Car insurance Q's, anyone recently shopped around ?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Car insurance Q's, anyone recently shopped around ?

Post by zeebaron » Wed May 09, 2018 8:59 pm

TC6969 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Gmountain wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:31 pm
Don't fall for the idea that full coverage is $10,000 pip. That's the lowest, worst coverage.
Yeah, go total a $37,000 Mustang and see where $10,000 PIP takes you!
PIP is medical coverage. I assume you mean property damage liability. $100k limit is cheap...

TampaShooters
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TampaShooters » Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 am

n0rlf wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 pm
I dumped state harm couple years ago. Went with USAA. Took about 30 minutes online. Vehicles and house. Screw state harm. USAA was cheaper by far and much nicer to deal with. Process was painless.
USAA homeowners insurance in FL? I tried and they said they don't insure Florida homes and referred me to a poorly rated "partner" insurer.
Member: NRA Lifetime & GSSF
Glock Armorer
U.S. Navy Veteran (Gator Navy)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Thu May 10, 2018 9:47 am

It's difficult to find a decent home and auto insurer in one in FL. Indeed, it's hard to find a decent home insurer in FL at all if one is near the coast. We have Peoples Choice insurance, and I have read they have problems but, we've never had a claim. Of course, no insurance company is a problem until you have a claim. We'll probably need a lawyer if we have a claim but, that's expected.

USAA is good for auto, as others have mentioned. We have Auto Owners/Southern Owners as it was a bit cheaper. Our agent handles that, but does not USAA. My best suggestion is find a good agent, emphasis on good, who will find the best ones for you. Our agent always has good advice, quality companies and, what I find important, comes up with solutions to problems rather than saying it's a problem and leaving it at that.

If you're in Polk or nearby, try Josh Barfield in Winter Haven.
NRA Endowment Member
PhD from University of Hard Knocks

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:01 am

You know my sister was right across the Florida line in enterprise Ala. When she and her husband moved across an imaginary line into Florida she said her home owners and auto insurance doubled just because they moved to Florida. I know it's no help to your inquiry. But it sucks the government makes it a law we must have this insurance and these companies rape us like this.

Her insurance doubled because she moved to Florida. Plus they allow insurance companies to do their own studies that say. Education, credit score, sex, yada yada anything they can use to drive up your rates.

You know that a person with multiple DUI conviction can get a lower rate than someone with a bad credit score. You know why...because the insurance companies in their private study said if your credit score is bad you are a bad driver. Plus there are a hell of a lot more people with bad credit than people with DUI convictions.

My wife's son's credit score took a hit in a bad divorce and his auto insurance almost doubled. Never been in an accident never had a ticket, never had anything and he's 40. Yet because of credit cards messing his credit because of ex-wife they slam him. Just over credit rating. Yet a person with multiple DUI convictions can get a lower rate.

The entire state is screwed over by the insurance industry. My sister flipped when her insurance doubled by just moving across a state line.

Education I have a PhD I'm a doctor my education and work is none of their business and that's what I put.
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:23 am

Gmountain wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:31 pm
Make sure you get the highest liability and then get the highest uninsured motorist coverage you can get. The people that hit you often ghave no insurance.

Then, if you have more than one car, make sure you have stacking coverage.

Finally, make sure you get med-pay coverage.

Don't fall for the idea that full coverage is $10,000 pip. That's the lowest, worst coverage.
Yes, but:

Get an umbrella policy on top of the liability - kill someone with a good job and $100K is chump change.

PIP is a scam to get full price payments for chiropractors, MDs, hospitals, etc instead of the discounted prices that insurance companies pay. Yes, it'll eat op $10K at light speed. If you have really good health insurance and wont be stuck with copays, deductibles, then minimize your PIP costs. If you charge medical care to your health insurance then they will subrogate, go after the guilty party and their insurance and it will have no effect on your payout or expenses except maybe to delay a part of the settlement.
Unfortunately an effort in the Legislature to kill PIP for anyone with adequate health insurance failed.

