I wrote NRA a letter about Camp Perry

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

I wrote NRA a letter about Camp Perry

Post by glockpacker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:08 pm

I sent it four places.

I wonder if I'll hear from one person.

If I do hear from them, what do I expect? "I'm sorry" just doesn't cut it.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

rug357

Post by rug357 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:17 pm

What happened?
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:31 pm

It's a long story that got lost in the hacker's work.

The short version... I called and asked if I could shoot high power rifle from a prone position using a bipod, because of my disabilities.

The exact answer was "You can do that!"

I drove three days to get up there.

As soon as I'd checked into my motel, they called and said no, I would not be allowed to shoot.

I drove three days to get home.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

neonnight34609
Life Member
Life Member

Post by neonnight34609 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:10 pm

hummm if i remember correct you also had problems at the hernando shoot ..maybe you need to write a letter to yourself lol
"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

freehunter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freehunter » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:24 pm

curious what function would writing a letter to himself do? Suggest you get any future exceptions to rules in writing. Hopefully this will elivate issue from occuring again. Good luck.

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:35 pm

neonnight34609 wrote:hummm if i remember correct you also had problems at the hernando shoot ..maybe you need to write a letter to yourself lol
trouble at Hernando was a forest fire that halted the shoot at 1 in the afternoon. Hard to write rules about that.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:18 am

Sic 'em Eric -- Demand satisfaction!

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:26 am

freehunter wrote: Suggest you get any future exceptions to rules in writing. Hopefully this will elivate issue from occuring again. Good luck.
Agreed. Or at the very least make sure you're talking to someone that packs the gear to make the decision you're asking them to make.
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:45 am

Or at the very least make sure you're talking to someone that packs the gear to make the decision you're asking them to make.
People tend to try and make this my fault. I did nothing wrong. I asked no one to make any decistions.

The guys at Port Malabar encouraged me to go to Camp Perry because, as they put it, they WANT you to shoot there. And this wasn't one guy. It was a number of people on a number of occasions, and they all were saying the same thing... "They will bend over backwards to let you shoot."

I wasn't going to take their collective word on this. That's why I called and asked. I wasn't asking for a decision on any one's part. I simply asked if it were true, is that the policy at Camp Perry, and the lady didn't hesitate for a split second... "You can do that!" was her immediate and definite reply.

If she had stammered or hesitated in any way, I would have taken it further. I saw no need to do that.

I did nothing wrong. I was given bad info by the people you're supposed to trust.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

cvasqu03
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cvasqu03 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:20 am

Wow, that sucks. If you ever need to hear from anyone about things like this you should always try to ask for it in writing, and get the name of the person you're talking to. At the very least, somebody owes you an apology.
If you're going to knock a man down, do it so he can't get up.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:26 am

maybe you should have investigated the shoot a little more rather than just talking to guys at the range, granted you did call, but I would have asked for rules, regs, FAQ whatever be e-mailed or faxed to me before I made travel plans.

just because I drive a car dosent mean I can show up and enter a race at Daytona
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

drayno
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drayno » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:39 am

Glock,

This is my more liberal side comming out but maybe you should contact the ADA and smack it to them. Had I been there I personally would have left upon finding out they way they treated you. I personally think that what they did was wrong, mean spirited, and unethical. In my mind for a buisness, event, or whatever to restrict access to us "walkers" they had better have a damned good reason to have the restrictions, and I don't see money or lazieness as a good reason.

In a competition if the rules state that all shooting must be done from a standing position and that restricts wheelchair bound people from competing then someone should sick the ADA on their a$$.

---J
Why a gun? Because no ones invented a lightsaber yet!

Zullo74
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Zullo74 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:22 pm

There is no case here for the ADA. Here is a link to the official NRA rules governing these matches (NRA rules govern during CMP week when no rule is addressed by the CMP). Although it is very regrettable what happened, the rule book should have been consulted before driving all the way to the National Matches. Glockpacker got the wrong answer from whomever he spoke to.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-w13.pdf
Joe Zullo
NRA Life Member
Spell Checked with ieSpell.com
WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT AT THEM?