Are Rolexes worth it, or just overpriced junk?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
MARKAR

Re: Are Rolexes worth it, or just overpriced junk?

Post by MARKAR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:29 am

Some folks think nothing but a $700 red dot scope will do the job. Others get by with a Bushnell TRS-25. Just like optics and firearms, with fine mechanical timepieces you get what you pay for. Rolex watches are one of the few items you can buy, use the hell out of them and they will still be worth as much or more than you paid for it.

I have two Rolex watches, one over 50 years old, that have been used daily on and off. Not that I would, but I can sell either one of them in a heartbeat for more than I paid.

Not many things you can say that about. Not safe queen firearms or even the ubiquitous FSN pick up truck.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 am

Back when I was younger I purchased a Rolex SS Submariner...just because all the other salesmen I worked with had one and I had an opportunity to buy one at good price from Switzerland. This was just after I got out of University and had my first "real" job. It cost me my sales commission for the month. I bought it because it was a status symbol...and I started to like well made stuff. I wore that watch for about 3 years but never felt comfortable with it and I'm sure a lot of people who saw that watch on my wrist thought it was a fake...even my girlfriend at the time (my wife now) thought it was a fake when we met. I found a co-worker who was will to pay me what I had into it so I sold it. Year or two later my wife got me for my birthday a TAG Heuer Professional. I wore that watch every day for 20+ years and liked it a lot. About 3 years ago I stopped wearing watch (got a smart phone) and I put it away and plan on giving it to my son when he's grown up. Only time I wear a watch now is when I go hunting so I can check and set my feeders and it's a $29 Casio.
Rolex is definitely not a junk but it is over priced for what you get but it's had to put a price on the status and prestige associated with the name.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:26 am

Rock Island Armory vs Wilson Combat. :ber

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:15 am

rug357 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 am
About 3 years ago I stopped wearing watch (got a smart phone) and I put it away and plan on giving it to my son when he's grown up.
I will still wear a watch. I can give it a quick glance to know the time, rather than fumbling for a smart phone, clicking it on, swiping it etc. just to know the time. It just works well and involves minimal effort to get the result.
DaveM wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:26 am
Precisely! :ber

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:35 am

DaveM wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:26 am
When talking about high quality Quartz vs high quality automatic mechanical watches it's more like comparing A Wilson Combat at RI prices vs a Wilson Combat at Wilson prices. As far as reliability and timekeeping go you get nothing, or less than nothing, for the extra $$$. Rolex et. al. are status symbols, not watches.
[smilie=011.gif]
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

patw
Life Member
Life Member

Post by patw » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:03 am

I would not say they are junk,they are a nice watch. I don't have one myself and don't see getting one,barring maybe winning the lottery. I think they are a nice watch and a status symbol, but so are guns,cars,motorcycles,etc., in a way. That is the beauty of options.

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 am

Rolex has a roughly 40% mark-up. This is public information. Is the watch still worth the price? For those that like a year long hand build watch made with in house movements it is. I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm (ref114300) which is a entry level Rolex. It's not gaudy and can be dressed up or down. I appreciate the time (he he) that went into making it and know it will last a lifetime and will be worth more in 10 years than I paid for it last year. I bought it as a gift to myself for busting my ass to get to where I am. I could care less what people think, I bought it for me. I like it for the same reason I like custom 1911's. :ber

10MMGary
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 10MMGary » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:07 am

Some Rolex's are worth more than others.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hylabauer/ ... bd8a3a5313
When people ask me "do your dogs bite?", I tell them of course my dogs bite, all dogs bite. The question should be will your dogs bite me?

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:51 pm

I wear a Citizen EcoDrive on a daily basis, you guys wouldn’t believe how many times I get compliments and asked what kind of watch it is.
It looks like a Breitling, $200 at Costco.
I’ve been offered $500 on the spot twice.
It replaced a 10 + years old GShock, gotta love this Casio GShocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

Richard2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Richard2003 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:32 pm

I have that same watch. Love it. No battery to die. I also have a GShock works on light also. A year ago I brought a few quartz watches to a watch repair guy and 3 of them were useless due to battery leakage. No more battery watches for me.

captain steinbrenner wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:51 pm
I wear a Citizen EcoDrive on a daily basis, you guys wouldn’t believe how many times I get compliments and asked what kind of watch it is.
It looks like a Breitling, $200 at Costco.
I’ve been offered $500 on the spot twice.
It replaced a 10 + years old GShock, gotta love this Casio GShocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ss1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ss1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:22 am

My better half has a Rolex and I wear an Apple Watch. I can forget my phone or have it go dead and still function tech wise while she can just keep time in a classy way. Now, if we were stranded on a deserted island, I’d have a useless thing strapped to my wrist in 48 hours and she can still keep time. So it’s not junk but doesn’t offer me what I want from a watch while I’m not on a deserted island.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:25 am

10MMGary wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:07 am
Some Rolex's are worth more than others.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hylabauer/ ... bd8a3a5313
Would that be the "George Orwell" signature series???? [smilie=011.gif]

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Ironman wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 am
Rolex has a roughly 40% mark-up. This is public information. Is the watch still worth the price? For those that like a year long hand build watch made with in house movements it is. I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm (ref114300) which is a entry level Rolex. It's not gaudy and can be dressed up or down. I appreciate the time (he he) that went into making it and know it will last a lifetime and will be worth more in 10 years than I paid for it last year. I bought it as a gift to myself for busting my ass to get to where I am. I could care less what people think, I bought it for me. I like it for the same reason I like custom 1911's. :ber

That's a beautiful watch. I want a Rolex SS Submariner with a blue dial maybe. Will buy myself one for my 60th birthday.

