Why people ask you to do things they know you hate?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Why people ask you to do things they know you hate?

Post by rob_s » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:12 pm

And by "people", I mean women.

The whole Police thing worked out OK. I didn't hate it. I hated the fact that she didn't allot enough time for the concert, and was in some kind of maniacal rush to get home, but I didn't hate the concert itself.

Next up is Dave Matthews. Two days in a row. Out of town. In Gainesville and Tampa. I have been to Dave Matthews before, so this is something I know I don't like. Don't like the music, don't like the people, don't like anything about it.

Ordinarily I'd be totally stoked to be going to Gainesville as it would be a chance to see some old friends and just catch up with the town, but we're coming in the day of the concert and leaving the next morning, so no fun will be had by me.

I also already know that after the Tampa concert she's going to want to drive all the way home. The 4 hours all the way home. I also know that this will be sold under the guise of "you can sleep the whole way, I'll drive", which in fact means "you can tie yourself into a pretzel and wake up tomorrow unable to walk".

Why on earth are people so obsessed with getting other people to do things they don't want to do or like to do? (and by the first "people" I mean women and by the second "people" I mean men) I'm not bugging her to go hog hunting, or come shoot an IDPA match, or go to the RC track, so why on earth does she want me to go to two goddamn Dave Matthews concerts and waste 3 vacation days?
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:28 pm

Uh, because they're women, that's why. ](*,)

It shows you care, that you have things in common, that you will do things for her, just to show her you care, even when she knows you hate it. (Insert most any Oprah, Dr. Phil, or any other woman on TV line.)

Personally, I think it's some sort of genetic throwback to caveman days. "MMM... Me walk 10 miles to kill white rabbit for you. Brown rabbit, you no like."

Like most married men, I've been there, done that too. Either get used to it, or be alone. (<--Best idea out there.)
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Why people ask you to do things they know you hate?

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:30 pm

rob_s wrote: or go to the RC track
if its over a Sat, there is a new RC track in Dunellon, my son races there Nitro truck class IIRC....I think its every Sat , bring your stuff and drag her along while enroute from one headache to the next :smile

I feel for ya brother I cant stand Dave either
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

craig
Life Member
Life Member

Post by craig » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:37 pm

you could always catch the 48 hour flu the day before departure. :smile
obama's health plan is a remake of soylent green.

g8rforester
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g8rforester » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:42 pm

I hope that you are at least married to this woman...because if you aren't, you have the patience of a saint!

whitetiger7654

Post by whitetiger7654 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:06 pm

g8rforester wrote:I hope that you are at least married to this woman...because if you aren't, you have the patience of a saint!
I concur. Sounds like a bad relationship from that aspect. I don't drag my girl anywhere I just ask if she would like to go. When she is going somewhere she will ask me to go with her because it is safer for her but I can always say no.

freehunter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freehunter » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:06 pm

Could be worse make you go shopping with her when you want to go hunting. Believe me its easier to goalong that fight when women have their minds set. Good luck you can always wear earplugs during concert.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:35 am

Why do people date/marry people who like to do things that they don't like to do?

:-k

It's the SEX, dude!!!

Not a criticism, my friend - just an observation...... both personally and in others.

My beloved 24-yo step-daughter has been dating a self-centered Neanderthal (I like to call him "Glog") for a couple of years. They met in a college class, first "date" was Subway sandwiches out on the Causeway.... =:vio He's a recovered/ing alcoholic and former prescription drug abuser - been without a driver's license since he was 17 or 18 until recently when he got a Princess license, religous attendance at his "meetings", and has a permanent chip on his shoulder about people/family who know about his "issue" yet "insist" on having a drink in front of him.

She's an RN who busted her butt putting herself through nursing school in record time while working both as a CNA at night and in a hair salon on the weekends. He's just starting his first year of grad school to become a psychotherapist. He talked her into moving out of her garage apartment at our house and into a nice little apartment down the road - which she pays for, since he isn't working (school grants let him "help" with the bills). All summer he's been off from school and has spent the time building up his thumb muscles as he plays World of Warcraft all day long - no thought of a summer job, in fact, he talks about how much he's been enjoying not having to do anything this summer.

Meanwhile, she's working 40+ hours a week as an RN plus still handling her Saturday clients at the salon. When she wants to go out dancing with her friends, he always has some reason not to want to go (I don't feel like it, people DRINK in the bar! :eek , music is too loud, etc.), and gets mad when she goes without him. She has to drag him out of the house if she wants to go kayaking or something else fun. Then to top it off, the oaf has the gall to criticize her for her messy housekeeping habits (read: clothes hit the floor wherever she takes them off) IN FRONT OF HER MOTHER AND ME!!! [-X This from a guy who can't/won't wash a dish, and will stand there talking and watching her cook dinner for him without offering to help.

Yesterday morning I woke up and found her sleeping in our spare bedroom - the second time in the past month that she's slept here after having it out with him over one thing or another. Told me that she'd had a "rough night". Text-messaged her Mom and asked "Mom, do you like Glog?". Text-messaged her sister (the new lawyer) and said "I broke up with Glog AGAIN". Me and her brothers and uncle have the bearings lubed on the utility trailers and we're just chawmping at the bit waiting for her to say "Come get his crap and dump it at his Momma's house".

