Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
momoshooter
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:39 am

Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by momoshooter » Mon May 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Back in Feb. I had an issue with my boss at work, where he hit me a few times in the shoulder, played it off like he was “horse playing” the punches were very hard, enough to leave bruising. Enough where now even months later I have went to see an ortho specialist and just recently went to get an MRI since I still have acute pains in shoulder, etc.
my boss ended up “eliminating” my position essentially firing me without actually documenting it as such.
I told my co-workers when it happened and was told to keep my mouth shut if I wanted to keep my job. So, I kept it shut.

When I was told after a major project was completed that my position was being eliminated, I wrote HR upon my exit interview letting them know exactly what transpired.

They essentially told me to go F***kmyself and have a nice life.

Now ultimately what he did was unprovoked assault and battery and to date has gotten away with it.

I need some help from any legal council who reads this on how best to go after the company or him directly.

To simply say there is nothing I can do isnt going to fly with me.




User avatar
zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by zeebaron » Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 pm

It seems like an actionable criminal & civil case to me against the guy. I don't think you'll have any luck going after the company, since you appear not to have informed HR at the time of the incident.

User avatar
FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:55 pm
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Contact:

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by FfNJGTFO » Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 pm

momoshooter wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:04 pm
Back in Feb. I had an issue with my boss at work, where he hit me a few times in the shoulder, played it off like he was “horse playing” the punches were very hard, enough to leave bruising. Enough where now even months later I have went to see an ortho specialist and just recently went to get an MRI since I still have acute pains in shoulder, etc.
my boss ended up “eliminating” my position essentially firing me without actually documenting it as such.
I told my co-workers when it happened and was told to keep my mouth shut if I wanted to keep my job. So, I kept it shut.

When I was told after a major project was completed that my position was being eliminated, I wrote HR upon my exit interview letting them know exactly what transpired.

They essentially told me to go F***kmyself and have a nice life.

Now ultimately what he did was unprovoked assault and battery and to date has gotten away with it.

I need some help from any legal council who reads this on how best to go after the company or him directly.

To simply say there is nothing I can do isnt going to fly with me.
What proof or evidence do you have that he did this, or did anything? I think that's going to be you biggest obstacle. Were there any reliable eye witnesses to these encounters that will testify on your behalf? I'd imagine they, too, would be told to "keep their mouths shut if they want to keep their jobs..."

I think you should have handled it immediately, when it happened. Workplace violence is never acceptable. In many of the companies at which I worked, if it were discovered that someone assaulted another person, that's immediate termination "for cause." I was the victim of being shoved by an employee once at a former work site. While I simply shrugged it off, the problem was that it was caught on the security cameras and witnessed by other employees. They were going to throw the book at this other person. Since I really wasn't injured (wasn't knocked down or anything), I did not want to see this other person lose their job/income over it. So I declined to pursue. Had I been knocked down or been otherwise injured, I would have pursued it to the fullest extent. In your case, you state there was bruising. I think you should have pursued it at the time, be he your boss or not. That type of workplace violence is unacceptable. Yes, I know, it might cost you your job, but do you really want to work at a place that tolerates that kind of behavior?

You can try a lawyer, but I think they'e going to tell you that without evidence of your boss directly assaulting you (eye witnesses, surveillance footage, etc. etc.), you won't have much success doing something about it at this point.

User avatar
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 23280
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:01 pm

you got bullied, man up, go get a Louisville slugger and wait for him outside of work on a Friday
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

User avatar
jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by jwillgym » Mon May 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Sounds like now that you have lost your job the shoulder is an issue. Ortho and MRI's, sounds like you already have a lawyer. Man up, find a new job and quit being the part of america I despise.
IYAOYAS

User avatar
Skoll
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Palm Beach

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by Skoll » Mon May 21, 2018 1:27 pm

My lawyers a workers comp lawyer, if you can pull getting that (which I doubt), I'll drop you his name and number.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

User avatar
armedpolak
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:47 am
Location: Coral Springs, Broward

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by armedpolak » Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Dude what happened to your male privilege?! [smilie=pdt_xtremez_12.gif]

J/K

You guys telling him to man up are part of the problem...

User avatar
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 23280
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm

armedpolak wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 pm

You guys telling him to man up are part of the problem...
if people would just settle their own damn problems we wouldn't have problems like this, if that were me, I would have made that boss's life hell, put a thumb tack on his chair, followed him into the sh!tter and dumped water ( or worse ) on him, use his computer to D/L porn them report him to HR....then get violent of HR protected him, and then go after the HR people...what makes America great is getting even when the system fails, just don't get caught
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

philasteen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:39 am
Location: Plantation

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by philasteen » Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 pm

The story doesn’t sound credible in an internet post. It won’t play better in court. But go for it!

User avatar
bmup
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:49 pm
Location: Boca Raton

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by bmup » Mon May 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm
armedpolak wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 pm

You guys telling him to man up are part of the problem...
if people would just settle their own damn problems we wouldn't have problems like this, if that were me, I would have made that boss's life hell, put a thumb tack on his chair, followed him into the sh!tter and dumped water ( or worse ) on him, use his computer to D/L porn them report him to HR....then get violent of HR protected him, and then go after the HR people...what makes America great is getting even when the system fails, just don't get caught
Some folks just ain't built that way Rent. Or just otherwise not slick or big enough to get away with it. Some have too much to loose by fighting back until it's just too late to do so. Either way, without any sort of proof, the OP may just be SOL & telling him to 'man up' doesn't f#;.,/g help HIM at all and just makes you look like an a;;h;;e.