Heck the more I kept looking at yours. I think I like it more than the Submariner

To me a Rolex, custom gun or anything else for that matter. Is a work of art. There's nothing like sitting behind a custom built rifle that you had built. Feeling how the bolt cycles as it loads a round.

Then looking through the scope that cost as much as the rifle. There are differences in glass used. Then when you pull the trigger and the gun fires. The recoil is different it seems to be softer not as harsh and pushes not jumps against you. The bullet always hits where you aim.

It's almost as if you and the rifle are one.

None of my other rifles shoot or feel the same when fired. It is a work of art.

To me I want one just because like anything else, we as individuals. Buy things because we want them for our own personal reasons. A Rolex is a work of art and beauty.

Is it worth it. Well it's worth it to some obviously. They've been in business long enough and have been selling them. My point is if it makes YOU happy. That's all that matters in life.

I knew a lady who bought a used Mercedes-Benz and went nuts after She got it. She thought in her mind that just because she now drove a Mercedes-Benz.

That people were now constantly trying to run into her to file an insurance claim because they thought she had wealthy.

Simply because she drove a Mercedes-Benz. It drove her nuts until she sold it and bought an SUV.

She let the idea of what others thought of her because she bought something she always wanted play on her mind. That she could not enjoy the Mercedes-Benz she'd wanted all her adult life.

Same here with a Rolex, custom built 6k rifle or what ever it is you want that makes you happy. Don't let what a few selfish people think ruin your happiness. Either that or go see a doctor and get some meds for your condition [smilie=011.gif]

Then there are of coarse people. That when you talk about what you bought because you got excited and want to tell your friends will accuse you of bragging. When that's the furthest thing from your mind. It's people like that. That would hit you to collect on insurance [smilie=011.gif]

Those are the people that hate to see anyone around them enjoy life or be happy about anything. Stay away from these people. They are not your friends and will bring you down in life.

So get what you want if you've saved for it/can afford it and enjoy it. Tell your friends about. Chances are your friend have a few things they'd like to show you they bought but thought it was over the top. But kept it to themselves.

:ber
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:53 pm

firemedic, you and the Mercedes lady are overthinking it. I love my Citizen watch because it keeps perfect time, never runs down, looks decent and I haven't been able to damage it yet. Period. I do not care what anyone else thinks about it.

Ditto for a Rolex. If it turns you on, go for it. That I wouldn't spend the $$$ on a Rolex, not because I couldn't afford it but because I wouldn't get any particular enjoyment out of it, is none of your concern. And the watch you choose to wear is none of my concern.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:01 am

9mm I'm not over the king anything. I just paid iron man a complimented told you a true story about a lady that owned one of those cars. I didn't make that up about that car. His woman was nuts. Thank GOD she moved from across the street from me [smilie=011.gif]

The rest is just an opinion. As far as your citizen watch goes they are fantastic also. [smilie=011.gif]

I just let's see gave a complement, told a story and told how I felt. How's that to much into anything when a person can't say how they feel without being judged for doing so.

Be careful jj there is something as being to over opinionated about other people.
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 am

I speak from experience, not baseless opinion. My son was temporarily flush, and I suspect a little drunk, when he bought a Rolex in Cancun. And sold it less than a year later, replaced it with a series of "Bolex", etc copies - none of his girlfriends could tell the difference. But he had the "Young man on the way up" syndrome at the time. Now he just wears a dive watch since he lives on a catamaran in the Caribbean and wouldn't want to wreck anything more expensive or less durable.

In summary, my opinion is that Rolexes are not "overpriced junk". But any rationale for buying one is purely emotional.
[smilie=011.gif]

Gmountain
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gmountain » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 pm

jjk308 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 am
I speak from experience, not baseless opinion. My son was temporarily flush, and I suspect a little drunk, when he bought a Rolex in Cancun. And sold it less than a year later, replaced it with a series of "Bolex", etc copies - none of his girlfriends could tell the difference. But he had the "Young man on the way up" syndrome at the time. Now he just wears a dive watch since he lives on a catamaran in the Caribbean and wouldn't want to wreck anything more expensive or less durable.

In summary, my opinion is that Rolexes are not "overpriced junk". But any rationale for buying one is purely emotional.
[smilie=011.gif]
Honestly, I don't know how you could wreck a Rolex, short of hitting it with a jackhammer.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

I just pulled up on Google a whole page of images of damaged Rolex's. The crystals are just as vulnerable as on any watch and the cases are certainly better than the base metal or plastic cheapo's but no better than any other decent quality watch.
One reason I like my Citizen is that the sides of the rectangular case protect the crystal and I haven't been able to crack it like I've done with every other watch I've owned.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 am

jjk308:

What kind of watch do you have?
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Tue May 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Smartphones are watches that are synced to an atomic clock signal. Good enough, but I guess I never felt the use for constantly looking at the time on my left wrist...