The only reasons I can come up with for her staying with him so long are:

- good sex
- a wierd similarity between his looks (overweight, scruffy beard, unkempt hair) and her a$$hole father's looks
- the old "I can change him" attitude
- the old "look how much he's changed his life for the better" attitude
- the old "I've invested so much time in this relationship, maybe if I stick it out a while longer he'll come around attitude
- good sex

#-o ](*,) #-o ](*,) #-o ](*,) #-o ](*,) #-o ](*,) #-o

We're hoping that the 2 nice young English guys that her best girlfriend had visiting a month ago, or the 2 nice young Scottish guys that the same girlfriend had visit last week, or Glog's insistence at ignoring how absolutely SWEET of a deal he's HAD will be the straw that broke the camel's back and make her dump his a$$ for good this time. This gal is a rare jewel, and will make someone a wonderful wife one day. Hopefully she's finally realized that Glog has a LONG way to go before he makes someone a decent husband.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:40 am

I guess I'm the opposite. I don't understand why anyone would be with someone that's exactly like them. I want someone with other interests/hobbies than mine. I just don't want them to try and force those hobbies on me. #-o
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:00 am

rob_s wrote:I guess I'm the opposite. I don't understand why anyone would be with someone that's exactly like them. I want someone with other interests/hobbies than mine. I just don't want them to try and force those hobbies on me. #-o
I totally agree - being with your twin would get boring quick. But the key here is that the two people with different interests/hobbies should take pleasure in sharing what is important to their partner, not be forced into it.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

GunnyHiway
Life Member
Life Member

Post by GunnyHiway » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:18 am

Bring her to the Van Halen concert when it comes to Florida. :eek
The M14 does my talking !

CRIMSON TIDE !!!

Gentle Ben
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gentle Ben » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 am

Does she do things with you that she might not be interested in or simply despises? If so, then you've got give and take...if not, then there's a problem.

Dave Matthews though... #-o ](*,) :-# #-o ](*,)
Boresight Solutions LLC - FFL/SOT
6972 NE 3rd Avenue
Miami, FL
305-439-2662
info@boresightsolutions.com
FFL/SOT - Specializing in Plastic Surgery for Hard-Use Hardware.

whitetiger7654

Post by whitetiger7654 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:23 am

GunnyHiway wrote:Bring her to the Van Halen concert when it comes to Florida. :eek
Or if you really want to freak her our a Depeche Mode concert.

bigpapi83

Post by bigpapi83 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:31 am

I think the biggest thing here is that she really needs more girlfriends to do this kinda stuff with.

My last ex and I had some clashing music tastes and whenever she wanted to go to a concert I couldn't stand (Dave would be way up there on concerts I can't stand) it would be a great chance for her to get some girl time.

2 DMB concerts, and traveling one's at that, sucks. I really feel for ya here Rob, but dragging her to concerts she won't like won't help ya win. It's just gonna give her ammo the next time she wants to guilt you into something you don't want to do...."remember when you dragged me to see that terrible band _______??? well now you were going to Celine Dion"
Toby Keith: "They won't break me, nooooooo, I'll switch from boots to bald headed eagles, I'll shove a bald headed eagle up your ass."

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:43 am

That's why I don't do it. :smile

The one thing that these concerts buy me is "me" time for doing the things she doesn't want to (or I don't want her to) do. =D>

Erik
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Erik » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:45 am

It's the SEX, dude!!!
I would tend to agree. As men (I am 23 so I am at the peek of my drive) tend to do things because in the end we hope to get "something" in return. Maybe it's just because my age, but women are really annoying. When I have conversations with them all I hear is, "Blah blah blah I'm annoying." ](*,) For instance (Hypothetically in a typical situation, not speaking for yours personally), she wants to go to this concert and drive straight home. Which a man probably doesn't want to do, correct? Now if one were to say, "Hey hun I rather not. Instead, why don't we get a hotel and relax tonight, and drive home in the morning" [-X All of a sudden you see a storm coming, hurricane bitch is here ready to serve some bitch-a-roni. Not only will the typical man be driving straight home, you'll listen to her nag and complain about how lazy the man is. Then when you get home, best believe you aren't getting any, little lone sleeping in the same bed. You'll be out on the couch waking up the next day with a crick in your neck because the pillows stuffed with cement weren't "tempurpudic" to your liking. =:mad That will probably go on until you buy her something to help her simple mind forget the "mistake" you made by wanting sleep.
which in fact means "you can tie yourself into a pretzel and wake up tomorrow unable to walk".
They do love seeing you get into the acrobatic positions, similar to the couch. They feel better about themselves when the wake up and see you uncomfortably stuffed in the couch, bending every which way, wrapping a table cloth around you like a burrito in efforts to keep yourself warm. Then they try to start an arguement with you and ask, "Why did you use that ity bity tiny sheet to sleep?" What you really want to say, "Bitch cause you hid all the comforters that were in the closet!" ;=bg What one says though is, "Ohh hunny I had a better sleep than I have had in weeks. (Even though you can't bend down to tie your shoes because you back is so messed up.)

