ATF Sting

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Flame Red
Life Member
Life Member

ATF Sting

Post by Flame Red » Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 am

WTF? Brainless?

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/atf-man ... /757907199

Man accused of selling guns illegally in Central Florida.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. - A Central Florida man is facing federal charges after allegedly selling thousands of dollars worth of guns and accessories illegally, according to an arrest report.

Chad Talbot was arrested after he allegedly sold more than $9,000 worth of guns and accessories to undercover agents working for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Publix parking lots in Osceola and Polk counties, the report states

The ATF agent alleges that Talbot acquired firearms called “lower receivers” and used the parts from them to manufacture pistols and rifles, the arrest report states.

Talbot was selling the weapons in the area around Kissimmee and Orlando, agents allege.

During one transaction with undercover agents, Talbot sold a Glock auto switch machine gun, an AM-15 multicaliber short-barrel rifle and a silencer in exchange for $1,320, the report states.

Court records show authorities arrested him in the parking lot of the Publix at 8301 Champions Gate Boulevard on Thursday.
Dirty Harry doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody!

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Re: ATF Sting

Post by tector » Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 am

They are out there. Reading FSN, among other things.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Mon May 28, 2018 8:52 am

Flame Red wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 am

During one transaction with undercover agents, Talbot sold a Glock auto switch machine gun, an AM-15 multicaliber short-barrel rifle and a silencer in exchange for $1,320, the report states.

This was his major fock up. Anyone remember Ed from Gunsmoke? GARY.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Mon May 28, 2018 11:03 am

He’s about to go to pound town [-X

Selling Illegal machine guns, SBR’s, and silencers will get you a one way ticket there

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Mon May 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Hope he likes bologna sandwiches. GARY

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Mon May 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Some folks just ask for it. $1300 isn't enough money to go to jail over to begin with for that kinda thing. But I bet they knew they had a dumb one. Maybe even coaxed him into it. You know, like how the FBI "finds" most terrorists here on US soil...trying to get them to make bombs. ATF probably got this guy to "manufacture" these tax stamp firearms.

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Mon May 28, 2018 3:29 pm

He sold 3 illegal NFA controlled devices...not exactly a reason to sound the alarm. This guy was asking for it.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Mon May 28, 2018 4:51 pm

tector wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 am
I hope they bust every idiot that knowingly breaks a gun law. Especially those laws that everyone knows will land them in jail big time. The sbr one would be the only change that sounds odd, I can see how someone might get pulled into that one.

A person could buy a receiver that was assembled into a rifle at one time, then disassembled and maybe refinished and sold to someone as a virgin receiver. If that person were to purchase and build a pistol w it, then they will have illegally manufactured a Sbr based on the once a rifle, always a rifle rule/policy.

But I don’t know how you could illegally make a Silencer unless you fooled w a “solvent trap”. I don’t believe silencers should be included on the nfa list but I wouldn’t ever screw w a solvent trap or any of that other nonesence.

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Mon May 28, 2018 4:56 pm

neverenoughguns wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:51 pm
tector wrote:
I hope they bust every idiot that knowingly breaks a gun law. Especially those laws that everyone knows will land them in jail big time. The sbr one would be the only change that sounds odd, I can see how someone might get pulled into that one.

A person could buy a receiver that was assembled into a rifle at one time, then disassembled and maybe refinished and sold to someone as a virgin receiver. If that person were to purchase and build a pistol w it, then they will have illegally manufactured a Sbr based on the once a rifle, always a rifle rule/policy.

But I don’t know how you could illegally make a Silencer unless you fooled w a “solvent trap”. I don’t believe silencers should be included on the nfa list but I wouldn’t ever screw w a solvent trap or any of that other nonesence.
I guess the Glock could be a pistol w a home smith trigger job that fired multiple rounds? I would hesitate to buy a used gun w home spun gunsmithing.....

If he intentional built a non stamped Silencer, on stamped sbr and non stamped auto pistol, then he is a moron looking for trouble.

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Mon May 28, 2018 4:57 pm

ATF could have given him the silencer to assemble onto the gun.

Sorely lacking in details.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Mon May 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Guy was a dupe and probably deserved this but yeah, not enough details are being given.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

Cletis686

Post by Cletis686 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:00 pm

N4KVE wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:52 am
Flame Red wrote:

ED from Gunsmoke. I bought lowers from him. Maybe 10-15 years ago.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Mon May 28, 2018 11:21 pm

I bought a Bushmaster AR from him. Later on, I bought a nice British FAL he took in on trade. I still have them both. GARY

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Tue May 29, 2018 7:18 am

tector wrote:
Yep, I posted here about my ex-wife's stepson and got a visit from the FBI a bit later. How did they find my address? [smilie=011.gif]
/:f
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Tue May 29, 2018 11:23 am

Cletis686 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:00 pm
N4KVE wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:52 am
Flame Red wrote:

ED from Gunsmoke. I bought lowers from him. Maybe 10-15 years ago.

Me and Ed watched some dip get arrested at the fort Pierce show carrying around an unregistered sbr. We tried warning him. But "apparently we didn't know what we were talking about.". He walked out in cuffs ten minutes later.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Tue May 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Some people are just stupid. I was once shooting at the WPB SS. The guy in the lane next to me, who lived in NJ, had an UZI SBR. I casually asked how long it took to get his stamp. He replied a city judge where he lived who was a family friend signed off on it. I explained to him maybe the judge signed off allowing him to own an UZI in his town in NJ, but the barrel had to be 16”, or get the stamp. He had no authority to allow a SBR. He looked at me like I was talking Greek. I said I did not care what he did, but he needed to remove the short barrel if he wanted to avoid 10 years of bologna sandwiches. How freaking stupid. GARY

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:47 pm

about 15 years ago at a Ft Laud show a guy walked in with a Port Said and wanted to trade it towards another gun, one of the dealers motioned the cop over [-( ](*,)...supposeldy he was in the Gulf and brought it back home from the service #-o
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Tue May 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Yep it takes all types of the unknowing, just responded to someone on another forum who stated he took a Colt rifle and made a pistol out of it. #-o

Told him I would delete my post when he deleted his as I enlightened him in between.

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Tue May 29, 2018 7:26 pm

I ask myself if he had a warning. For the old-timers (ok, semi old), remember "Billy"?
NRA Endowment Member
PhD from University of Hard Knocks

p7fl

Post by p7fl » Wed May 30, 2018 5:20 am

HK switched digits on a repair and UPSd me a Sacramento PD HK MP5 SD.
My 15 year old son accepted the delivery at the office and opened the box.

That was temptation.