BTW we've stuck with State Farm despite having sued, and collected from them, on a bad faith case. That's because they will not cancel or raise your car insurance rates exorbitantly. At our ages it's worth the extra $.
Last edited by jjk308 on Fri May 11, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 am

TampaShooters wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 am
n0rlf wrote:
I dumped state harm couple years ago. Went with USAA. Took about 30 minutes online. Vehicles and house. Screw state harm. USAA was cheaper by far and much nicer to deal with. Process was painless.
USAA homeowners insurance in FL? I tried and they said they don't insure Florida homes and referred me to a poorly rated "partner" insurer.
If you can't get decent insurance try Citizens. We have it and it cut our costs when Tower Hill didn't renew due to a couple of claims - one was due to a bad repair on the earlier claim, didn't reach the deductible, but they didn't care!
Financial ratings don't mean diddley squat on homeowners insurance since they can go bankrupt and you'll get paid out of a state mandated fund. And some of those highly rated companies can act like real azz-holes, dragging out settlements for years.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:21 am

jjk308 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 am
TampaShooters wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 am
n0rlf wrote:
[/quote

Yes, i used to day the same thing. But always kept calling and asking about it. One day 2 years ago they said that then were accepting policies and i jumped right on it. In a week i had everything done and happy i got them. I pay 1k more then the previous insurance but i look at it like this. If there car insurance services are great then i dont see why their homeowners ins isnt the same right. So if you would like to get them just call often and hopefully you will get lucky also.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Fri May 11, 2018 11:11 am

firemedic2000 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:01 am
My wife's son's credit score took a hit in a bad divorce and his auto insurance almost doubled. Never been in an accident never had a ticket, never had anything and he's 40. Yet because of credit cards messing his credit because of ex-wife they slam him. Just over credit rating. Yet a person with multiple DUI convictions can get a lower rate.
Insurance rates for cars owned by a corporation are substantially lower in my experience. Something for people to think about...

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:46 pm

Ummm I have a corp set up. How much lower
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Sat May 12, 2018 7:00 am

firemedic2000 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:46 pm
Ummm I have a corp set up. How much lower
About 20% off the lowest consumer rate. It's worth the hassle if you buy the car with the corporation on the outset and don't have to pay another title transfer/registration fee plus sales tax again. Probably not otherwise.

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 am

I recall seeing an ad from an attorney who created ''vehicle ownership trusts'' as an asset protection measure. I don't remember all the details but, it sounds like a similar idea.
NRA Endowment Member

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:11 am

All of my vehicles are paid for. I already transferred my boat over to the corp. Couldn't just transfer the vehicles and not pay taxes act. Just a transfer fee

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:48 am

REDinFL wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 am
I recall seeing an ad from an attorney who created ''vehicle ownership trusts'' as an asset protection measure. I don't remember all the details but, it sounds like a similar idea.
I have a Revocable Living Trust, all our assets and accounts are in it and the next new car I buy is going in it. But everyone treats it as just personal ownership and its primary purpose is to avoid probate and make estate settlements much easier and faster. It DOES NOT protect assets from creditors or judgements. Trusts that will give you protection are not legal in Florida and you'd have to transfer your assets offshore or to Alaska, Delaware, Utah, or Nevada which allow domestic asset protection trusts. The biggest drawback with such trusts is they require a "trust protector" who can veto anything you, the trustee (owner) wants to do.

https://www.alperlaw.com/asset-protecti ... ion-trust/
Domestic Asset Protection Trusts
A domestic asset protection trust is a self-settled trust that is protected from judgment creditors by state statute. A “self-settled trust” is a trust where the person who creates the trust and transfers the assets to the trust is also a trust beneficiary. A living trust (used for estate planning) is a common example of a self-settled trust. Under Florida law established by a long and consistent line of court decisions, a self-settled trust does not protect the trustmaker’s beneficial interest in the income or principal of the trust from the trustmaker’s creditors.

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Sun May 13, 2018 9:07 am

Yes, a revocable trust is estate planning only and offers no protection because the grantor still controls the assets. An irrevocable trust protects assets, with some caveats, because neither the owner nor beneficiary controls or owns anything. A trust can be broken but, the burden of proof that the trust is a sham rests with a plaintiff. One needs to consult the right attorney, and the trust must be carefully written. As a practical matter, such instruments still are for those with larger assets.
NRA Endowment Member