Are Rolexes worth it, or just overpriced junk?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
SteyrAUG
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Are Rolexes worth it, or just overpriced junk?

Post by SteyrAUG » Wed May 02, 2018 3:09 am

As you have observed, they are a chronometer.

That said they can be a very expensive and impractically priced chronometer. Sport models are worth it, looks nice and can usually stand up to the rigors of an outdoor person. But honestly Omegas are probably superior.

I dig Rolex for nostalgia and things like that. GMTs and Subs are probably my favorite. Day/Dates are status symbols that demonstrate you are willing to spend $20,000 or more to know the day, date and time. If $20k means nothing to you, then buy all means wear a Presidential. Just keep in mind you might have to defend it from time to time with the equivalent of one years salary for most people on your wrist.

I know guys who actually collect Rolex watches and drop hundreds of thousands of dollars just to have a nice selection of a few dozen interesting models. I don't completely understand it, but they don't understand why I need more than one kind of AR, SMG, carry gun, etc.
Steyr808@yahoo.com
FFL Broward County, FL

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Wed May 02, 2018 6:34 am

In 1995 I bought a bogus Rolex from a friend for $30. It still works today, & keeps perfect time. The battery has been changed numerous times, but it does the job. I only wear it when going out to a fancy joint, so it still looks new. It does the job, & people think I am wearing the real deal w/o me dropping a ton of $. Nobody looks at the movement of the second hand to try to figure out if it is real, or not. It keeps perfect time, & serves it’s purpose. GARY

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 am

tector wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 am
jjk308:

What kind of watch do you have?
A gold tone Citizen Eco-Drive chronometer, rectangular case, H501 movement. Not sure how old it is, 25 yrs plus, but I bought it on eBay for $99 from someone who had left it lying in a drawer for 7 years. Let it sit in the sun a few hours and it's run and kept time within 12 seconds at the EST - EDT time change for the past 15 years.
The only generic problem I've heard of on Eco-Drives have been rare capacitor failures. Otherwise they seem to last until people get tired of them. The only annoyance is the 31 day month - requires advancing the date in other months. I passed on a chance to buy a perpetual date one last week because although it was similar it wasn't exactly the same in case design, looked like the crystal was more exposed and I have a tendency to bust them.
This isn't a perfect watch but the closest I've had to one that meets all my needs, which do not involve personal jewelry and ego boosting.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Wed May 02, 2018 7:22 am

They are fine mechanical devices Worth as much as a status symbol as a time piece.
Myself, I have better more important to me things to blow cash/credit on. And I don't wear jewelry.
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

23Preacher
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 23Preacher » Wed May 02, 2018 10:12 am

I must be the only guy in here who still uses a $29.99 Timex,damn...

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 am

Daily wear is a $10 Casio for me. Keeps good time, & waterproof too. GARY.

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Mon May 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Indeed. I bought it for the mechanics and love that went into making it. Just like you said. A custom 1911 or well built action on a precision rifle. I appreciate manipulating mechanical things just as you do. As for the cost, most here will lose money in the stock market this year. I can wear this watch for 10 years of enjoyment and sell it for more than I paid. No risk. My money so I don't care what others think. :ber

firemedic2000 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:04 pm
Ironman wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 am
Rolex has a roughly 40% mark-up. This is public information. Is the watch still worth the price? For those that like a year long hand build watch made with in house movements it is. I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm (ref114300) which is a entry level Rolex. It's not gaudy and can be dressed up or down. I appreciate the time (he he) that went into making it and know it will last a lifetime and will be worth more in 10 years than I paid for it last year. I bought it as a gift to myself for busting my ass to get to where I am. I could care less what people think, I bought it for me. I like it for the same reason I like custom 1911's. :ber

That's a beautiful watch. I want a Rolex SS Submariner with a blue dial maybe. Will buy myself one for my 60th birthday.

Heck the more I kept looking at yours. I think I like it more than the Submariner

To me a Rolex, custom gun or anything else for that matter. Is a work of art. There's nothing like sitting behind a custom built rifle that you had built. Feeling how the bolt cycles as it loads a round.

Then looking through the scope that cost as much as the rifle. There are differences in glass used. Then when you pull the trigger and the gun fires. The recoil is different it seems to be softer not as harsh and pushes not jumps against you. The bullet always hits where you aim.

It's almost as if you and the rifle are one.

None of my other rifles shoot or feel the same when fired. It is a work of art.

To me I want one just because like anything else, we as individuals. Buy things because we want them for our own personal reasons. A Rolex is a work of art and beauty.

Is it worth it. Well it's worth it to some obviously. They've been in business long enough and have been selling them. My point is if it makes YOU happy. That's all that matters in life.

I knew a lady who bought a used Mercedes-Benz and went nuts after She got it. She thought in her mind that just because she now drove a Mercedes-Benz.

That people were now constantly trying to run into her to file an insurance claim because they thought she had wealthy.

Simply because she drove a Mercedes-Benz. It drove her nuts until she sold it and bought an SUV.

She let the idea of what others thought of her because she bought something she always wanted play on her mind. That she could not enjoy the Mercedes-Benz she'd wanted all her adult life.

Same here with a Rolex, custom built 6k rifle or what ever it is you want that makes you happy. Don't let what a few selfish people think ruin your happiness. Either that or go see a doctor and get some meds for your condition [smilie=011.gif]

Then there are of coarse people. That when you talk about what you bought because you got excited and want to tell your friends will accuse you of bragging. When that's the furthest thing from your mind. It's people like that. That would hit you to collect on insurance [smilie=011.gif]

Those are the people that hate to see anyone around them enjoy life or be happy about anything. Stay away from these people. They are not your friends and will bring you down in life.

So get what you want if you've saved for it/can afford it and enjoy it. Tell your friends about. Chances are your friend have a few things they'd like to show you they bought but thought it was over the top. But kept it to themselves.

:ber