Home Security System

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Home Security System

Post by FSUnoles » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:23 am

How many of y’all have em and how much did you pay to get it installed if you didn’t do it yourself?

Been going back and forth over it for years, want something basic maybe 6-8 cameras with a fair amount of storage and decent clarity. Obviously like to access/control from phone and stored on a cloud to backup a HD.

No idea where to even start looking, not trying to spend 1000s.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Home Security System

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Honestly you have two choices a $599 system from Sam's Club or Costco..... find a skinny Punk to climb up in your attic and pull the wires or call 870Mike and drop $3 k at a min for a system
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Would a bunch of rottweilers be cheaper?
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:18 pm

Skoll wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:49 pm
Would a bunch of rottweilers be cheaper?
Good dog food isn't cheap. Nevermind the vet bills.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:42 pm

FSUnoles wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:23 am
How many of y’all have em and how much did you pay to get it installed if you didn’t do it yourself?

Been going back and forth over it for years, want something basic maybe 6-8 cameras with a fair amount of storage and decent clarity. Obviously like to access/control from phone and stored on a cloud to backup a HD.

I use "Simplisafe." About $400.00 to purchase all the gear (including door & window sensors, glass break sensor, motion detectors, main unit and main panel, and key fob. And you pick a monitoring plan ($24.95 / month for the "deluxe" plan, $14.95/mo for economy). It's worked fine. Whenever i've "tested" things by setting of the system (either accidentally or on purpose), they call my cell immediately to verify it is or isn't me.

Furthermore, i also have a separate DVR/camera system with cameras placed at variious points outside the house (covering all the approaches) and one or two inside. They also have motion detection and can alert when needed. This, for about $300.00, but definitely worth it.

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:03 pm

You are also going to spend $25-$35 for monthly service. Simpliesafe is $15, but if you want some "Hands On" it goes up to $25
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:20 am

FfNJGTFO wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:42 pm
FSUnoles wrote:

I use "Simplisafe." About $400.00 to purchase all the gear (including door & window sensors, glass break sensor, motion detectors, main unit and main panel, and key fob. And you pick a monitoring plan ($24.95 / month for the "deluxe" plan, $14.95/mo for economy). It's worked fine. Whenever i've "tested" things by setting of the system (either accidentally or on purpose), they call my cell immediately to verify it is or isn't me.

Furthermore, i also have a separate DVR/camera system with cameras placed at variious points outside the house (covering all the approaches) and one or two inside. They also have motion detection and can alert when needed. This, for about $300.00, but definitely worth it.
Who installed it all and for how much?

I’m paying $42/m now for ADT and have never activate it once in 3 years. I get a discount for my howeowners insurance that is still cheaper than paying the monthly fee.

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:21 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:03 pm
Honestly you have two choices a $599 system from Sam's Club or Costco..... find a skinny Punk to climb up in your attic and pull the wires or call 870Mike and drop $3 k at a min for a system
Yeah it’s the former, I’m not spending anywhere close on that for cameras, just need the skinny guy to go up there and install everything...

dammitgriff

Home Security System

Post by dammitgriff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:41 am

My co-worker has the Arlo system, wireless cameras are WiFi networked via a small base station and have IR motion sensing capabilities and two-way audio. If anything trips them a video clip is sent to his smartphone for review. Downsides to this system are relatively expensive batteries for the cameras and maybe five cameras per base station, but I think there are other options, including wired cameras. Check them out at Arlo.com.
R/Griff
Last edited by dammitgriff on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:31 am

I have the Arlo system I have 5 ARLO Q wireless camera at about 127.00 a pop and it needs a power outlet but the app is free and it arms when I leave the house it works for my needs. :ber
"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:32 am

FSUnoles wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:20 am
FfNJGTFO wrote:
FSUnoles wrote:

I’m paying $42/m now for ADT and have never activate it once in 3 years. I get a discount for my howeowners insurance that is still cheaper than paying the monthly fee.
I know Simplisafe is a do it yourself install looks pretty easy.
"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:30 am

FSUnoles wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:20 am
FfNJGTFO wrote:
FSUnoles wrote:

Definitely a DIY install. Very easy if you have any decent handy-person skills. All of the modules are, pretty much, "stick on" things with double sided tape. For the DVR install as well. But I chose the "Wired" method for the cameras so I also used cable covers up on the ceilings, walls, etc. .

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:31 am

I have SimpliSafe both at the shop and at my son's home .....almost 3 years now...no issues they just came out with some wireless cameras I don't have them and have not tried them.... the lady down the street from me at The Vape Shop has them and says that they're awesome I turned her on to SimpliSafe a while ago
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

macattack321
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by macattack321 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 am

lakelandman wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:31 am
I have the Arlo system I have 5 ARLO Q wireless camera...
How quickly do they activate/record when they see motion? I've heard from a 2 to 15...

dammitgriff

Home Security System

Post by dammitgriff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:39 am

macattack321 wrote:
lakelandman wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:31 am
I have the Arlo system I have 5 ARLO Q wireless camera...
How quickly do they activate/record when they see motion? I've heard from a 2 to 15...
There is a delay, but judicial placement helps.
R/Griff

bmup
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bmup » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:36 pm

For what it's worth:

SimpliSafe cuts ties with the NRA

https://thinkprogress.org/simplisafe-cu ... c33be3544/
Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.
-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

weaselfire

Post by weaselfire » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:50 pm

No substitute for professionally installed and monitored systems. Home insurance often has no discount for self-installed. Also need wired and cellular backup. Self-contradictory on wireless, Ring, etc., are useless since it means you have to monitor your cell phone 24x7.

But, you need to do what you're comfortable with. Both financially and security comfort.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dammitgriff

Home Security System

Post by dammitgriff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Those high-priced professionals are exactly what’s driving the market for consumer- and budget-friendly systems.
R/Griff

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 pm

It's not exactly the high price professionals but the better systems that said professionals have access to purchasing have a greater discount than you the general end consumer....

Anyone could get a high-school kid to crawl through the attic and pull wires most of these systems are plug-and-play until you get into the cat 5 & 7 stuff.

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 pm
It's not exactly the high price professionals but the better systems that said professionals have access to purchasing have a greater discount than you the general end consumer....

Anyone could get a high-school kid to crawl through the attic and pull wires most of these systems are plug-and-play until you get into the cat 5 & 7 stuff.
Yeah I don’t even know where to start, I ain’t crawling in the attic. I also ain’t buying batteries monthly. Prefer to have a person do it, I’ll try thumbtack...

Anyone have suggestions for systems, also gonna ask ADT what they want.