D-Day +74

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
dammitgriff

D-Day +74

Post by dammitgriff » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:33 pm

A place we should have never been in the first place...
No truer words.
Have we learned our lesson? It appears we have not. Hard times ahead for the country.
R/Griff

SteyrAUG
Life Member
Life Member

Re: D-Day +74

Post by SteyrAUG » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Trouter3 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:24 am
Can't agree my friend, spent 19 months over there wounded in combat, 30 months in rehabs taken away in a body bag because they thought I was a Kia, but that's another story and we f#;.,/g lost that war , the communist VC beat the crap outa us they were great combat soldiers and I have much respect for them, it was their country they knew how to fight and survive in jungle warfare, we knew s';t, our weapons didn't even work in that climate and if we didn't negotiate a diplomatic face saving solution to end it they could have fought on for years, Nixon wanted a face saving solution to the war and he got it, there was no so Vietnamese army they were the worse soldiers in the world, cowards, but then again they were primitive people, first time they ever used utensils was when they were forced to service by their government, didn't even bury their dead, let them decay and plow em into the rice paddies for fertilizer ... Very bad time for this country, divisive, a place we should have never been in the first place ...but then again that's an opinion of someone who served and I do respect yours be it right or wrong in my eyes ...

Peace and tranquility.....
Again, not saying we won, but we certainly didn't lose. Otherwise the day after we left they would have taken the embassy. But I agree, once the french lost their colony, we should have let it end there.
Steyr808@yahoo.com
FFL Broward County, FL

rug357

Post by rug357 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:22 pm

I have several family members who served in Vietnam as ROK solders and their view of US involvement in Vietnam was that US didn't win or loose because they were in totally different "game" to start with. VC and NVA were playing the war game and US was playing the political game. US may have not lose the political game but the VC/NVA won the war game. US just paid $$$ for both games and bleed.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Trouter3 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:24 am
Vietnamese army they were the worse soldiers in the world, cowards, but then again they were primitive people, first time they ever used utensils was when they were forced to service by their government,
That's not what I've heard from family members who served over their between 1967 and 1971 in the ROK military. One of my cousin served with a unit of Vietnamese Rangers for a while and he said they were dedicated hardcore warriors of first class. Others members told me Montagnards in the mountains were man-to-man the best fighters in the country. They all did have mostly (not all) low opinion of US solders...especially officers.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:36 pm

A sad chapter, regardless. It is particularly bittersweet given the current status of Vietnam. A place I would want to live? Hell no, no American would (I would hope) given its political system. But factoring in everything, compared to maybe half of the world (at least)...you could do worse.

Depressing that we lost so much over this.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

MAVRIK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MAVRIK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:45 pm

ROK's were a very tough group of soldiers. I was all over Nam in 68' (crewchiefed and support C130's which we used for recon, rescue , and recovery ops), anyways, I think it was in June of 68 a NVA satchel team got to some of a couple of the C130's I was teamed up with on a base called Tuy Wha. the NVA completed their mission but lost their lives badly to the ROK Marines, soldiers. I will not describe what they did to to the NVA. Yup, any war and any part of is hell.
Growing old is mandatory,,,,,,,Growing up is optional!!

rug357

Post by rug357 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:00 pm

There were 3 main ROK units in Vietnam. There was the ROK Marine Blue Dragon, ROK Army Capital (Tiger) and ROK Army White Horse Division.
My family members were in the Blue Dragon and White Horse Division. They fought in Vietnam to win which meant your enemy had to fear you...and VC/NVA did fear ROK units for good reason. Areas where ROK units were active were usually the quiet parts of Vietnam.

george_995
Life Member
Life Member

Post by george_995 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Forever respected, the Greatest Generation.

My grandad served in the Navy as a Seabee in WW II, so I'm told. He was a great man, he passed back in 2001 at the age of 88yo. I wonder if there's many WWII veterans that saw the front lines still alive?

/:f
Ni he la na gaofar la na scoilb.

The thing about Smart mother f***ers is that sometimes, they sound like Crazy mother f***ers to Stupid mother f***ers ....

rug357

Post by rug357 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Any US solder that saw combat in WWII would have to be 90 y/o or more now so not many left.
When I was in school there were many teachers who served during WWII. I had a math teacher who was a antiaircraft gunner on a navy cruiser in the pacific, a PE teacher who was a B-25 bomber pilot over China/Burma, a history teacher who was a radio operator for artillery unit in Eurpope and a chemistory teacher who was a tank (Stewart tank) driver in Europe and also liberated a concentration camp in Germany in April of 1945. Also had couple neighbors growing up that served in WWII. None of those people I knew are still alive.

MAVRIK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MAVRIK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:51 pm

rug357 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:11 pm
Any US solder that saw combat in WWII would have to be 90 y/o or more now so not many left.
When I was in school there were many teachers who served during WWII. I had a math teacher who was a antiaircraft gunner on a navy cruiser in the pacific, a PE teacher who was a B-25 bomber pilot over China/Burma, a history teacher who was a radio operator for artillery unit in Eurpope and a chemistory teacher who was a tank (Stewart tank) driver in Europe and also liberated a concentration camp in Germany in April of 1945. Also had couple neighbors growing up that served in WWII. None of those people I knew are still alive.
Very sad,,,but thankful.
Growing old is mandatory,,,,,,,Growing up is optional!!

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:14 pm

ROK Marines, Special forces were good fighting units, regular army a f#;.,/g waste of time, we used to bribe the sobs to stay and fight, they used to steal from us and disappear, we used to call em slickly boys, they didn't like us and we didn't like them. I've got nothing against people of Asian decent or Vietnamese folks, They were forced to serve by a corrupt government, they didn't want to be there and didn't understand why we were there and what the war was all about, again the VC and NVA were take no prisoners kick ass fighting folks, didn't take much substance to keep them going, the bastards could've fought on forever, I'm not making any comments to contradict my fellow fighting men, we were in different combat situations, but there is a whole different perspective being in a front line infantry unit, death all around you constantly from my perspective we didn't have a clue one as to fighting a guerilla war, you can't bomb a guerrila
enemy into submission they f#;.,/g lived on zero food in underground tunnels with hospitals, and you'll never make me change my thinking we got our ass handed to us bad and got a face saving political halt to the conflict, do you really think we would have left if we were winning, no way, the shithead military leaders were about to ask for 250'000 more combat troops to sustain the war effort when the American political machine said enough is enough, intelligence told the pentagon honchos that the VC and NVA could keep this going on forever, let's quit bullshitting the American people tell them the truth like Walter Croncrite said on national tv "I regret to tell the American people This war is unwinnable " and get the f/;k outa here b4 something catastrophic happens ..

Peace and tranquilly to all