Court Upholds 'Stand Your Ground' Shift

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
camacho

Court Upholds 'Stand Your Ground' Shift

Post by camacho » Mon May 14, 2018 4:57 pm

UnderdogII

Re: Court Upholds 'Stand Your Ground' Shift

Post by UnderdogII » Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Corey Jones (February 3, 1984 – October 18, 2015) was an African-American man who was shot by a plainclothes police officer while waiting by his disabled car in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. On June 1, 2016, the officer who shot Jones, Nouman K. Raja, was charged with manslaughter and attempted murder.

This case has a significant outcome possibly on SYG law.
We'll see. Raja is invoking his SYG rights.

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:09 am

UnderdogII wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 pm
Corey Jones (February 3, 1984 – October 18, 2015) was an African-American man who was shot by a plainclothes police officer while waiting by his disabled car in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. On June 1, 2016, the officer who shot Jones, Nouman K. Raja, was charged with manslaughter and attempted murder.

Yes, this case will be interesting to see the outcome. I dont see how he can use the SYG law but we do not know all of the details.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 am

Don't cops already have a form of SYG under FL law? I mean, LEOs have some of the most and unbalanced legal protections nationwide out of anyone.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Tue May 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Skoll wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 am
Don't cops already have a form of SYG under FL law? I mean, LEOs have some of the most and unbalanced legal protections nationwide out of anyone.
Held to the same standard as your average joe. Objective reasonableness based on the totality of the circumstances. All police involved shootings in broward usually go to a grand jury.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Wed May 16, 2018 10:45 am

FSUnoles wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:45 pm
Skoll wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 am
Held to the same standard as your average joe. Objective reasonableness based on the totality of the circumstances. All police involved shootings in broward usually go to a grand jury.
If cops were always held to the same standard, then Average Joe wouldn't instantly lose My word against yours re: cops. I'm not doubting what you said re: Broward but to the average citizen, cops definitely seem to enjoy more protections.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Wed May 16, 2018 9:52 pm

By statute in Florida they’re held to the same use of force standards as joe s';t the rag man.

How a judge/jury interprets that is open to interpretation.

IE. If a LEO unlawfully enters a house/vehicle and commits a crime there with in, its an armed burglary.

The media in the country is deplorable.

Gmountain
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gmountain » Sun May 20, 2018 9:23 am

cubanstang50 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:09 am
UnderdogII wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Yes, this case will be interesting to see the outcome. I dont see how he can use the SYG law but we do not know all of the details.
In this case, the cop was clearly wrong. He did everything wrong.