Are Rolexes worth it, or just overpriced junk?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Gmountain
Life Member
Life Member

Are Rolexes worth it, or just overpriced junk?

Post by Gmountain » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:29 pm

Are Rolex watches worth the money? Are they overpriced? Are they a serious tool, or just jewelry for those that can afford them? Are the y both? Are their other watches that can do the same, or better?

I submit that they are worth it. They aren't quartz watches, they are mechanical, so they do gain or lose a second or two each month.

Other than that, I think they are worth what you pay for them. I've worn the same Rolex every single day- every day- for over 30 years. That's a long time to wear the same watch.

My watch has been in hot weather and cold weather. Snow, ice, sleet, rain. It has been in the shower, and in swimming pools. I use it when I go shooting. It has been 180 feet down in the ocean one time and 125 feet or more a lot of times.

It has held up, and still runs like a top, and still looks good. For my money, it's worth it.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Are Rolexes worth it, or just overpriced junk?

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:36 pm

I've never been one on "brand name" anything. So, I'd be voting "No" here. I've done well with my Casio "G-Shock" for the last several years. Maybe it's just me, but things like name brand cars, clothes, jewelry, etc. etc. are just not for me. A car is just transportation for me... not a statement. Likewise, with all those other things.

Now, OTOH, Sig Sauer anything.... [smilie=011.gif]

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Why use a mechanical watch instead of a quartz though?

For my perspective their intended function of keeping time can be done just as well, and even indeed better by a quartz watch at 1/100th of the price.

I will concede that there is one function they serve better and that is first impressions. Particularly first impressions on women, especially certain kinds of women. Possibly also first impressions on business associates depending on what business you are in. For this purpose though they are a piece of jewelry and not a tool.
Libertas aut mortis!

Gmountain
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gmountain » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:03 pm

For my perspective their intended function of keeping time can be done just as well, and even indeed better by a quartz watch at 1/100th of the price.

I will concede that there is one function they serve better and that is first impressions. Particularly first impressions on women, especially certain kinds of women. Possibly also first impressions on business associates depending on what business you are in. For this purpose though they are a piece of jewelry and not a tool.
I think their function is not just keeping time, but keeping time through all conditions and for a lifetime, as well as looking good.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Gmountain wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:23 pm
Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:03 pm

I think their function is not just keeping time, but keeping time through all conditions and for a lifetime, as well as looking good.
Take it off and set it in the back of your gun safe for 2 weeks and let me know if it kept the time. There I just found one condition where it won’t keep time and it’s not even a harsh one.

It’s superiority is limited to its function as a status symbol.
Libertas aut mortis!

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:31 pm

I have several watches... from 50 bucks to a couple grand. IMO there's a huge difference between a $200 watch and a $20 watch in construction and longevity, but above that you're just paying for jewelry and status. My $100 watches are holding up just as well as the ones that cost a lot more. The only thing the cheaper watches can't do is make a first impression for you... whether it be a good one or a bad one depending on who you're meeting.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Have a friend who owns a jewelry store. He wears a knock=off Rolex. He says it's lighter and if he has to give it up (robbery) he's only out $75.
They are pretty heavy. I inherited a beautiful Omega Mariner, gold, very light. I parted wit it because I don't wear watches.
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

Skeezix
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Skeezix » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:44 pm

I bought two fake Rolexes in Saudi Arabia.
Cost me $25 apiece. Well worth it.
Gave them to my father-in-law.
He got a kick out of them.
Closest I'll ever get to owning one.
I kill watches. Lucky if one makes it to one
year before it self destructs.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:52 pm

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:33 pm

To me it's just a watch seems like a lot for just a watch could never justify the cost as they are any where from 6K to 250,000 for a watch.[smilie=popcorn.gif]
"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Like anything, there is junk vs quality.
Beyond that it goes to investment because market has placed a value on it beyond its actual cost to make and reasonable resale profit.

If one is making get by money, it makes no sense.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Only a butthurt fanboy could come up with a false choice like the title of this thread.

Isn't it possible for something to be "overpriced" (i.e. the price in large measure driven by the desperate vanity of the buyers) yet not "junk"?

