D-Day +74

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
photohause
Life Member
Life Member

D-Day +74

Post by photohause » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:23 am

What new gun my dear, this old thing?

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: D-Day +74

Post by flcracker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:05 am

I have always felt that one of the most amazing things about the photos of just-emptied D-day landing craft, is that they do not have multiple trails of runny [smilie=042.gif] and vomit on the decks. Those men must have had balls of steel - most people would have been shitting their pants and puking their guts out for the last ten minutes or so before the ramp dropped.

Or, maybe that is why the trouser legs were tucked into the tops of the combat boots..... :-k
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Very glad modern warfare tactics have mostly shifted away from amphib landings.

R/Griff

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:07 pm

dammitgriff wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:23 pm
Very glad modern warfare tactics have mostly shifted away from amphib landings.

R/Griff
If we had ended up invading North Korea, it would have been by amphib. You should check out some of the training videos the military has released with it, just the beaches getting blanketed in smoke for concealment while amphib vehicles race up the coast.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG2jMahcIWw
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

dammitgriff

D-Day +74

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:31 pm

After the landing, the push to the interior...
Didn’t work out very well for us at the Chosin Reservoir in the winter of 1950.
R/Griff

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Chosin was also a horde of Chinese troops, wasn't it? Not a bunch of half fed, starving Norks.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Great generation of Americans at that time, unquestionable alliance and dedication to the flag and county ...young men gave their lives on those beaches of Europe, never hesitated to defend the way of life they loved. came back in flag draped coffins, or were burried in military cemeteries overseas with thanks from their country, paying the ultimate honor for all soldiers of all wars, who gave the ultimate, their young lives for the preservation of our system, honor their sacrifice always, now these f#;.,/g hippies wont stand for the national anthem hang em all I say, football players unimportant folks, they know not what country and honor mean,. to the Op nothing to be embarrassed about shitting in your fatigues, I've done it numerous times in south east Asia .. It's part of the process of surviving horrific events a natural reaction to fear and being horrified ...

Peace and tranquility

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:45 pm

The chosin reservoir battle in Korea was probably the battle that finally changed McArthurs thinking that there were no Chinese troops at the Manchurian border of the Yalu river, 2 million came over the border and almost destroyed the entire UN army, the Troops fought bravely in 20-30 below zero temps in the battle. Truly a famous battle, many heroes stepped forth at that reservoir and with the orderly retreat south, the 7th Cav lost their colors in no Korea . ..McArthurs blunder that the troops would be home by Christmas destroyed his legacy for sure ... Great historical time for our military we learned a lot and lost many ...

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Skoll wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm
Chosin was also a horde of Chinese troops, wasn't it? Not a bunch of half fed, starving Norks.
Correct. Chosin was a cake walk - right up until the ChiCom army came rolling in. Then our guys got pounded. I watched a documentary of it on either Netflix, Amazon, or Roku Channel (can't remember which one right now) but it was really something to see how those guys fought a bitter retreat.
I was part of the SOLUTION, were YOU?

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:26 pm

If you enjoy military history great book on this subject ...The Frozen Hours, a novel of the Korean conflict, by Jeff Shaara, tells it all about the Chosin reservoir...fast reading. .....

dammitgriff

D-Day +74

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:13 pm

tcpip95 wrote:
Skoll wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm
Correct. Chosin was a cake walk - right up until the ChiCom army came rolling in. Then our guys got pounded. I watched a documentary of it on either Netflix, Amazon, or Roku Channel (can't remember which one right now) but it was really something to see how those guys fought a bitter retreat.
I saw that, too. Think my (step)father was there or near there, he would never talk about that godforsaken country. He was in a recon unit. Would love to piece his location and movements together.

R/Griff

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:58 am

I felt kind of horrible today... I met Sweep for lunch and picked up 3 cases of 8mm ammo for the mg42 and on their way home realized what day it was. ](*,) #-o
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:15 am

Normandy was a huge undertaking.
Forgotten in all the remembrances on June 6th are that all the islands taken in the Pacific had a 'D' day. Also North Africa, Sicily, Anzio, &c.
Anzio was a real mess. /:f
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:33 am

Rentprop1 ... Wow do you own a MG42 that's awesome, those go for big bucks, I priced one at a show and I believe it went for 30 grand plus ..I've got a original Thompson M1 fun gun to shoot, burns up ammo like crazy, the one I've got is the stick magazines not th drum .. Where do you fire it?

_: _: _:

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 am

Trouter3 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:33 am
Rentprop1 ... Wow do you own a MG42 that's awesome, those go for big bucks, I priced one at a show and I believe it went for 30 grand plus ..I've got a original Thompson M1 fun gun to shoot, burns up ammo like crazy, the one I've got is the stick magazines not th drum .. Where do you fire it?