Why on earth are people so obsessed with getting other people to do things they don't want to do or like to do?
It's similar to dogs walking on a leash. Whoever leads is the alpha dog. Just a control issue. Again not implying you are a dog, but she just wants control of the situation. When I'm with my girlfriend, I always ask what she would like to do and rarely say, "Hey, this is what we are going to do." I don't even bother suggesting something like range time, hunting, or paintball. Why, because I dont want her to do something she doesn't want to. For some reason I think women like testing men and purposely like to see if we will do stuff they know we dont like to do. -:x
Could be worse make you go shopping with her

for instance. They know we don't like shopping, but waking up on a nice Saturday morning, your first day off for the week. What does she do? "Hunny, can we go shopping and waste the whole day, and all I'll probably get is a drink while we walk like zombies throughout the mall?" To go to the original thesis; if we do we get laid. :ber If not, say hello stuffed cement pillows!

If and when we do decide to talk to them.. I love their response to making us men do things we don't want to... "I just want to spend time with you." That just makes me laugh. (On a side note, don't laugh out loud in front of her. Bad for you [-X [-X is all I can say.) "Well why don't we go do something we both would enjoy like taking a sniper class, or tactical training (JK). Then her selfish ways shine like the sun. "Well I don't want to do that, so why don't we go shopping so we can have time to talk and be with each other. ](*,) ](*,)

Again: if we do we get laid. If not, say hello stuffed cement pillows!
Either get used to it, or be alone. (<--Best idea out there.)
Sometimes I feel the same way. I was just talking with my friend Jay last night about this. If I were still with my ex, then I would be spending all my time with her, spending money on her selfish a$$, and wouldn't be able to do what I like when I like without having to hear it from mrs. slave driver deamon (It's not a coincidence that when women have their pictures taken their eyes are red. :-k :-k It's not the reflection, its just reality). I swear, sometimes I had the feeling of my soul blowing up (Soul) rw: when she looked at me in disappointment...haha. I'm sure all men have had that feeling at some point in their life with them, and quite frankly there is nothing worse.

I guess all I am trying to get across is that vagina rules this planet. =D> =D> If there wasn't vagina on the earth a few things would probably happen; (1) serial murders would increase 984579028345074%, (2) there would be no need for women and probably would become extinct within a year, (3) forearms on man would increase ten-fold (We'd have a bunch of Popeye's running around), (4) men as a whole would become less stressed, and ultimately lead longer, healthier lives. :smile

Rob this was more for comical relief, and hopefully will lighten your situation with your wife. Although, it is the truth...haha.

Good luck!

Erik
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS SIGNATURE IS FANCY!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:35 pm

I built up several brownie points so I could have guys over for those AK build parties..................give and take man
Last edited by Rentprop1 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:11 pm

Because they (she) can and we (you) will. A simple response to one of life's true mystery's.

Flcracker; pm me your address, I have a real nice baseball bat you can have for a special moment for someone's boyfriend.

Jeepsnguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jeepsnguns » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:55 pm

Just curious how old are you Rob?
I turned 50 last month.
This Saturday my wife of 19 years is taking my 14 yr old son and his buddy and his buddy's mom to see Linkin Park in Tampa.
Good freaking riddance to them.
I say that because there is no goddamn way I will go see linkin freakin park.
I'm going to Ft. Myers to a good buddy's family reunion.
I'm gonna see a bunch of people I haven't seen in almost 30 years.
You gotta establish guidelines from the very start of your relationship.
Don't let "your better half" call the shots!
No offense to any ladies on this forum!
Regards,
Jon
"If you put your nose really close to the screen and inhale deeply while reading these, you can almost taste the crazy." Waldo1

pyrguns2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pyrguns2003 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:24 pm

No offense taken. :smile

Just wanted to say, that when you mesh with someone, there is no my way, or your way, or what you want to do, or what I want to do.

Until I found my recent, and I can really say "true love", it was like that. Now that I look back on previous relationships, I realize they weren't right no matter how it hurt to let them go.
I know now what real internal true love is.

Now that I have found "the one", it's just so easy breezy, go as we go, together or not, whatever way of life. Through thick or thin. We don't argue, fuss or fight.

If I want to go do something, he usually wants to go, to be with me and have fun beside me to experience my joy with me.
If he wants to go somewhere, he can go himself, or I go with him to enjoy his happiness as well.
Never any hum drum pucker face because he doesn't want to go. He enjoys seeing me happy (visa versa) and therefore it makes him happy (visa versa)
He enjoys what I bring to his life, and I enjoy what he brings to mine.
We experience life together.

We would die for each other. We will be happy/sad for each other. We will suffer for each other. No questions asked, no other considerations thought of.

I wish you the same happiness Rob. Open up and be content. Enjoy her and her happiness. Invite her to enjoy yours.
Experience life's journeys/events together. :smile
http://www.gunstampa.com
$15.00 FSN Transfers!!!
Wain Roberts Firearms
5631 70th Ave N
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
727-544-7935
Lic FFL for over 35 yrs!

Custom hydrographic printing and firearms refinishing
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
863-797-4226