IRC deputy shoots himself in hand at VBHS

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Post Reply
User avatar
photohause
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 3024
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: Indian River County

IRC deputy shoots himself in hand at VBHS

Post by photohause » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:05 am

http://treasurecoast.fl.newsmemory.com/ ... ubscriber&


IRC deputy shoots himself in hand at VBHS
Tess Sheets Treasure Coast Newspapers USA TODAY NETWORK - FLORIDA
VERO BEACH - Rescue officials responded to Vero Beach High School Friday morning after a deputy shot himself in the hand, Assistant Fire Chief Cory Richter said.
While the deputy was attempting to clear his weapon, the firearm discharged, according to Maj. Eric Flowers, Indian River County Sheriff's Office spokesman.
One bullet struck the deputy between his ring and middle fingers.
The incident occurred at 7:49 a.m. on the high school campus, where training was scheduled Friday, Flowers said.
No students were on campus and no damage was caused to the school.
While EMS was en route,
deputies on scene applied a tourniquet and gauze to the man's wound, according to Flowers The deputy was transported to Indian River Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.



Place your bets ladies & gents...
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 6366
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Sarasota

Re: IRC deputy shoots himself in hand at VBHS

Post by g.willikers » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:28 pm

And the police are always telling us not to defend ourselves, call 911.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

User avatar
photohause
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 3024
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: Indian River County

Re: IRC deputy shoots himself in hand at VBHS

Post by photohause » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Okay, I'll start the game...

Glock
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:49 pm
Location: Palm Beach

Re: IRC deputy shoots himself in hand at VBHS

Post by Water Rat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:14 pm

photohause wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:51 pm
Okay, I'll start the game...

Glock
I'll finish the game....stupidity.

groundsclown
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:45 pm
Location: Pinellas

Re: IRC deputy shoots himself in hand at VBHS

Post by groundsclown » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:27 pm

photohause wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:05 am
http://treasurecoast.fl.newsmemory.com/ ... ubscriber&

One bullet struck the deputy between his ring and middle fingers.

While EMS was en route, deputies on scene applied a tourniquet...
Seriously? A f/;k'n tourniquet for that?
I'm no EMT nor was I ever a PJ but it's my understanding that a tourniquet is only to be used when the risk of bleeding out outweighs the risk of losing the affected limb.

I have a hard time believing he would've bled out from a GSW to the hand....Rub some dirt on that bitch & move on. Christ we've become such pussies.

User avatar
Taco
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2738
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: Minneola, Fl

Re: IRC deputy shoots himself in hand at VBHS

Post by Taco » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:52 pm

groundsclown wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:27 pm
photohause wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:05 am
http://treasurecoast.fl.newsmemory.com/ ... ubscriber&

One bullet struck the deputy between his ring and middle fingers.

While EMS was en route, deputies on scene applied a tourniquet...
Seriously? A f/;k'n tourniquet for that?
I'm no EMT nor was I ever a PJ but it's my understanding that a tourniquet is only to be used when the risk of bleeding out outweighs the risk of losing the affected limb.

I have a hard time believing he would've bled out from a GSW to the hand....Rub some dirt on that bitch & move on. Christ we've become such pussies.
Your information is out of date by a few decades- ends up the old risks were overblown. There is almost no risk with a properly applied tourniquet kept on for less than 2 hours. Complications for extended periods or incorrect application tend to be nerve related rather than limb death. The requirement now, I believe, is right around half a cup of bleeding. Even in controlled environments like scheduled surgeries, many times a tourniquet is the first step rather then a last resort.

As always, this is not medical advice either. You can find out more and sign up for a class (basic classes are free or almost so) at stopthebleed.org.
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: IRC deputy shoots himself in hand at VBHS

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:08 am

I bet the liberals will count this as another school shooting in their fake statistics.
Libertas aut mortis!

Post Reply