Little Caesars worker calls 911 after admittedly shooting attacker in mask

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Little Caesars worker calls 911 after admittedly shooting attacker in mask

Post by Taco » Tue May 29, 2018 3:57 pm

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/listen- ... /757645128
Listen: Little Caesars worker calls 911 after admittedly shooting attacker in mask
By: Chip Skambis , Deanna Allbrittin , Jeff Levkulich , Kelly Healey

HOLLY HILL, Fla. - A Little Caesars pizza employee who admittedly shot an attacker wearing a demon mask is heard on a 911 call that was released Tuesday, saying, “Please help me. I think he’s dying.“

“He tried to stab me with a pair of scissors. He hit me in the face with a big piece of wood,” the employee said during the call. “I’m bleeding all over the place.”

Heriberto Feliciano, 28, was leaving the Ridgewood Avenue restaurant Saturday, shortly before midnight after closing, when he was attacked by a man wearing a mask, police said.

The masked man, Jesse Coggins, 53, of Greenville, North Carolina, hit Feliciano on the face and shoulder with a wooden post until it broke, and he tried to stab him with scissors, police said.

Deputies said Coggins does not have a local arrest history and it's unclear how long he's been in the Volusia County area.

Feliciano told police he drew his gun and shot the man four to five times at close range, according to the police report.

Feliciano has a concealed weapons permit, police said.

Coggins was taken to Halifax Health Medical Center, where he later died.

Police released a photo of the mask the suspect was wearing.

Holly Hill police Chief Steve Aldrich said there's no indication that anyone apart from the masked man was involved in the attack.

"As soon as he exited the building, he was immediately attacked by an individual that was wearing a scary clown mask and brandishing a wooden stick," Aldrich said. "I'm glad that he was able to defend himself and that he's OK. It's just unfortunate that this whole episode occurred."
Props to the news for picking up a good shoot story (minus the new headline, which uses the word 'admittedly' that seems to suggest he's guilty of something). Props to the Chief for coming out pro self defense. Props to Feliciano for saving his own life.

Linked story has the 911 call. You should listen to the call. There was a lot of good and a bit of bad there. I think we can learn a lot from this type of audio. It's a hard listen.

I'm going to go over some things I heard from the call, a bit of Monday morning quarterback.
The good:
He did a great job asking for medical attention for the criminal.
He did a great job letting the operator know he was attacked and the victim.
He did well having the firearm not in his hands pointed towards traffic. Hopefully he made sure he was safe when it put it down.
He did well giving directions and location.
He did well refusing to do CPR because he was unable to determine if it was safe to approach the criminal.
He did well seeking treatment for his injuries.

The bad:
He did poorly in giving too much detail on the call and continuing the conversation.
He did poorly in giving too much detail to the responding police.
He did poorly in stating he was going to go to prison.

Other opinions on the call?
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

revelation
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Little Caesars worker calls 911 after admittedly shooting attacker in mask

Post by revelation » Wed May 30, 2018 8:51 am

I have never been in a life or death situation where I have shot someone. I can't imagine the rush of adrenaline going through his body and the remorse he might have been feeling for shooting a person. I listened to the recording several times. I think with the surveillance tape he had no other choice to use lethal force. As for the recording, I don't find to much info given. Poor guy was in a state of shock.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.

Bobberfishin

Post by Bobberfishin » Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 am

I'm not sure what Little Caesar's policy is on carrying a weapon, or some type of protection.
Having said that...……….shouldn't an employee have a reasonable expectation of the company (any company) they work for providing some type of protection/security for their employees if they don't allow them to carry their own protection.
It's a take-out pizza store & they'll have cash on hand.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 am

Bobberfishin wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 am
I'm not sure what Little Caesar's policy is on carrying a weapon, or some type of protection.
Having said that...……….shouldn't an employee have a reasonable expectation of the company (any company) they work for providing some type of protection/security for their employees if they don't allow them to carry their own protection.
It's a take-out pizza store & they'll have cash on hand.
Not necessarily. You have to ask yourself, which costs more OOP, longer term? Implementing/maintaining all those security measures at all locations (big, tangible $$$$) or a potential settlement with an injured employee (or surviving family of a deceased employee) which might also be mitigated by "mandatory arbitration" agreed to by the employee, or by Workman's Comp. insurance??? What is the realistic probability of such an incident happening in the store (unknown but, potentially, fewer $$$$)?

[smilie=popcorn.gif]

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Wed May 30, 2018 11:48 am

I've been having a craving for shitty pizza ever since I saw the headline.

n0rlf

Post by n0rlf » Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am

Bottom line, good guy alive going home to family. Bad guy, no longer a problem to society!

Victim did quite well! Thanks for a job well done!
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!