Osceola County gun "buyback"

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Osceola County gun "buyback"

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:20 pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/190296575091702/

Giving $50 walmart of gas giftcards for guns, 2 of them for "AR-15 & AR-10"

Maybe I should hit home depot to get some 2x4, piping, a few nails, and some ducktap to make a few cheap slam-fire shotguns. Probably not worth the drive for me though other than to make the point.
Libertas aut mortis!

Skoll

Re: Osceola County gun "buyback"

Post by Skoll » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:43 pm

The cynical part of me knows only the people looking to get rid of stolen or guns used in crime use these, cause its a quick $50 bucks. And those types who are extreme virtue signalers looking for "im so woke" internet points when they inevitably brag about trading in their $850 dollar rifle for a $50 dollar giftcard on Facebook "for the kids".
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:48 pm

You’d have to be a stupid criminal to hand over evidence to the police for any amount of gift cards even if it is supposedly anonymous, especially if it’s a gun you actually used in a crime. No they get only the virtue signallers, the disgruntled wives, the ignorant widows/heirs, and the people turning in crap probably non-functioning guns that aren’t even worth the 50 buck gift card.
Libertas aut mortis!

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:48 pm
You’d have to be a stupid criminal to hand over evidence to the police for any amount of gift cards even if it is supposedly anonymous, especially if it’s a gun you actually used in a crime. No they get only the virtue signallers, the disgruntled wives, the ignorant widows/heirs, and the people turning in crap probably non-functioning guns that aren’t even worth the 50 buck gift card.
I mean, most criminals are stupid but a lot of inner cities do this exact same thing and most of what they get back are "hot" guns or peoples old, neglected barely functional firearms. It's nothing new.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:09 pm

I've heard of people buying up broken Jennings and Cobras and saving them up for things like this.

I heard about one guy who did it and got enough gift cards to go down and buy 3 or 4 single shot .22s for his cub scouts.

One father of the year turned in 4 and bought his kid some air Jordan's!
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 pm

There's a guy who advertises regularly on armslist and FGT, ''Want to buy old broken guns, etc.'' Ostensibly, he's learning gunsmithing. Must have a PhD, as he's been dong it for years.
NRA Endowment Member
PhD from University of Hard Knocks

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Skoll wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:51 pm
Cloaked Dagger wrote:
I mean, most criminals are stupid but a lot of inner cities do this exact same thing and most of what they get back are "hot" guns or peoples old, neglected barely functional firearms. It's nothing new.
Well I think hot guns are what these things are actually supposed to be after since those are the guns that someone might actually commit clinal violence with. I bet they mostly hey the broken neglected ones rather than hot guns but I could be wrong. Anyone got statistics on this?
Libertas aut mortis!

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:00 pm
Skoll wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:51 pm
Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Well I think hot guns are what these things are actually supposed to be after since those are the guns that someone might actually commit clinal violence with. I bet they mostly hey the broken neglected ones rather than hot guns but I could be wrong. Anyone got statistics on this?
Yeah, that would be the prevailing logic; get murder weapons off the street with a monetary incentive but I'm sure your average criminal would just view it as dumping evidence since it's all anonymous. I'm not even sure if they do statistics on this besides "we recovered x amount of weapons".

pokeeejoe
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pokeeejoe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:26 pm

I expect it would be easy enough to ruin the rifling badly enough to destroy any possibility of matching ballistic evidence from an open case. A minute or so of grinding the bore with a chainsaw file chucked in a drill motor would probably do it.

regards,
Joe

GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:35 pm

Do we KNOW if they even DO any ballistic testing on these guns? Maybe I need to throw a folding table and an "I'll pay you more than they will" sign in the back of the pick-em-up and run up to Kissimmee!

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:10 am

Studies have shown the only effect of these gun buybacks is a short term increase in local gun sales! Zero effects on crime, violence, anything else.

When cops ran these without much supervision, back in the day, they looked on them as a way to enhance the gun collections of their selves and their friends. One friend, in Baltimore, loaded so many buyback firearms in his station wagon the springs bottomed out.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:36 am

Pipe Dreaming

Do the police run the serial number? When they find a reported serial number as stolen do they make EVERY attempt to return the stolen property?

Yeah, right what was I thinking.

[smilie=011.gif]
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:35 am

So someone reported this to Facebook as violating their terms of service because it “describes buying or selling drugs, guns, or other regulated products” and now it appears to have been removed. [smilie=011.gif]
Libertas aut mortis!

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:19 pm

REDinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 pm
There's a guy who advertises regularly on armslist and FGT, ''Want to buy old broken guns, etc.'' Ostensibly, he's learning gunsmithing. Must have a PhD, as he's been dong it for years.
Ive posted similar ad's on armslist and FGT (and here as well). Some people like projects. Tinkering with, fixing/repairing, and refinishing old cheap guns is cheaper than a "moderate" drinking habit... :ber

Come to think of it, I could probably use another project or two myself, have a bit of free time these days :-k