SCOTUS rules in favor of Baker!!!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 am

In a carefully watched decision, SCOTUS has ruled in favor of the Colorado Baker who refused to bake a cake for a LGBTQ couple's wedding....

Hopefully, this will bode well for us in re: our 2A cases that may come before them soon. Still, we need to get more conservatives on the bench.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...ex-couple.html

[smilie=cheers1.gif]

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Baker!!!

Post by tector » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:30 am

Looks like a pretty narrow decision--even Breyer and Kagan were on board. I would not read too much into this as to other issues.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Funny how they didn't go after the most obvious villains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgWIhYAtan4

Everything's done for a reason...

Flame Red
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Flame Red » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:23 pm

About friggin time. Every time you think you have seen it all, the Libiturds come up with some new perversion we are all supposed accept, embrace and outright support. Now at my work, the already had the various types of Faggots as a special category. Now for the newest category they just added - "Questionable". ](*,) I am waiting for them to add Pedophiles next. Maybe then, the Libitards heads will explode. =:wvr

They don't seem to mind that the Indians are the majority of employees. They layoff indiscriminately here in the US (except these special people), while hiring as much as possible in India. Just called me to ask if I would like to volunteer for their next 10% cut here in the US. No incentive to leave, they are just looking for good troopers to leave. You see, there is dangerous underemployment in India that is their top priority. That is a quote.
Dirty Harry doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody!

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:48 pm

tector wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:30 am
Looks like a pretty narrow decision--even Breyer and Kagan were on board. I would not read too much into this as to other issues.
Pretty much, it just tells the Colorado commission they can't discriminate on religions. I got this juicy quote from the Politico article though:

"“The National LGBT Bar Association is devastated by the Supreme Court’s decision,” the group said. “We believe the rights of minority groups to be free from the oppression of a majority religion cannot be infringed. Freedom of religion is an important and cherished right guaranteed in our Constitution, but that right does not and should not give anyone the right to treat certain Americans as second-class citizens.” "
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:18 pm

This is not a blanket decision, it's about the case in Colorado only. Scrotum stopped short of making it a blanket protection for religious freedom.

Someone posted a topic looking for a good lawyer. Problem is a good lawyer is a dead one which defeats the whole notion of a good lawyer.

Hotspur
Life Member
Life Member

Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Baker

Post by Hotspur » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:31 pm

That is a trifle harsh. Perhaps a better analogy is the story of heaven and hell not being up-and-down as we have been led to believe, but being side-by-side and separated by a wooden fence. One day, God is inspecting the property and notices that the fence is in disrepair. He summons the devil and tells him that as the posts are on the devil’s side, it is the devil’s responsibility to repair the fence. The devil laughs and says he has more important things to do than repair fences. God gets upset, and says: “If that fence is not repaired within one week, you will hear from my lawyer.” To which the devil responds: “Your lawyer? Where would you find one?”

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Water Rat wrote:This is not a blanket decision, it's about the case in Colorado only. Scrotum stopped short of making it a blanket protection for religious freedom.

Someone posted a topic looking for a good lawyer. Problem is a good lawyer is a dead one which defeats the whole notion of a good lawyer.
The entire issue was one of property rights, which encompasses the religious freedom issue, and which the SCOTUS purposefully avoided and focused as narrowly as possible on the religion angle.
That’s a shame.
https://mises.org/wire/what-supreme-cou ... e-decision
R/Griff