If you can't help, just chill. Armchair QBack opinions are worthless.
Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.
-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

UnderdogII
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:10 am
Location: Stuart, Florida

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by UnderdogII » Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 pm

bmup wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:02 pm
Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm
armedpolak wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 pm

You guys telling him to man up are part of the problem...
if people would just settle their own damn problems we wouldn't have problems like this, if that were me, I would have made that boss's life hell, put a thumb tack on his chair, followed him into the sh!tter and dumped water ( or worse ) on him, use his computer to D/L porn them report him to HR....then get violent of HR protected him, and then go after the HR people...what makes America great is getting even when the system fails, just don't get caught
Some folks just ain't built that way Rent. Or just otherwise not slick or big enough to get away with it. Some have too much to loose by fighting back until it's just too late to do so. Either way, without any sort of proof, the OP may just be SOL & telling him to 'man up' doesn't f#;.,/g help HIM at all and just makes you look like an a;;h;;e.

If you can't help, just chill. Armchair QBack opinions are worthless.
Well I'll just chill then.

Gmountain
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:35 pm
Location: Martin County

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by Gmountain » Mon May 21, 2018 7:24 pm

So it wasn't a problem until you lost your job?

What do you want out of it? Are you looking for money?

User avatar
jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by jwillgym » Mon May 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Wow, I thought this was a gun forum, not a whine and pout forum...
IYAOYAS

User avatar
lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 5402
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: lakeland

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by lakelandman » Mon May 21, 2018 8:42 pm

I say all that sucks but the problem is Florida is a hire and fire state they can fire you for no reason which sucks unless HR has documentation of the incident it will be his word against yours.
"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"

User avatar
Skoll
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Palm Beach

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by Skoll » Mon May 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Belittling the guy does nothing, he was only asking for help. Granted, it may be nefarious and possibly frivolous, but none of us can know for sure. One thing I do know is that most companies in right to work states relish the chance to f/;k an employee.

I have a legitimate injury that put me out of work and if some random told me to just "man up" over it, I'd be pissed and give them a thing or two on my mind. You can't blame someone for looking after their own interests, especially if they're recently unemployed.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 4840
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:36 pm
Location: Tampa Bay Area

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by P5 guy » Tue May 22, 2018 7:15 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm

if people would just settle their own damn problems we wouldn't have problems like this, if that were me, I would have made that boss's life hell, put a thumb tack on his chair, followed him into the sh!tter and dumped water ( or worse ) on him, use his computer to D/L porn them report him to HR....then get violent of HR protected him, and then go after the HR people...what makes America great is getting even when the system fails, just don't get caught
The kid in Texas did that when the cheerleader he wanted rejected him, The kid in Parkland did that when the lesbian bullied him. Look how that turned out not just for the ones directly involved but for the rest of the kids in Florida.
[smilie=pdt_xtremez_24.gif]
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:40 am
Location: Manatee County

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by boomboom » Tue May 22, 2018 8:32 am

My opinion? Unless you have actual witnesses to the assault and battery, your talks with coworkers is hearsay and not admissible in court. Your approach to HR could be construed as retaliation for being let go. Lawyers work on a 1/3 take for them on all awards, and they get nothing if they don't win so I don't see anyone jumping up to put time and expenses into an "iffy" case.
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 6367
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Sarasota

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by g.willikers » Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 am

The time to deal with it was when it happened.
If the other guy found himself with an equally bruised arm, he would have suddenly gotten a new perspective on the situation.
But the time has passed for that.
And you would need the mentality for doing that.
Personally, I never liked getting lawyers involved in my problems.
They seem to mostly interested in billing their clients.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

momoshooter
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 11:39 am

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by momoshooter » Tue May 22, 2018 8:54 am

@All,

Thanks for the input, even the useless “man up” comments. Definitely makes me want to take matters into my own hands. So thanks for that.

While it might easily be stated in an internet post to stop whining etc., when you have a wife and other family members counting on your income, you turn the other cheek. Or you’re a selfish and childish bastard who never grew up.

If this were outside of the protection of the corp. office I would have dropped that mutherf**ker in an instant. Probably would have cost my job either way, but being inside my office when it happened my gut was to take it and keep the job until I could figure things out.

I realize its my word against his. However, I did tell people on my team immediately and even wrote into company email documenting it for myself and in the event HR were to get involved at a later time.

Its f**ked that an assh*le like this can simply do this and get away with it and there isnt much I can do other than one guy said here which is wait to enact physical violence back unto him.

F*****k i am so pissed at this guy.


g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 6367
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Sarasota

Re: Need a good lawyer in SoFlo

Post by g.willikers » Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 am

Revenge can backfire.
You won't be much help to your family if you're in jail or spend a lot of income on lawyers.
Trying to get even long after the fact seldom turns out well.
Life has its ups and downs.
And relish in the fact that sooner or later, that guy is going to get what he deserves.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Post Reply