Was going to mail a rifle and Post Office said "NO!"

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
RevCharlie
Life Member
Life Member

Was going to mail a rifle and Post Office said "NO!"

Post by RevCharlie » Sat May 05, 2018 6:32 am

Postal Policy is now dealer to dealer only?

Well, I can't find that anywhere? :-k
/:f

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Was going to mail a rifle and Post Office said "NO!"

Post by zeebaron » Sat May 05, 2018 6:39 am

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Print this out and take it with you, or just go to a different post office. Clerks like to make up rules, from my experience. They seem to wise up when they see their own rules, though.
Last edited by zeebaron on Sat May 05, 2018 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Augdawg

Post by Augdawg » Sat May 05, 2018 6:40 am

Under USPS shipping restrictions:
Firearms Collapse FAQ question

Only licensed manufacturers and dealers may mail or receive handguns. Even though unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable, mailers must comply with applicable regulations.
https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

This is all I could find.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sat May 05, 2018 8:01 am

Per Federal law, you can ship a rifle via USPS if it's IN-STATE. If its a handgun you HAVE to use a contract carrier/FFL.

IMO if you're going to use USPS to ship a rifle, don't tell them it's a rifle. Don't have the case marked as such. Make sure you insure it.

Just so you realize I'm not talking out of my ass, I bought a Mosin Nagant off Armslist from another FL resident and it was shipped USPS to my door no problem.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:47 am

Here are the rules, buried in Publication 52 Handgun rules precede it and are highly restricted.

Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail > 4 Restricted Matter > 43 Firearms > 432 Mailability

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner‘s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
Be addressed to the owner.
Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
Except as described in 432.3a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
Firearms meeting the definition of a rifle or shotgun under 431.4 which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum, which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without restriction when mailed between governmental museums.
Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Sat May 05, 2018 10:36 am

I've shipped them UPS & I just say "camera tripod". I'd rather use UPS than USPS any time.
I can always get an invoice for a video tripod equal the gun value should it get lost.
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Sat May 05, 2018 10:44 am

Skoll wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:01 am
Per Federal law, you can ship a rifle via USPS if it's IN-STATE. If its a handgun you HAVE to use a contract carrier/FFL.

IMO if you're going to use USPS to ship a rifle, don't tell them it's a rifle. Don't have the case marked as such. Make sure you insure it.

Just so you realize I'm not talking out of my ass, I bought a Mosin Nagant off Armslist from another FL resident and it was shipped USPS to my door no problem.
That's one of those no harm no foul if you don't get caught issues. But I can tell you from experience barrels like to poke their way through boxes and may lead to some explaining being due. Insurance also isn't going to cover a misidentified loss (although technically I don't think you have to declare with USPS).
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sat May 05, 2018 11:11 am

molivo wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:44 am
Skoll wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:01 am

That's one of those no harm no foul if you don't get caught issues. But I can tell you from experience barrels like to poke their way through boxes and may lead to some explaining being due. Insurance also isn't going to cover a misidentified loss (although technically I don't think you have to declare with USPS).
I will bow to your experience on this. I will say though the dude had that Mosin wrapped up in so much goddamn bubble wrap I'd have been surprised if it poked out of anything. Took me 15-20 minutes carefully cutting away with a utility knife to get it out.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sat May 05, 2018 11:21 am

I love when people come to FSN to confess to crimes. What ever happened to priests?
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sat May 05, 2018 11:39 am

tector wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:21 am
I love when people come to FSN to confess to crimes. What ever happened to priests?
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-f ... earms-usps

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sat May 05, 2018 11:43 am

Skoll wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:39 am
tector wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:21 am
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-f ... earms-usps

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
You missed it. And I am not ratting him out although we have gone over the subject many times. Many times.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Sat May 05, 2018 11:50 am

That was a clerk imposing his/her/its personal opinions on to you. The Post Office has a very handy multicolor chart in every PO summarizing the regulations. An honest clerk would simply have looked at the chart and had your correct answer in less than a minute. No, the outside of the box is not to show what's in it, per federal law (and common sense, for that matter).
NRA Endowment Member
PhD from University of Hard Knocks

wjbarricklow
Life Member
Life Member

Post by wjbarricklow » Sat May 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Even if it’s legal, the clerk doesn’t have to do it.
...and they think I'm compensating for something?

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:09 pm

wjbarricklow wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:46 pm
Even if it’s legal, the clerk doesn’t have to do it.
So whats next?

Clerk doesn't like used boxes?

Brown envelopes?

Fiber packing tape?

I dont think they get to pick and choose which rules they obey.
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

wjbarricklow
Life Member
Life Member

Post by wjbarricklow » Sat May 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Yeah, pretty much. Had this same discussion with the postmaster general’s office.
...and they think I'm compensating for something?

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Sat May 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Same thing happened to me, mailed an old .22 semiauto to a FFL in NC per the rules and the clerk gave me that line of crap. I had a copy of the Federal regs printed and ready and just handed it to him.

R/Griff

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:45 am

molivo wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:44 am
But I can tell you from experience barrels like to poke their way through boxes and may lead to some explaining being due.
Emptied and washed tuna or cat food can on muzzle. [smilie=011.gif]
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Sun May 06, 2018 9:20 am

Some assembly required:
How about sending the receiver with an enclosed copy of the regulations in one box and the barrel in separate one?
Bubble wrap optional.
Just a thought.
Another thought:
It shouldn't be too hard to find a buyer in Florida and avoid shipping out of state at all.
All it takes is one buyer out of a population of many millions.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Sun May 06, 2018 10:45 am

All they seem to ask at the post office is “are any chemicals, or Li on batteries in that package”. My answer is always no. GARY.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sun May 06, 2018 10:46 am

I've had similar experiences to Gary. Never a single issue at the post office.