"Remanufactured" Ammo at Shoot Straight (Apopka)

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Icy1

"Remanufactured" Ammo at Shoot Straight (Apopka)

Post by Icy1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:59 pm

Couple of people I know had an issue with Shoot Straight (Apopka) regarding ammunition on the range - anyone heard of this before regarding their ammo policy ("No ammunition reloads, armor piercing rounds, incendiary ammo, tracers, or black powder loads are allowed. However, shooters are allowed to bring their own commercial grade, factory new ammunition")?

They were shooting "Military Ballistics Industries" 9mm - From the Lucky Gunner review: ". . .remanufactured product that is brass-cased, boxer-primed, non-corrosive, and reloadable. Remanufactured ammunition is produced by assembling carefully selected components to include specialty bullets, propellants, primers, and previously spent brass cartridge casings. The bullets, propellant, and primers are always newly manufactured while the brass cartridge casings are typically reprocessed to reduce costs or improve consistency"

So this is not home reloads - but "commercial grade" ammo (QC, testing one would hope as a minimum) - but they were stopped (quite rudely) and told they had to leave immediately - because of the "danger" of reloaded ammo

Understand their in the business of selling ammo but this seems to me to more than a little overboard - thoughts?

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Re: "Remanufactured" Ammo at Shoot Straight (Apopka)

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Who cares :-k
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:01 pm

A lot of ranges have that policy. I normally do not see it enforced on commercially reloaded ammo, but it is their range, their property and they set the rules. We don't have the right to tell people what they can do with their property just so we can do what we want. If you don't like it, let them know, politely, and then don't go back. If enough do that, they'll change their policy, but I doubt enough will do that.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

Icy1

Post by Icy1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:10 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:01 pm
A lot of ranges have that policy. I normally do not see it enforced on commercially reloaded ammo, but it is their range, their property and they set the rules. We don't have the right to tell people what they can do with their property just so we can do what we want. If you don't like it, let them know, politely, and then don't go back. If enough do that, they'll change their policy, but I doubt enough will do that.
Agreed it's their rules and they can make them
They certainly did let SSA management know their thoughts
I have other issues with SSA, I won't shoot there
Agreed - they won't change

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:23 pm

All ranges I have been to around here have that same policy. Some even have Guns on display that have blown up using reloads. So the rule is factory ammo. Some reloaders will look through dumpsters behind shooting ranges & grab empty factory ammo boxes. But at check in time we will look in that box of “factory” ammo & notice one shell casing says Winhester, while another says Federal, & yet another says Hornady. Definitely not factory ammo. So that seems to be the policy at all ranges. Factory loads, or nothing. Matter of fact, before SS came to Palm Beach, Gator guns had a policy of shooting the ammo you bought that day. Suppose you bought 2 boxes of ammo at Gator to shoot, but decided to quit after that one box. When you left with that unfired box, you could not return with that same box of ammo to shoot at Gator Guns even though it was purchased there. GARY

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:58 pm

N4KVE wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:23 pm
All ranges I have been to around here have that same policy. Some even have Guns on display that have blown up using reloads. So the rule is factory ammo. Some reloaders will look through dumpsters behind shooting ranges & grab empty factory ammo boxes. But at check in time we will look in that box of “factory” ammo & notice one shell casing says Winhester, while another says Federal, & yet another says Hornady. Definitely not factory ammo. So that seems to be the policy at all ranges. Factory loads, or nothing. Matter of fact, before SS came to Palm Beach, Gator guns had a policy of shooting the ammo you bought that day. Suppose you bought 2 boxes of ammo at Gator to shoot, but decided to quit after that one box. When you left with that unfired box, you could not return with that same box of ammo to shoot at Gator Guns even though it was purchased there. GARY
Gary you are correct about gator guns. Thats why i have never stepped foot in there since SS came into town. Any range that says i have to buy their ammo to shoot will not get my money.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 pm

That rule has been SOP in almost all indoor ranges that I've used.

Outdoors, they dont seem to care.
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member

Post by #1Glock30 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:05 pm

My friend's brand new Troy Ind cqb rifle blew the upper and lower receivers to hell the first shot with his professionally reloaded ammunition at my home range. Turned out the re-manufacturer had inadvertently way overloaded the reload. He replaced the AR so in the end it turned out fine. But I will never ever ever hold onto the magazine well again. Thankfully my buddies wife who fired the shot had her hand on the front grip.
So I get it. The insurances and all.
SHTF Ready

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:26 pm

cubanstang50 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Gary you are correct about gator guns. Thats why i have never stepped foot in there since SS came into town. Any range that says i have to buy their ammo to shoot will not get my money.
I used to shoot there all the time until SS came to town. Gun prices at Gator were insane, but Carlos, the range guy was cool. He actually let me bring my own ammo as long as I showed him it was factory ammo. I’d cut open a fresh battle pack of South African 7.62X51, & he’d smile. He’s no longer there but he was the only thing I liked about Gator Guns.

