Service organizations not changing with the times

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Service organizations not changing with the times

Post by jwillgym » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:14 am

Well, tonight I pissed everyone off at the Fleet reserve meeting when I told them to look around at the attendees of the meeting and note that they all had gray hair. Furthermore, that they along with the American Legion, Masons, moose club etc., will no longer exist if they don't change with the times and offer younger people a reason to join. I was pretty much told that they do just fine as-is and I was out of line. What are your thoughts on getting the younger generation involved?
IYAOYAS

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Service organizations not changing with the times

Post by flcracker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:16 am

Help this gray-in-the-beard-but-not-on-the-head youngster understand how the Moose, Elks, American Legion, etc. fall under the heading of "service" organizations rather than simply being clubs for people who don't want to drink with the general masses, and I might be interested in joining.

Seriously - the only coherent argument for joining one of these clubs that has ever been presented to me is that drinks are cheap, you can smoke in the bar, and "they don't let just anybody join". :-k
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:43 am

The younger generation is obsessed with "all inclusive", so I don't think a private club like Elks Lodge would appeal to them at all, since it's by definition exclusive.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:00 am

First you have to get the young guys to marry, then they will want to stay away from home once the wife gets fat from kids and stuffing their face.
Or they have to divorce once or twice and find a place to cry with other like minded guys who are broke.

Without that the young guys have no reason to stay away from home. It's the life cycle of Manis Homoerectus.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 am

Water Rat wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:00 am
First you have to get the young guys to marry, then they will want to stay away from home once the wife gets fat from kids and stuffing their face.
Or they have to divorce once or twice and find a place to cry with other like minded guys who are broke.

Without that the young guys have no reason to stay away from home. It's the life cycle of Manis Homoerectus.
Gotta get them out of Mom's basement to marry first.
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

bmup
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bmup » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:18 am

flcracker wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:16 am

Seriously - the only coherent argument for joining one of these clubs that has ever been presented to me is that drinks are cheap, you can smoke in the bar, and "they don't let just anybody join". :-k
...and this is a bad thing?

Actually, I've been thinking about joining because I know a lot of folks there already, but it just seems like I don't have the time yet. Maybe next year after I retire... but that makes me one of the gray hairs doesn't it? In any case, I like drinking beer cheap but don't like drinking cheap beer.
Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.
-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:36 am

If I'm going out drinking without my wife, I want to look at women other than my wife...why would I want to hang out with a bunch of other dudes? [smilie=011.gif]

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 am

I like to drink my beer in pubs where you know the regulars, but you never know who the next fruitcake or hottie to walk through the door will be - keeps it interesting. However, I'm now at the point where I like to drink in pubs, but I find it hard to justify spending $7 on a pint of craft beer when I can buy my favorite craft beer at Publix in a 4-pack of pints for under $10. $7/pint vs. $2.50/pint... :-k those regulars, fruitcakes, and hotties aren't THAT fun and interesting. [-(
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:00 am

The notion of "community" does not exist with my millenial generation and the ones that came after it.

Organizations cannot address the issue, because it's not possible to resolve it. Easier to pretend it's not happening. The internet killed things that people don't even realize are dead yet.

jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwillgym » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 am

I think you have a point there Mr. Zeebaron. Some of the folks did say the younger generation would just rather stay home with their computer.
The service, in service organization... Most of the ones I belong to sponsor boy/girl scouts,veteran hospital transportation/visits and community projects. One I belong to in North Carolina sponsors 4H and even built a fairgrounds that the 4H and county fair use. I would say that's providing community service.
IYAOYAS

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:14 am

I'd start by asking what the charter & objectives of those traditional orgs. are. If they want to "adapt to the times..." they might see their membership rise. Otherwise, i see them fading away.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:31 pm

in the old days organizations like Masons, Shriners, Knights of Columbus etc were service, but still social organizations, those days of the perks like hob knobing to get a good job or reference are long gone. Even service based like scouts, pet orgs, and sheriff's volunteers are select in nature and not centered around drinking, but still the younger generation is too busy and not retired and not able to participate as much when you have to drag kids to karate, ballet and dance classes on weeknights, now add events on the weekends and Soccer and flag football and stuff gets in the way
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

armedpolak
Life Member
Life Member

Post by armedpolak » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:55 pm

zeebaron wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:00 am
The notion of "community" does not exist with my millenial generation and the ones that came after it.

Organizations cannot address the issue, because it's not possible to resolve it. Easier to pretend it's not happening. The internet killed things that people don't even realize are dead yet.
you can thank multiculturalism for that ](*,)

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Older, retired men seem to be on non-stop power-trips from my experience.

I'm all too happy to help people. Give people rides, volunteer at food banks, help neighbors fix their fences.

Ask me to join another organization run by a guy on social security with a God-complex because he can say, "back in my day". No thanks.
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:36 pm

Orlando Paulitician wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm all too happy to help people. Give people rides, volunteer at food banks, help neighbors fix their fences.

Ask me to join another organization run by a guy on social security with a God-complex because he can say, "back in my day". No thanks.
Get off my lawn!
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:11 pm

This.

I got into ham radio and promptly stopped transmitting because of the old asshats on powertrips. Same with riding, I ride a sportbike but I am not a squid so I don't get along with most sport riders. Tried riding with a group of older guys and got yelled at four times on my first ride for the dumbest shite.

Mid 40's for reference.
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:54 am

Synaptic Misfire wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:11 pm

This.

I got into ham radio and promptly stopped transmitting because of the old asshats on powertrips. Same with riding, I ride a sportbike but I am not a squid so I don't get along with most sport riders. Tried riding with a group of older guys and got yelled at four times on my first ride for the dumbest shite.

Mid 40's for reference.
My experience with similar organizations has been 100% a similar failure. The only active members all want to be chiefs and they chase away the Indians. I guess it worked, was tolerable, back in the days when they had a very large number of members, but they've dwindled so much that the power trip types are about all that's left.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

wsitgm

Post by wsitgm » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:53 am

The power trips are usually taken by those who had no control in their lives prior to retirement. Those that had it, don't need or want it in retirement. Just watch the boards of all these Home Owner Associations. Hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Synaptic Misfire wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:11 pm

I got into ham radio and promptly stopped transmitting because of the old asshats on powertrips.
I know people who aren't licensed but have a lot of radio equipment, they get off trying to troll the radio gods, constantly engaging them, egging them on to notify the FCC and try and find them etc....some of the best call signs UR2ASS, W4WTF, Z9GTFO etc..etc.....some of the stories are hilarious

Ham Radio Nazis.......... [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 pm

I think you guys are onto something. 10-ish years ago I joined the neighborhood CERT Community Emergency Response Team. The first speed bump was a local fire department who had to follow the direction of the city manager and city council to develop a CERT team but did not want to have civilians involved in their fiefdom. At some point I was asked to be the leader / chairman president or whatever. It took about 3 weeks after that before a couple of folks in their 40s who were living off of disability started swinging there Richards and Virginias, in preparation for their future run for City Council. The BS that got shoved back towards me took me about 2 more weeks to say screw this I'm out of here. There are way too many people who are able to spend their day being activist and busybodies because you and I are going to work making sure that they get their check and have free time during the day while we are going back and forth to the J O B