TVFix Antennas

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
photohause
Life Member
Life Member

TVFix Antennas

Post by photohause » Thu May 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Any one have this? Any good?
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: TVFix Antennas

Post by FfNJGTFO » Thu May 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Not yet. And I see a lot of bad reviews... Of course, it will only receive "OTA" broadcasts, just like any "outdoor" antenna. It won't receive cable channels, etc.

I'd be skeptical... it might be... [smilie=042.gif]

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Thu May 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Just remember that no one needs a "digital" antenna. No such thing. Don't let them fool you.

All radio/tv/ham radio/ etc signals thru the air are analog signals. Always have been, always will be.

If you want to watch TV for free, just get a decent multi-element antenna (Yagi), and maybe a good amplifier to go with it.

I am about 60 miles between Tally, G Ville, and JAX. I use a $70 tv antenna, with a $50 amplifier. I can rotate it by hand (armstrong method) to point wherever. I stay on the Tally stations, and get a handful that keeps me amused. No monthly bills.
Go Trump!

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:46 pm

I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Fri May 04, 2018 7:58 am

In our area, there's nothing available over the air waves.
To avoid cable tv still requires an internet connection.
Lots of the tv show episodes can be seen at the network host web sites.
The cost of internet service is only a fraction of tv cable.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 pm

g.willikers wrote:In our area, there's nothing available over the air waves.
To avoid cable tv still requires an internet connection.
Lots of the tv show episodes can be seen at the network host web sites.
The cost of internet service is only a fraction of tv cable.
That will change soon.

R/Griff

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Fri May 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Not sure about the actual brand/model in the OP, but have tried similar ones. I imagine most are the same chinese crap just re-branded.

I've tried a few eBay type powered/amplified/motorized HDTV antenna units, most were trash.

I've found so far with a traditional "old school" UHF/VHF Yagi type antenna and a half-decent amplifier that those seem to give decent results. I'm in Spring Hill and get approx 60 channels when antenna is properly positioned (towards Tampa). Used the old Dish/DirectTv wiring for it, split to 4 rooms of the house and still get solid signal throughout, despite splitting. The one run, is somewhat long and has a little bit of loss which was to be expected.

I don't know OP's situation (Renting? Location, HOA etc) but unless you're quite close to the stations those little ones will be disappointing. FWIW I found my antenna up at the curb for trash pickup, they are not hard to find. A craigslist WTB or similar should find you something affordable.

We refuse to pay cable here as well. I'd rather not pay for a service where I'll only watch maybe 3% of the channels I pay for. Netflix/Hulu/OTA covers it pretty well for us.

Antennaweb.org is pretty handy, it will give you a decent idea of where to aim your antenna as well, and give a rough idea of what could be picked up OTA from your zip/address.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Fri May 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Norinco, every time you split the signal you lose half the power (3dB) in that line. Correct about the line loss on long runs.
You can do the math and see where you might need a +3dB or +6dB gain antenna.

R/Griff

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 pm

dammitgriff wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:09 pm
Norinco, every time you split the signal you lose half the power (3dB) in that line. Correct about the line loss on long runs.
You can do the math and see where you might need a +3dB or +6dB gain antenna.

R/Griff
Amplifiers make up for that. I’m using one now. It really works. GARY.

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Sat May 05, 2018 12:35 am

Without the amplifier I get about 20% of what I would If I were using it. Mines a two piece, one somewhat near the mast, and the other part (powered, injector?) is just before it hits the splitter.

I would say a half-decent amp/preamp/booster is pretty much required unless your'e close enough to piss on the TV station's tower.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:57 am

I bought an amplified indoor antenna at Target, trying to get some air broadcast for a TV without a cable box. It got nothing, probably die to concrete block walls, then heated up and started smoking!
Got ROKU instead. Screw "Live" broadcasting - there's very little worth while and I record most everything anyway.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Sat May 05, 2018 10:14 am

Dave P wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:38 pm

All radio/tv/ham radio/ etc signals thru the air are analog signals. Always have been, always will be.

Not true. TV stations have both analog and digital broadcasts.
The digital channel carries a 19.39-megabit-per-second stream of digital data that your digital TV receives and decodes. That band width can be used for 1 station or sub stations depending on how many sub stations the broadcaster has. My local NBC affiliate has 4, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 that my tv recieves, decodes and displays.

Analog transmission can not carry more than 1 video composite (RGB) signal with an audio signal.

Just because it goes out over the air doesn't mean it's analog.

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Sat May 05, 2018 10:19 am

^ Regardless as to how it works, an ancient aerial antenna will still receive the signals. I think he was saying that more to emphasize that there is no need for a unit marketed as a "digital" or "HDTV" antenna. Whether analog or digital or whatever, they are still broadcast on UHF/VHF.

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Sat May 05, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks guys. My post was not about loosing the cable, rather getting signal with power outage from a storm.
HOAs can no longer stop you, that's been settled in court. l might mount in attic only because of storms.
I did it this way years ago and with the amp it works fine.
With regard to cable cutting, I do not have a computer in the same room as the ONE TV I have.
I'll have to look into running a line from my mimi Mac up and over the the TV, maybe using Apple TV or something.
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Sat May 05, 2018 11:49 am

Yes, it is true, all broadcasts are analog, sine wave based.

"Not true. TV stations have both analog and digital broadcasts.
The digital channel carries a 19.39-megabit-per-second stream of digital data that your digital TV receives and decodes. "

A "digital stream/TV" is just a modulated sine wave. Often the sine wave is phase shifted to represent a different symbol, or series of bits. This kind of phase modulation results in nice, smooth transitions from one phase to the next, which results in a narrow RF bandwidth, which you can see on a spectrum analyzer.

A true digital signal has sharp edges where it transitions from a 1 to a 0, and vice versa. These sharp edges are the result of summing large numbers of odd harmonic sine waves, which result in a square wave, with very large bandwidth, which is very wasteful of our limited RF spectrum.
Go Trump!

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Sat May 05, 2018 1:15 pm

You’re talking my language, now, Dave.
The RF spectrum allotment is about maxed-out, and expanding into super-high frequencies which are reserved mostly for space and surveillance programs. Will be interesting to see how high it will go.

R/Griff