" after a storm, we'll join forces at that time. If it got really bad, I guess trip wires with lightsticks or screamers (fireworks) could be rigged along the condo's "back" fence. IMHO the waterfront isn't as vulnerable as it looks, simply due to the shallow muddy nature of the tidal flats making them very difficult to cross except with a small boat at high tide.

All contributions/suggestions will be graciously appreciated!!!
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:16 pm

Were are you fields of fire? And final protective line?

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:48 pm

aquajon wrote:Were are you fields of fire? And final protective line?
:-k :-k

ummm.... I haven't totally gotten to that point in my thinking/planning yet. I truly pray it never comes to that, but if pressed I would say that the perimeter streets are pretty open fields of fire with a few areas of concern (houses downrange), and my final protective line would be my fenced yard.

Please feel free to edumacate me and provide suggestions - I never attended Uncle Sugar's School for Wayward Boys. :_r
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

kylec

Post by kylec » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:13 pm

I try to stay smaller. Chain link fence didn't stop people in NOLA and it wont stop them there. Stay smaller and consider setting up debris for roadblocks. However I doubt your local LEOs or the National Guard would like for you to block roads.

I'd be ready to setup a sandbag shelter with an ez-up for shade and keep my cache there. Like I said above, the LEOs and National Guard wouldn't like for people to be carrying around AR-15s with their tactical gear and blocking roadways. YOU don't want to be seen as the hostile one. :m

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:16 am

"The LEOs may seal off each end, "

That's one of the big problems living beachside in Melbourne - the only way to drive in or out is across the main bridges. The coppers always close them down during major storms.

This is why choosing to evac is tough - you prolly won't be allowed back - no matter how slight the damage - for at least a day or two.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: securing the neighborhood

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:42 am

flcracker wrote:
Besides the obvious of building a network of neighbors whom I can trust !!!
in your area this is the key ingredient, the down fall would be the mass numbers in the condo ( too many mouths to feed if they all show up when the smell your BBQ :smile )

the commercial area is also a negative ........possible looting.....

I would think that a smaller group of neighbors all on the same page would be more effective that a few guards that might fall asleep at their post, dont recruit too many.

p.s. I would have a small boat ( 12-14 jon boat ) for neighborhood mobility if the storm surge is worst than expected
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

PPGMD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PPGMD » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:09 pm

Claymores are an under estimated weapon in home defense.
Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream.

mackle

Post by mackle » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:03 pm

Is this also the plan for "Z-DAY"? :smile
ohh la la.....

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:09 am

Dave P wrote:"The LEOs may seal off each end, "

That's one of the big problems living beachside in Melbourne - the only way to drive in or out is across the main bridges. The coppers always close them down during major storms.

This is why choosing to evac is tough - you prolly won't be allowed back - no matter how slight the damage - for at least a day or two.
Yep, that is exactly what happened back when Floyd came through (what a complete cluster F that was!!). It was Floyd and the way they handled it that changed most folks minds (that I know of) about ever leaving again. Rather drown like a rat in my home, than be treated like one trying to get back home.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!