_: _: _:
its actually a Yugo M53, but Ive sourced a MG42 top cover, and anti-aircraft sight for it and plan to have some German markings put on it....they are basically the exact same except for what I've mentioned and changing out....mine is a post sample machine gun...its 85% finished, I didn't have any 8mm for a test fire....hoped to have it ready for this weekend, but been too busy at the shop. I"m a big fan of the older WWII subguns, my Grease Gun is my favorite, next to the M14.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:34 am

Rent, that's really cool, I used to collect modern military weapon therefore my Thompson, only one left, I had quite a collection but my favorite believe or not was a rare M1 Garand, Springfield armory, matching serial numbers on all parts and check this out on the pistol grip on the stock was also matching serial numbers unheard of, I had it authenticated a few times and it was original, bought it from dealer in Long Island NY for $500 it was packed in cosmoline guy couldn't see how rare it was, I figured if it was packed in cosmoline hadda be in decent shape. It was in real good condition ..I've had a few of my bayonets which I also collected on displayed with my military rifles, Springfield, carbine, grease gun, Thompson etc on display at the military museum at West Point ..I sold the entire lot at one time, got a lot of money for them but I'm stupid, I should kept them or some of my favorites, money is the root of all evil, I kick myself in the ass every morning for selling the Garand ...

:ham'r :ham'r :ham'r

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:05 pm

P5 guy wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:15 am
Normandy was a huge undertaking.
Forgotten in all the remembrances on June 6th are that all the islands taken in the Pacific had a 'D' day. Also North Africa, Sicily, Anzio, &c.
Anzio was a real mess. /:f
My father always felt that Gen. Mark Clark and Gen. Lucas should have been brought up on charges for what they DIDN'T do at Anzio. Clark had all the ULTRA intelligence that said the Germans were caught completely out of position when they landed at Anzio, but Clark was never a believer in ULTRA, so he allowed Lucas to sit on the beach for 3 days, which allowed Kesselring to bring up reinforcements. They got their asses beaten for no reason.
I was part of the SOLUTION, were YOU?

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:55 pm

A lot of these Generals were on ego trips, example was McArthur during the Korean conflict, he acted like he was a dictator, made tactical mistakes predicated on him thinking he couldn't be wrong, he was very wrong when the Chinese entered the war, a very self centered person, Truman put a stop to that and fired him.in the Vietnam conflict Westmoreland was another, his top priority was body count, many body counts were fudged not correct, he never realized you couldn't bomb those primitive people into submission and when fighting a guerilla war you can't win when you can't tell civilians from military soldiers, everybody was the enemy, women, children, old men and women. That's why we LOST that war ...we were able to leave, withdraw with dignity and let the enemy take over the country sad way to justify 58 thousand American dead ..

SteyrAUG
Life Member
Life Member

Post by SteyrAUG » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Trouter3 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:55 pm
A lot of these Generals were on ego trips, example was McArthur during the Korean conflict, he acted like he was a dictator, made tactical mistakes predicated on him thinking he couldn't be wrong, he was very wrong when the Chinese entered the war, a very self centered person, Truman put a stop to that and fired him.in the Vietnam conflict Westmoreland was another, his top priority was body count, many body counts were fudged not correct, he never realized you couldn't bomb those primitive people into submission and when fighting a guerilla war you can't win when you can't tell civilians from military soldiers, everybody was the enemy, women, children, old men and women. That's why we LOST that war ...we were able to leave, withdraw with dignity and let the enemy take over the country sad way to justify 58 thousand American dead ..

All points well taken but we didn't lose the war. The enemy destroyed themselves with Tet. We negotiated a conclusion that allowed us to leave, with the assurance that if the North didn't stay in the North that we'd be back. Watergate is what permitted the North to invade the south when the realized Nixon would never get approval from Congress to return to Vietnam and that after his resignation Ford was unlikely to recommit to Vietnam.

After the Paris Agreements we withdrew in March 1973 (completed in August 1973), however the North didn't invade the south until April 1975 almost a full two years after we left. So while we didn't win, we hardly lost. It certainly wasn't the ARVN keeping the commies on their side of the fence.
Steyr808@yahoo.com
FFL Broward County, FL

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:24 am

Can't agree my friend, spent 19 months over there wounded in combat, 30 months in rehabs taken away in a body bag because they thought I was a Kia, but that's another story and we f#;.,/g lost that war , the communist VC beat the crap outa us they were great combat soldiers and I have much respect for them, it was their country they knew how to fight and survive in jungle warfare, we knew s';t, our weapons didn't even work in that climate and if we didn't negotiate a diplomatic face saving solution to end it they could have fought on for years, Nixon wanted a face saving solution to the war and he got it, there was no so Vietnamese army they were the worse soldiers in the world, cowards, but then again they were primitive people, first time they ever used utensils was when they were forced to service by their government, didn't even bury their dead, let them decay and plow em into the rice paddies for fertilizer ... Very bad time for this country, divisive, a place we should have never been in the first place ...but then again that's an opinion of someone who served and I do respect yours be it right or wrong in my eyes ...

Peace and tranquility.....