VPN for internet anyone use one?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
ger42
Life Member
Life Member

VPN for internet anyone use one?

Post by ger42 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm

I just got an Amazon Fire Tv and am looking to load it with Kodi which is supposed to open up more , at this point free, stuff.

Everyone writes about using a VPN.

Commnets and suggestions welcomed.
NRA Life Member
Get Strong Live Long
"Lord, I seek your wisdom and guidance in making me the person my dogs think I am"

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Re: VPN for internet anyone use one?

Post by Cardboard_killer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:39 pm

I use NordVPN. It's easy to set up. It isn't a cure all, but it does direct you to one of their partnered servers from which you cruise the net. That keeps your ISP from tacking you and selling your information, for starters. It does slow the net down a little, but with fios it isn't noticible normally for me. I don't know how it would interact with a firestick, though.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

jr81452

Post by jr81452 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:25 pm

I use Private Internet Access https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
Low priced and one of the few that keeps no customer information, so they have nothing to give if the MPAA comes with a subpoena. You can even pay anonymously with a gift card.
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."

☻/
/▌
/ \

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:26 am

I have used PIA, and it worked quite well, seemless.
I tried ProtonVPN, but did not like it--slow and problems,
I now use Perfect Privacy, and like it quite a bit.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:19 am

Why? :-k
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 am

jjk308 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:19 am
Why? :-k
So that the VPN service can track your internet traffic instead of your ISP. With a VPN your ISP can’t track you but it just kicks that can down to the VPN and whether they are tracking you or not.
Libertas aut mortis!

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 am

Opera browser has a vpn built in.
It seems to help, along with the usual cleaners like CCleaner and Bleachbit.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:00 pm

If you're technologically inclined, look into using an encrypted DNS service. Makes tracking your activity much harder.
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

If you're looking to use a VPN to mask bootleg video streaming, it isn't worth it. The ISP may not be able to see the IPs that are being accessed for the data, but they'll catch onto the large "masked" data stream to your house.

Well, I also guess it depends on how much you plan on streaming/downloading. I've only known 1 person to get booted from their ISP for "masked data traffic"(he was downloading a bunch of stuff illegally, all the time) and had another friend get a few warnings from his ISP (but he had 2 other adult roommates and they all streamed/played online games, so theirs was different).

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:27 pm

g.willikers wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 am
I think (or have read) that Operas VPN, is just a proxy.
Having said that, I use both! [smilie=011.gif]
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 pm

g.willikers wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 am
You might wanna get rid of CCleaner. Ever since that Chinese company bought them out, they've been in a scandal with recording users data.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:27 am

If you are downloading on your phone and have the wifi turned you will be caught immediately. You will receive an email from your internet company tell you exactly what you did down to the time, data used and what you downloaded.

You are better off downloading on your phone without wifi and then mirroring on your tv.
jwperry wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm
If you're looking to use a VPN to mask bootleg video streaming, it isn't worth it. The ISP may not be able to see the IPs that are being accessed for the data, but they'll catch onto the large "masked" data stream to your house.

Well, I also guess it depends on how much you plan on streaming/downloading. I've only known 1 person to get booted from their ISP for "masked data traffic"(he was downloading a bunch of stuff illegally, all the time) and had another friend get a few warnings from his ISP (but he had 2 other adult roommates and they all streamed/played online games, so theirs was different).
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:58 am

cubanstang50 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:27 am
If you are downloading on your phone and have the wifi turned you will be caught immediately. You will receive an email from your internet company tell you exactly what you did down to the time, data used and what you downloaded.

You are better off downloading on your phone without wifi and then mirroring on your tv.
jwperry wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

That's interesting to know!

When my friends had issues, this was back in the days of Kazaa and LimeWire, when you could get an IP address to stream boxing or MMA.

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 am

cubanstang50 wrote:
If you are downloading on your phone and have the wifi turned you will be caught immediately.
Use a VPN at your router, not at your computer. Then every device going through your ISP will be using a VPN, including the Smart=dumb TVs
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:04 am

Hmmm, how do you do this? Lol
Cardboard_killer wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 am
cubanstang50 wrote:
If you are downloading on your phone and have the wifi turned you will be caught immediately.
Use a VPN at your router, not at your computer. Then every device going through your ISP will be using a VPN, including the Smart=dumb TVs
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.