First Traffic Citation In 44 Years!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
RevCharlie
Life Member
Life Member

First Traffic Citation In 44 Years!

Post by RevCharlie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:31 pm

The cop said I went through a red light, however, it was clearly yellow.

Ticket reads: "Fail to obey a traffic control device, made a left turn on a red arrow."

Advise Is Sought :-k
/:f

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: First Traffic Citation In 44 Years!

Post by FfNJGTFO » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:38 pm

RevCharlie wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:31 pm
The cop said I went through a red light, however, it was clearly yellow.

Ticket reads: "Fail to obey a traffic control device, made a left turn on a red arrow."

Advise Is Sought :-k
Risk/benefit calculation. What are the penalties for the infraction (how many points, when do they expire, & what is the fine) and is it worth fighting in Court (and paying a lawyer for all of that)... Or are you fighting "on principle..." (combating an "injustice...")? And, if you are, do you have evidence (i.e. dash cam) that can show the light was still yellow when entering the intersection?

[smilie=popcorn.gif]

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Taco » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:47 pm

I received a ticket a few years ago...

I was able to take 'the deal' on the ticket which was a slightly reduced fine with a withheld judgement (no points, no insurance hit) with online traffic school.
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:29 pm

That's the way. I got a ticket in Cape Coral about 10 years ago. Yes, I earned it. Cops were decent, gaver me a "failure to obey a traffic control device" and told me about the online school. To tell the truth, I'm behaving better on the road since then, even though it wasn't onerous. BTW, I handed one of them my license and CWL, he asked what I was carrying, and asked me to keep my hands on the top of the wheel. No drama.

Pay the fine, take the course. Yeah, I know, the yellows get you sometimes. I just take it easier and stop if they just turned yellow.
NRA Endowment Member
PhD from University of Hard Knocks

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:50 pm

I got pulled over for that bullshit years ago and fought it.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:05 pm

too bad he didn't make you blow, you might have got out of the ticket [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

RevCharlie
Life Member
Life Member

Post by RevCharlie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:05 pm
too bad he didn't make you blow, you might have got out of the ticket [smilie=011.gif]
Oh Rent, I made him that offer! However, he said nobody blows better than Rent! [smilie=bounce-74.gif] [smilie=jestor.gif] [smilie=back.gif]

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Taco wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:47 pm
I received a ticket a few years ago...

I was able to take 'the deal' on the ticket which was a slightly reduced fine with a withheld judgement (no points, no insurance hit) with online traffic school.
Do this fighting it in court and trying to get it entirely dismissed likely won't work
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 pm

The traffic school / no points / withheld adjudication / reduced fine route is definitely the most cost effective route.
If you haven't had a ticket in 44 years, you should be eligible for that option, but you have to elect it within 30 days of the citation (check the back of the ticket to make sure.)

I also agree that a $200 dash cam is a darn good investment. Not only can it potentially exonerate you in cases where you're wrongly accused, but it can also keep some scumbag who causes an accident from skating on liability because he denies it, his insurance company believes him and you have no witnesses.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Ticket clinic.....89 bucks (roughly)...no points.....no school.....and no court! THEY go for you!

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:27 pm

That’s $89 plus the fine, & court costs. My wife got her first ticket a few years ago. The judge has everyone’s driving record in front of him. When it was her turn, he said “this is amazing. Was this your first ticket ever”? She replied “yes it was”, to which the judge said “case dismissed”. GARY.

wjbarricklow
Life Member
Life Member

Post by wjbarricklow » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:54 pm

If the cop's wrong, I fight it. I wouldn't care what it cost.
...and they think I'm compensating for something?

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Charlie, I haven't had a ticket in 36 years, I can afford the points, and my insurance will let me slide on one without dinging me.

I would take a shot at just going up there, pleading not guilty and telling my story.

That's why we have the court system in the first place.

First off, the cop might get involved in something else and not show.

Case dismissed!