Augdawg

Post by Augdawg » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:38 am

It is also a liability issue. If you get hurt shooting reloads or the person next to you gets hurt, there are some who would sue. When we had our range we did not let reloads or remanufactured ammo on the range (at one time we did, but after several damaged/destroyed guns (theirs) we instituted policy). Most people understood and those that did not went to another range. If unhappy about policy, find another range that will let you shoot remanufactured ammo or reloads.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:56 am

An indoor range in New Port Richey had the same policy except that their cheapest shop ammo was "remanufactured". It blew up a bunch of handguns. I believe they were using a small load of a fast burning powder like Unique or Bullseye to save $$ and got an unacceptable number of overloads.

That was supposed to be a professional operation and it screwed up badly. I will not trust any reloads I don't do myself, I keep all powder and components in their original packaging and I wont use any powder that doesn't pretty much fill the case to make any overloads evident and to avoid the double stroke danger. No matter how careful you are eventually you WILL screw up, so set up your loading routines to make any mistakes impossible.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

bmup
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bmup » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:12 am

I will not spend my money at a range that requires me to buy their ammo & I will leave if they won't allow my handloads.
My handloads are better than factory ammo for the same reason your mother's apple pie is better than store-bought. I make them one at a time and I am always checking for quality & consistency during the process. Not only that, but handloading allows me to make "Special" loads that allow my wife to shoot without freaking out over the recoil & also allows us to shoot .32 S&W which is god-awful expensive if/when you can find it. Most ranges don't even stock it.

Just my 2 cents...
Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.
-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:21 am

bmup wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:12 am
I will not spend my money at a range that requires me to buy their ammo & I will leave if they won't allow my handloads.
My handloads are better than factory ammo for the same reason your mother's apple pie is better than store-bought. I make them one at a time and I am always checking for quality & consistency during the process. Not only that, but handloading allows me to make "Special" loads that allow my wife to shoot without freaking out over the recoil & also allows us to shoot .32 S&W which is god-awful expensive if/when you can find it. Most ranges don't even stock it.

Just my 2 cents...
Don't know how the other Shoot Straights do it, but the West Palm Beach once doesn't require you to buy their ammo, nor does Palm Beach Shooting Center. I think Gator Guns does though. As for reloaded ammo, I don't know of any indoor ranges down here that allow that, for the previous mentioned reasons of liability. Shoot Straight doesn't even rent out guns anymore because of people committing suicide with them.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:25 am

The indoor range about a mile from us has the same policy regarding ammunition - name brand factory only.
But they do sell a brand of commercial reloads.
Go figure.
So I usually travel 30 miles round trip to an outdoor range that doesn't care what ammo I use.
Better on the lungs, too.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:18 am

Gator guns doesn't have any restriction on ammunition, don't have to purchase their ammo or you can't bring the unused ammo back, I've never heard of that, I would not patronize a range with those rules, yea, Carlos was a real nice friendly individual , but he is gone I'm sorry to say and the fella now behind the counter is a non entity, personality of a turd. We had to argue with him one day to turn the A/C up it was sweltering in the range, finally four of us started to leave and he got the clue, the range down on 10th AV near I95 is a nice clean facility since they changed management ..."

_: _: rw: rw:

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:36 am

Trouter3 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:18 am
Gator guns doesn't have any restriction on ammunition, don't have to purchase their ammo or you can't bring the unused ammo back, I've never heard of that, I would not patronize a range with those rules, yea, Carlos was a real nice friendly individual , but he is gone I'm sorry to say and the fella now behind the counter is a non entity, personality of a turd. We had to argue with him one day to turn the A/C up it was sweltering in the range, finally four of us started to leave and he got the clue, the range down on 10th AV near I95 is a nice clean facility since they changed management ..."

_: _: rw: rw:
I always heard that Gator made you buy their ammo, so I never actually went.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

wjbarricklow
Life Member
Life Member

Post by wjbarricklow » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:05 am

Last time I went to Gator Guns, they had instituted that policy. I wouldn't know if the policy changed, because I haven’t set foot inside since.

Went to Palm Beach Shooting Center with a friend. He bought their range reloads and stacked three or four squibs in the barrel. They took care of it, but it took a minth to gwt my gun back with the barrel replaced.

I just gave up on shooting in Palm Beach County.
Last edited by wjbarricklow on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
...and they think I'm compensating for something?

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:05 am

What's so hard to understand when a range says no reloads, it means no f'n reloads period.

Whining about it like a bunch of cheap ass trailer park residents won't make it go away.

So quick to attack those in business to make money and provide a service, especially in a business that supports the shooting industry.

F'n retards are so quick to cut your own throats.

Dumb a*s 8 dollar an hour red necks..........

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:49 am

When one is running a business, anything that will reduce liability is basic. Yeah, I know, an individual's own ammo/reloads blows up his/her/its own gun and hand, it's his/her/its problem. Sounds logical? But, when the process server comes a knocking, it's a problem for your business. Also, suppose the blow-up harms another person at the range. It becomes the range which was negligent in not doing the obvious to prevent it. Factory ammo, the liability can be palmed off on the manufacturer.

jjk, I like that idea of specifically choosing a powder for a case-fill volume that avoids mistakes.
NRA Endowment Member
PhD from University of Hard Knocks

groundsclown

Post by groundsclown » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Water Rat wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:05 am
Dumb a*s 8 dollar an hour red necks..........
Please, don't hold back....how do ya REALLY feel? [smilie=popcorn.gif]