Selling Guns on Armslist!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
User avatar
Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2834
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Zephyrhills, FL

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by Cardboard_killer » Mon May 14, 2018 8:07 pm

I just tried to sell a gun on FGT, had it sold to one guy and he asks me when I can meet him, so I gave him the hours I was available over two days, then he texts, "what time?".

I just gave you when I'm available, why would you then ask what time? ANYTIME WITHIN THOSE SPREADS! Christ, it ain't rocket science. So, I say you tell me, and I never hear from him again. I pulled the gun in disgust. I'd rather throw it in the ocean than sell it to that guy.

So you are basically dealing with people that cannot make an appointment because that's too complicated. Or worse, they make appointments and don't show. (although I got a flat tire a couple months ago on the way to meet someone, so had to call and get him to drive farther to meet me on the side of the road waiting for my brother with the good jack).
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

User avatar
NorincoKid
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:57 pm
Location: Spring Hill, Hernando County

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by NorincoKid » Mon May 14, 2018 9:11 pm

zeebaron wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:20 pm
I would rather pay a fee to GB or take a loss on a gun selling it cheap here then try and sell it to "the public" on those free classified sites. They're worse than craigslist with people asking for trades, ridiculous requests like meeting them 200 miles away, and stupid questions.
Dunno, I've picked up alot of neat stuff I didn't know I was looking for from people asking for trades.

User avatar
tector
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 14667
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:49 am
Location: Broward

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by tector » Mon May 14, 2018 9:23 pm

I know old farts will go on and on about how FSN is not the online community it once was. Whatever. Compared to the bare market, we have a decent safety net here. We all know who are the legit people are around here, or can find out with a couple of PMs. I am not into dealing with scum, even successfully, because the time it goes really wrong, you have a mountain of regrets. Don't need it. Peace of mind is worth a few bucks.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

john in jax
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:22 pm
Location: Jacksonville / Duval

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by john in jax » Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 pm

I buy, sell and trade on both Armslist and FGT and haven't had anything terrible happen. I usually ask for CWL and sometimes require a BoS. But if i even get a hint of "sketchy" off someone I politely back out/off.

User avatar
tector
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 14667
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:49 am
Location: Broward

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by tector » Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 pm

john in jax wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 pm
I buy, sell and trade on both Armslist and FGT and haven't had anything terrible happen. I usually ask for CWL and sometimes require a BoS. But if i even get a hint of "sketchy" off someone I politely back out/off.
Nothing wrong with that. It really all comes down to how risk adverse you are.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

User avatar
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 23224
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:01 am

molivo wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:53 pm
GunBroker....comes with it's own headaches too. Non paying bidders, new buyers who have no clue how this new fangled internet gun buying thing works, etc.
I have in the body of my auctions that unless a NR bidder contacts me before bidding that I will block them from future bidding, GB has been in business for like 21 years now, and I find it really hard to believe there is a new breed of gun folks who don't have an account or know how it works [-( ...most of those people with NR or very low feedback numbers are the same non paying buyers who just keep creating new accounts because they keep getting banned for stupid crap and simply not paying.....

funny story.... I've been consigning some guns for a member here , we sold his 1919 last week, this one ass hat from NY kept insisting the gun was legal in NY and he was actually bidding, (belt fed guns are NOT legal there) I finally told him, should he win, I was gonna wait till he paid and deduct 20% for wasting my time and send him a refund...maybe [-X ....the next day all communication stopped and he didn't bid again.

I'm not interested in holding someones hand when how GB works is 9 paragraphs long on their about page....I usually tell them just go to their local gun shop and they will let them know what to do and how to bid...pass the buck as they say
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

User avatar
molivo
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10957
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:17 am
Location: St. Lucie
Contact:

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by molivo » Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 am

tector wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:39 pm
molivo wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:19 pm
I'd use the classifieds here or florida gun trader.
What is your experience on FGT? I have always avoided it.
I've done a handful of deals in there, mostly as a buyer. When selling soon as they hear the words background check they don't respond back... [smilie=011.gif]
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

User avatar
jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:44 am
Location: Auburndale

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by jwperry » Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 am

molivo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 am
tector wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:39 pm
molivo wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:19 pm
I'd use the classifieds here or florida gun trader.
What is your experience on FGT? I have always avoided it.
I've done a handful of deals in there, mostly as a buyer. When selling soon as they hear the words background check they don't respond back... [smilie=011.gif]
And I prefer the background check over a BoS, since I'm not concerned with the FFLs using my info to get a new mortgage. I've had stuff fail to go through when I've asked sellers to split the cost on the NCIS instead of filling out their silly forms.

I'm still not sure what a lot of people think a bill of sale protects them against? If you sell to a prohibited person, you're still hosed...and now you have written record. If I want a "paper trail" of where your stuff went, quit texting/phone calling right off the bat. Email is a great record. Make sure you put the time and place you want the transaction to happen in email, ask them identify the type of vehicle they drive in email (as a means to meet up) and then get a phone number. If that doesn't show a clear line of "this is the person I sold to" then you're hosed anyways!

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 am

molivo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 am
tector wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:39 pm
molivo wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:19 pm
I'd use the classifieds here or florida gun trader.
What is your experience on FGT? I have always avoided it.
I've done a handful of deals in there, mostly as a buyer. When selling soon as they hear the words background check they don't respond back... [smilie=011.gif]
Some of us who aren’t felons might also be just looking for a gun that doesn’t have the back-door registration of a 4473 on a particular purchase just in case “they” ever decide to use those records for confiscation. And very well might buy from FFLs on other transactions. Others don’t want a background check on any gun despite being able to pass one for the same reason.

I’m sure we’ve all read stories on here about BAFTE agents manually writing down everything name and serial number from every 4473 while in gun shops for their audit/inspection/whatever they call it.

Just because someone doesn’t want a paper trail doesn’t mean they are a felon. That said all felons won’t want paper trails unless they are stupid so a large number of those people might be, but not all of them.
Libertas aut mortis!

User avatar
molivo
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10957
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:17 am
Location: St. Lucie
Contact:

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by molivo » Tue May 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 am
molivo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 am
tector wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:39 pm
molivo wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:19 pm
I'd use the classifieds here or florida gun trader.
What is your experience on FGT? I have always avoided it.
I've done a handful of deals in there, mostly as a buyer. When selling soon as they hear the words background check they don't respond back... [smilie=011.gif]
Some of us who aren’t felons might also be just looking for a gun that doesn’t have the back-door registration of a 4473 on a particular purchase just in case “they” ever decide to use those records for confiscation. And very well might buy from FFLs on other transactions. Others don’t want a background check on any gun despite being able to pass one for the same reason.

I’m sure we’ve all read stories on here about BAFTE agents manually writing down everything name and serial number from every 4473 while in gun shops for their audit/inspection/whatever they call it.

Just because someone doesn’t want a paper trail doesn’t mean they are a felon. That said all felons won’t want paper trails unless they are stupid so a large number of those people might be, but not all of them.
I'm not saying all people who don't do backgrounds checks are felons. I'm saying when most FGT buyers here background check, they balk. I don't care why they do it.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

User avatar
Jeepsnguns
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4110
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: Bradenton

Re: Selling Guns on Armslist!

Post by Jeepsnguns » Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:01 pm
The FSN marketplace is full of overpriced items ... while you do have the benefit of dealing locally there haven't been a lot of deals in years.... and all you are a bunch of cheap SOB's... [smilie=back.gif] [smilie=back.gif]
Some of us still post our s';t at a good price! :ber
"If you put your nose really close to the screen and inhale deeply while reading these, you can almost taste the crazy." Waldo1

Post Reply