Secondly, the judge really does have peoples records up on his monitor, so he might do like Gary's Mother and let me go.

In the event he didn't, I might tell him about my retirement and my fixed income situation and ask, in light of my record that the fine be reduced to court costs, or waived completely.

If none of that works, I'm not out any more than I was to start with, unless the guy is a REAL dickhead!

You might not be the talker that I am, or comfortable in that sort of situation, but that's what I would do.

The fine and court costs are already on the table, if I roll the dice and lose, I dont have to lay down any more, I just say "Thank you your honor" and walk away.
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Dashcam best money you will ever spend. :ber
"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:46 pm

TC6969 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 pm
Charlie, I haven't had a ticket in 36 years, I can afford the points, and my insurance will let me slide on one without dinging me.

I would take a shot at just going up there, pleading not guilty and telling my story.

That's why we have the court system in the first place.

First off, the cop might get involved in something else and not show.

Case dismissed!

Secondly, the judge really does have peoples records up on his monitor, so he might do like Gary's Mother and let me go.

In the event he didn't, I might tell him about my retirement and my fixed income situation and ask, in light of my record that the fine be reduced to court costs, or waived completely.

If none of that works, I'm not out any more than I was to start with, unless the guy is a REAL dickhead!

You might not be the talker that I am, or comfortable in that sort of situation, but that's what I would do.

The fine and court costs are already on the table, if I roll the dice and lose, I dont have to lay down any more, I just say "Thank you your honor" and walk away.
It could also depend on the prosecutor. I recall in one municipality, the prosecutor would sit and listen to the defendants even before trial began and work out some plea deals, just on these minor traffic offenses, just to avoid having take the cases to trial. But, it you do elect to go to trial remember this. The judge has to deal with both the prosecutor and the LEOs involved on a regular basis. He knows both very well. He's probably never met you before in his life. If it comes down to "I said/they said...." who do you think the judge is going to believe first???

Best shot is to talk with the prosecutor first and maybe cut a deal.

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 am

REDinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:29 pm
That's the way. I got a ticket in Cape Coral about 10 years ago. Yes, I earned it. Cops were decent, gaver me a "failure to obey a traffic control device" and told me about the online school. To tell the truth, I'm behaving better on the road since then, even though it wasn't onerous. BTW, I handed one of them my license and CWL, he asked what I was carrying, and asked me to keep my hands on the top of the wheel. No drama.

Pay the fine, take the course. Yeah, I know, the yellows get you sometimes. I just take it easier and stop if they just turned yellow.
Why, in the world, would you do that?!?
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

Flame Red
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Flame Red » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 am

Here in Mosquito County, they purposely time each red light so you HAVE to stop at every single intersection. No hitting a series of green lights here on any roads. The lights are 5 minutes each, and the yellow signal seems pretty short to me. They have red light cameras at most intersections. Sit at the intersections waiting at lights and no one going through the intersections. They don't care to maximize traffic flow. They only care about revenue enhancement here, and incentivizing you to use the MOST expensive toll roads in the country! =:wvr
Dirty Harry doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody!

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Casual » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:40 pm

So adding to this discussion...

At a certain speed, traffic school can be mandatory... what happens if you are not eligible for traffic school due to a CDL
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Red light tickets are hard to beat. It's your word against the LEO. Dash cams work well for this, but still a red light charge is one of the hardest to win.

I beat a speeding ticket in Daytona Beach shores. We just left the bar and I was smoking a cigar on the bike. The cop called my wife a nasty girl and that's when the judge said case dismissed. Turned out my attorney played golf on Sunday's with the judge. It still cost some coin. We had an early trial time so we had to drive up the night before. Then of course the victory celebration cost me another night. It was still worth it just to see the case dismissed because he called my wife a nasty girl. The look on both of there faces was priceless.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

RevCharlie
Life Member
Life Member

Post by RevCharlie » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks, everyone! :ber

At least I have some different ideas to toss around in my head! :-k