RFI: Vehicle Repair Shop - Winter Haven/Lakeland Area

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

RFI: Vehicle Repair Shop - Winter Haven/Lakeland Area

Post by jwperry » Mon May 21, 2018 9:44 am

I'm pretty sure my wife blew the turbo on her 2011 Kia Sportage...again. This time though, no warranty to pay for the repairs. She's getting it looked at today at the dealership, but I'm not sure I want to pay their repair prices or wait to get on their schedule (last time it took them 10 days after receipt of the new part!).

I'm willing to traverse around the I4 corridor but prefer to stay in/around the Winter Haven / Auburndale / Lakeland areas. Any of you guys have a good repair shop for work like this?

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Re: RFI: Vehicle Repair Shop - Winter Haven/Lakeland Area

Post by Odessaman » Mon May 21, 2018 11:41 am

We recently had a radiator replaced in our daughter's Honda Odyssey by Charlie's Import Service Center in Lakeland. He was literally three blocks from where her car died, and he had the problem diagnosed, the job done and the car ready for pickup within 24 hours, all at a reasonable price. I handled everything for her over the phone. The car has run fine ever since. I believe he's been in business for over 30 years, which says a lot in that business.

Charlie's Import Service Center
318 N. Kentucky Avenue
Lakeland, Florida 33801

(863) 682-2328
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Mon May 21, 2018 11:53 am

Odessaman wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:41 am
We recently had a radiator replaced in our daughter's Honda Odyssey by Charlie's Import Service Center in Lakeland. He was literally three blocks from where her car died, and he had the problem diagnosed, the job done and the car ready for pickup within 24 hours, all at a reasonable price. I handled everything for her over the phone. The car has run fine ever since. I believe he's been in business for over 30 years, which says a lot in that business.

318 N. Kentucky Avenue
Lakeland, Florida 33801

(863) 682-2328
Thank you for the info!

She just called. Apparently there was a recall against the seals/tubing/piping on the turbo, so Kia is repairing it for Free!! Color me surprised, the car has 160k miles on it so I figured we'd be paying out the nose for this.

I'm going to look up Charlie's Import Service Center though, we had some seriously negative experiences at Regal Kia in Lakeland and I like having a place on tap that can do good repair work and not "oversell" things that aren't needed. Plus a quick turn around time is great too...

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Mon May 21, 2018 1:54 pm

jwperry wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:53 am
Odessaman wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:41 am

318 N. Kentucky Avenue
Lakeland, Florida 33801

(863) 682-2328
Thank you for the info!

She just called. Apparently there was a recall against the seals/tubing/piping on the turbo, so Kia is repairing it for Free!! Color me surprised, the car has 160k miles on it so I figured we'd be paying out the nose for this.

I'm going to look up Charlie's Import Service Center though, we had some seriously negative experiences at Regal Kia in Lakeland and I like having a place on tap that can do good repair work and not "oversell" things that aren't needed. Plus a quick turn around time is great too...
So it’s a design flaw then. Your wife didn’t blow it, Kia designed in a way that it fails prematurely. Hopefully the new part has been redesigned to correct this problem or it will likely happen again.
Libertas aut mortis!

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Mon May 21, 2018 2:28 pm

She's going to start car shopping with a target of end of summer for a new vehicle. Last time it blew it almost cause the engine to fail because it drained half the oil

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Glad you were able to resolve this issue without lining someone elses pocket. This thread actually made me check to see if there were any recalls on my vehicle. Thankfully there aren't.

Good luck finding a new car.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 am

Recalls don't always mean a car is poorly made.
My 2014 Ford has had six recalls, but nothing was ever found wrong on mine.
Recalls are often dictated by government regulation even if very few cars actually require it.
One way to avoid turbo problems is to just remove it.
Not a hard thing to do.
Back when Mustangs were just fancied up Pintos, the four cylinder engines had a turbo option.
Since it mostly just made noise without much benefit, it became a cottage industry to take them off.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Tue May 22, 2018 11:31 am

g.willikers wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 am
Recalls don't always mean a car is poorly made.
My 2014 Ford has had six recalls, but nothing was ever found wrong on mine.
Recalls are often dictated by government regulation even if very few cars actually require it.
One way to avoid turbo problems is to just remove it.
Not a hard thing to do.
Back when Mustangs were just fancied up Pintos, the four cylinder engines had a turbo option.
Since it mostly just made noise without much benefit, it became a cottage industry to take them off.
It's not every car in a model year, it usually just effects a range of VINs and you look it up via the VIN on your vehicle. I'd rather be safe than sorry and definitely don't trust auto manufacturers at their word anymore.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Tue May 22, 2018 11:53 am

While turbo’s increase horse power, they live in the exhaust flow, & die from the heat. I woud never buy a car with a turbo. GARY.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 pm

N4KVE wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:53 am
While turbo’s increase horse power, they live in the exhaust flow, & die from the heat. I woud never buy a car with a turbo. GARY.
They are fine as long as they are designed properly and maintained properly. Maintenance is critical to turbo vehicles, the oil passes though the turbo to lubricate and cook the turbo and the good ones also have coolant lines through them ad well. As a result the oil needs to be changed more frequently, checked often, and higher quality oil(usually a full synthetic) must be used to withstand the higher temperatures seen inside the turbo. The problems arise when either there is a design flaw or they are put in a vehicle that is marketed to people who are less likely to maintain it properly(women, teenagers/young adults, or really anyone that either isn’t a car person *and* doesn’t follow manufacturer’s maintenance recommendations)

Also there is a difference between a recall, a warranty extension, and a service bulletin. The service bulletin is the document. Recalls and warranty extensions are both usually accompanied by a service bulletin that describes the nature of the problem and the procedure to fix it however there are also service bulletins on issues and problems that are neither recalls nor warranty extensions. Recalls involve a safety issue and some inspection and/or repair procedure must be performed on every vehicle with a vin affected by the recalls. Warranty extensions involve a manufacturing or design flaw that causes frequent or premature failures and is only performed if the problem actually presents itself. This turbo issue is most likely the later.
Libertas aut mortis!

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Wed May 23, 2018 7:13 am

N4KVE wrote:
Aren't all diesels turbo-charged?
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Wed May 23, 2018 7:48 am

P5 guy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:13 am
N4KVE wrote:
Aren't all diesels turbo-charged?
Not all but more are than aren’t.
Libertas aut mortis!

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Wed May 23, 2018 4:48 pm

N4KVE wrote:
Three vehicles I've owned with turbo's (A 300ZX, A Dodge Caravan and a Lebaron convertible) all had their original turbo's until they died. As long as the engine is healthy, the turbo's usually fine. If you neglect it, abuse it, etc yeah though, the turbo would likely be one of the first things to go.