Metal detecting

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Metal detecting

Post by jwillgym » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:10 am

I'm now semi retired and have been thinking of getting a metal detector to get me off my butt and to the beach(extra plus is girls in skimpy suits). Looks kind of fun, but I want a detector that will also work other places too. Do any of you have recommendations on which detector out of the zillions out there to get? I would like to stay under $400 in case it's not as fun as I think it will be...
IYAOYAS

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Metal detecting

Post by N4KVE » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 am

jwillgym wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:10 am
(extra plus is girls in skimpy suits).
As pleasant as that is to see, don’t forget about the many you will see who shouldn’t be caught dead in a bikini. Enjoy your new hobby. GARY.

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:45 pm

No hands on with these folks, just came across the page...seems to be good info & comparisons.

https://myfinds.metaldetector.com/a-rom ... stern-utah
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:57 pm

I borrowed one from a member here about a year ago when I lost an expensive trucker chain on the woods during some tractor work, I found tons of cut up barber wire and old beer pull tabs , eventually found the chain, also found an aluminum hunters arrow...

I did get sick and tired of bending over and digging to find nothing....YMMV
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Srasel79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Srasel79 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:57 pm
I borrowed one from a member here about a year ago when I lost an expensive trucker chain on the woods during some tractor work, I found tons of cut up barber wire and old beer pull tabs , eventually found the chain, also found an aluminum hunters arrow...

I did get sick and tired of bending over and digging to find nothing....YMMV
Didn't think you ever got tired of bending over [smilie=011.gif]

joker223
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joker223 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:30 pm

I asked someone I know (who has a lot of experience in metal detecting) the same question a few months back. I wanted a basic quality setup for under $300 and he suggested the Garrett 350.

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:28 pm

That reminds me of the time I bought my son a Barnett crossbow when he was 16 or 17.

He immediately fired a bolt into the ground and lost it.

We got the trusty Radio Shack detector out and threw another bolt on the ground to calibrate.

Couldn't find it.

Calibrated again.

Couldn't find it.

Repeat X5.

We finally figured that we had thrown the calibration bolt right on top of the lost one! #-o
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

groundsclown

Post by groundsclown » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 pm

I bought a Garrett Ace 250 several years ago shortly after it was released. Hunted our local beaches a few times but always came up empty handed. Spent more to feed the parking meter than I made. :ham'r
Started searching around athletic fields like soccer, baseball & basketball courts & found a shitload. Several nice gold rings, a few gold chains & some thugs upper "grill".
After my first year of detecting on just weekends I made enough to upgrade to a nicer machine. Sold my Ace 250 but wish I kept it. It did everything my fancy new wizzbang machine does & was lighter & less complex.

Make no mistake though. You WILL find lots of trash....Think of every soda can that some lawn guy has run over and over and over and...each of those little shards will ring up as a good hit.
Like any hobby it can be fun but it'll have it's days. Just don't go into it thinking you'll find shitloads of gold & jewelry. Some months you'll spend more on battery's for the effing thing than you'll make.
I haven't gone out in a few years & my machine hangs up in the shop at work. Relegated to finding lost irrigation valves & the occasional condo keys lost in the turf on their way to/from the pool.

I've ordered from Kellyco several times & they got a wide selection of machines & accessories. I believe they're around the Orlando area.

You'll have to decide if you want to water hunt or land hunt. Each machine is setup differently (different frequency) Most land machines you can submerge the coils (not the controls) without issues but the salt gives a LOT of false hits. Water machines can be completely submerged & the frequencies they use filter out the false positives the salt gives off.
Those are the guys you see chest deep. But water machines don't do as well on land.

P.S.
Watch some youtube vids on how to dig a proper plug. Don't be that guy walking around in a park that has pristine st augustine grass with a effing shovel over his shoulder. We lawn guys tend to come unglued when someone digs gaping holes in our turf. [smilie=cheers1.gif]
If you get a machine & ever make it down to Pinellas shoot me a PM.

One of my best hunts at a local park with baseball & basketball courts.

My total gold finds after my first year.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:42 am

I thought of getting one many years ago but dropped it after I went out with a detecting friend who spent the whole day digging up beer can pull tabs. His dug "coin collection" was all copper, no silver aside from a couple dimes and badly corroded.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwillgym » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks for all the info guys! I have also found through the net that there isn't one that does salt water beach and everywhere else very good. Looking at the Garrett 300/350 and AT Pro, but the AT Pro might be more than I want to spend even it looks to be the one I want...
IYAOYAS