Home Security System

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Home Security System

Post by jjk308 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:14 am

Fortress Security Systems. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... RW7G1COOX7

About $200 DIY. Autodialer to call you if there's a break-in so zero monthly charges. Ours is good enough to make the wife stop worrying about the DILs scummy relatives.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:13 am

I'm going on 2 years with SimpliSafe original batteries however I did just order some more to replace them they're mostly cr123
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:25 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:13 am
I'm going on 2 years with SimpliSafe original batteries however I did just order some more to replace them they're mostly cr123
I agree. You might replace batteries more frequently in the wall mounted control unit and/or the Key fob, but most last a very long time. And the system will alert you when a module needs battery replacement. It will simply go "out of service." That's the first thing you check when it does.

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 pm

macattack321 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 am
lakelandman wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:31 am
I have the Arlo system I have 5 ARLO Q wireless camera...
How quickly do they activate/record when they see motion? I've heard from a 2 to 15...
Just depends location of the camera the mobile GPS on the phone can be off sometimes besides that work good for my needs.
"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"

shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:44 pm

I worked for ADT for 30 years doing commercial installs,I now work for the City Of Lakeland as a Security Tech..Good Mega Pixel camera's are fairly cheap now..you can order them online and install them yourself..yes,you will have to run some type of wire and set port forwarding on your router to be able to view them on your smartphone..No thanks i don't want to do it for you..
Burglar Alarm systems are where the catch is, you can buy a hardwired system,or wireless,and install it yourself,but if you want it monitored,you are going to have to pay for that monthly..Your best bet,find a local company that will pick up your monitoring,that should be cheaper then a National Company.

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 am

Called to cancel my ADT, come to find out I have a contract until 01/19 #-o

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:49 am

Already have the nest thermostat, was thinking maybe they’re cameras but $300 for 2 seems pretty steep.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:17 am

Why not just buy a security system yard sign and some window stickers for $15? [smilie=011.gif]
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:35 am

6 months and 2 break in's later we will still be looking for advice on the cheap s';t [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Taco » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:53 am

I have an Arlo system. The batteries on the true wireless cams are a real killer. Switched in a few of the powered/wireless cameras for the areas near plugs and really love them.
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:36 am

Taco wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:53 am
I have an Arlo system. The batteries on the true wireless cams are a real killer. Switched in a few of the powered/wireless cameras for the areas near plugs and really love them.
Yeah I looked at those but the battery life seems to be really bad.

handlebar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by handlebar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:50 am

I have a security system on my doors and windows and 3 Arlo Pro cameras around the house. I have to charge them about every 3 weeks, but I am retired so no problem-gives me something to do.
Handlebar

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:44 pm

I have a Swann 8 camera setup at my house. It has a 1T hard drive, but can be upgraded to a larger if you choose. The clarity is actually quite good, even when it goes to night vision. Some of my cameras are set to record whenever motion is detected (they actually "prerecord" everything, then save the previous 5 minutes when motion is detected.) My main traffic areas record 24/7 and I can fit about 9 days on my HD. Backing up to a cloud costs extra, but the app for remote viewing is free. I paid just under $400 for the system, Some things to consider:

Wireless cameras are easier to setup, but can be hacked and/or disabled fairly easy with a jammer. Even Harbor Freight used to sell a Wifi jammer that knocks out most systems.
Wireless systems go down completely when your router goes down.
Wireless = battery changes, but they sell solar panels for recharging.

Hardwired systems can't be hacked and don't require a router to record, although you'll need one for remote viewing/access.
Wired systems are a PITA to run wires in some instances (I'm still finalizing some stuff outside.)

All systems go down when the power does so a UPS is a good idea. I have one that will run my home WiFi, security camera console, and periphials for about 30 hours before it dies. I also have small backups for the router and cameras daisy-chained, that will kepp them going for another 13-15 hours. I haven't figured out how to have my cameras continuous record for a set amount of time whenever the security system is triggered, but I know it can be done.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.