Anyone who would call a Rolex "junk" is a fool--they are fine watches. They are worth, by definition, what the market will bear. The salient point is that when it comes to Rolex, and certain other brands, the market is driven by a perceived status acquired along with the object. People are paying a huge premium for that status--not the watch per se.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Gmountain
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gmountain » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:22 pm

tector wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:45 pm
Only a butthurt fanboy could come up with a false choice like the title of this thread.

Isn't it possible for something to be "overpriced" (i.e. the price in large measure driven by the desperate vanity of the buyers) yet not "junk"?

Anyone who would call a Rolex "junk" is a fool--they are fine watches. They are worth, by definition, what the market will bear. The salient point is that when it comes to Rolex, and certain other brands, the market is driven by a perceived status acquired along with the object. People are paying a huge premium for that status--not the watch per se.
I'm not sure people are paying a huge premium for status. Handmade work using quality materials, or in some cases precious metals and gemstones, costs money. I think it's a mistake to say people only want a Rolex for status.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:48 pm

Here's a reasonable rule of thumb:

If rappers are singing about a "luxury" brand, you are definitely paying a substantial status ("bling") surcharge for that item. They are completely about superficiality over substance.

SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:49 am

FfNJGTFO wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:36 pm
I've never been one on "brand name" anything. So, I'd be voting "No" here. I've done well with my Casio "G-Shock" for the last several years. Maybe it's just me, but things like name brand cars, clothes, jewelry, etc. etc. are just not for me. A car is just transportation for me... not a statement. Likewise, with all those other things.

Now, OTOH, Sig Sauer anything.... [smilie=011.gif]
This. My g shocks not very classy, but it's been to hell and back.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

Jay561
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jay561 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:20 am

Seems like they don't lose value over time.

In the world of watches, its kinda a cheap watch.

PzGren

Post by PzGren » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:18 am

I wanted to buy one in 1981 and asked a German friend, a duke related to the von Bismarcks, with good connections, what price he could get me. He recommended not to get a Rolex. He told me that Rolex bought many of the movements in Southern Germany to fill the increased demand and that quality had deteriorated over the years - and that was about 37 years ago.

I

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:24 am

A Rolex isn't junk but is kinda like a precision target rifle, cut rifling, polished, fluted barrel, adjustable stock, $1200 scope.... but a matchlock. Mechanical drive watches are obsolete. They need regular cleaning and time setting, are a lot less reliable and less accurate than a really good quartz watch. A Rolex is really nothing more than jewelry, mostly for display, not timekeeping. The average person can't tell if you have diamond or cubic zirconium jewelry and ditto for real vs fake Rolex watches. So a Rolex is an ego boost to the owner and that's it.

The only watch I wear now is a Citizen Eco-Drive Chronograph, H501 series, tank style case, runs on light - sunlight or indoors lighting works fine, water resistant. When I adjust the time for the EST - DST changes it is never more than 12 seconds off the official NIST time. And to top it off the tank style case is the only one where I haven't scratched or cracked the crystal like I usually do on round cased watches. It is at least 25 years old, reliable, never even been opened, and the best $99 I ever spent on eBay.

My only complaint is the date setting has to be manually advanced for months with less than 31 days. Our calendar being irregular that function would be better if fully electronic, LCD. Quartz high end models with "perpetual" calendars good to the year 2100 cost a LOT more.

If you want a really good dress/everyday watch get a top end Citizen or Seiko.

Dive or other specialized watches are a separate field in themselves and I know little about them.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 am

The only "brand" watch I've ever really wanted is the Seiko Arnold Schwarzenegger wore in Commando and Predator. I've still had the same $12 dollar stainless steel watch for the past 8 years though cause it just works and I have no actual need for a pricey status symbol. I acknowledge other people don't have my mindset and like to have nice things, and there's nothing wrong with that.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

macattack321
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by macattack321 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:02 am

jjk308 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:24 am
The only watch I wear now is a Citizen Eco-Drive Chronograph, H501 series, tank style case, runs on light - sunlight or indoors lighting works fine, water resistant. When I adjust the time for the EST - DST changes it is never more than 12 seconds off the official NIST time.
+1 I have a titanium Eco-Drive with a sapphire crystal. Rugged, lightweight and reliable in one package!