How can anyone afford to rent any more?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
dammitgriff

Re: How can anyone afford to rent any more?

Post by dammitgriff » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:56 pm

Firemedic, what you say is absolutely true but it takes tons of money to maintain your home, and many homeowners are living check-to-check. Renters don’t give a crap about a house they don’t own, so no surprise there.
I’ll add that a majority of working-age Americans have less than $5000 in savings.
R/Griff

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:23 pm

dammitgriff wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:29 pm
Hey Rentprop—
You left out the fact that housing is in yet another bubble (overvalued) and interest rates are rising even as real median household incomes adjusted for inflation have stagnated over the last 25-40 years.
Tell me, how much money does a person have to make per year to be able to afford a Florida home with a median price of over $220,000?
R/Griff
I was never a mortgage broker so I can't really answer your last question....

With regards to the housing bubble and overvalued properties the interest rates are still a lot lower than they were at 12 and 13% in the early 90s during the first Gulf War people bought lots of homes during that time.... what's changed is a lot of the rules with FHA and VA in first-time home purchasers they favor the actual buyer and the seller is the one that gets crippled especially if it's investor-owned property hence why I got out of the business years ago
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:07 pm

dammitgriff wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:56 pm
I’ll add that a majority of working-age Americans have less than $5000 in savings.
As wages have not been keeping up with inflation, and housing has, the gathering of a down payment of a home is more difficult than it has been since the 1970s. That means rentals are more in demand and the price will go up. I don't know how people can afford it, but I also don't know how people can afford cigarettes or shooting $100 worth of ammo a week. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:00 am

dammitgriff wrote:
Firemedic, what you say is absolutely true but it takes tons of money to maintain your home, and many homeowners are living check-to-check. Renters don’t give a crap about a house they don’t own, so no surprise there.
R/Griff

This is one of those late night long posts [smilie=011.gif]

Your right in that area. I dare say not even near that much. People have s tendency to want more than they can afford and instead of having any savings at all. Most are credit card poor. In debt up the wazoo with zero savings.

I read some place that 80 or 90 percent of Americans could not come up with 1000.00 in an emergency situation. I believe that the life styles of the rich and famous they see on TV, the I want it now attitude, the AMAZON generation and the buy buy buy marketing that's hammered into their brains since birth watching TV.

You know those commercials that show a man buying his wife or girlfriend a diamond for that special occasion. It makes those that don't look like pos if they don't. It's adds like this and others that play on people and trigger emotional buying. Weather they can afford it or not. Again screw saving money why should they. I could die tomorrow attitude. I want it now. Keeping up with my buddy that is doing well.

Plus if they do buy a home. Alot lose those homes because they some how get something they can't afford in the first place. Then realize they gotta mow the grass, wash it just do maintenance when they want to be out partying. Oh wait I have a mortgage now. I just can't move to another apt if I screw here and don't pay. I seen this happen.

Their momma sits them in front of the TV as babies to keep them quite and exposes them to all the marketing as children. It kinda hardwired their brains to buy as they grow up. Their friends will buy something. So as not to be left out. They'll forgo their water bill or electric bill maybe and buy it also.

Screw saving money. They think why should I. They way things are going today with this screwed up world. Maybe it never crosses their mines. Maybe they have no goals in life. Other than getting high, getting laid and just getting by. Years ago I was head accounts manager at Aarons Rental Purchase. I ran the accounts/collections office.

You'd not believe the number, types of people that use these places. Most were good people and there were home owners that bought there especially during super bowl or other big events. Then they returned the hugh Tv's [smilie=011.gif] I did not stay there long. I was not me. Not a good fit. I stayed a year. I thought they were looking for an accounting manager not collections manager. They lied in their ad.

The renters were the worst people to deal with. They lived pay check to pay check. With what these apt complexes charged for rent today. At a nice complex nothing fancy is stupid. Then add in the section 8 criminals. Yes most of them are criminals/thugs. You can have the greatest most nice area and the moment they arrive. Crime moves in with them. Crime is color coded for the most part to. Sorry the truth hurts.

I believe that if people WANT TO LIVE IN AN ALL WHITE OR ALL BLACK or whatever color area. They should have that right to do so. To force people to live with people they do not want to live around in a crime to me. Call me a bad person. I've seen it way to many times. I've seen it happen where I live. I personally do not want to live around anyone but white people. Does that make bad.

How about these black people that want the same exact thing. That want to live and associate only with blacks. They'll build them entire communities if they want to do this and not attack the blacks for banishing all other races. Instead they will phrase them. :-k

There were almost zero people of a certain race when I moved where I live in South Hillsborough. But when the housing market crashed and they had to do something with those empty homes they RENTED THEM and SECTION 8 RENTERS from the projects came. Tampa's idea of how to get rid of their problem was to move them to South Hillsborough. Crime went up. Along with the trash being thrown in the streets, dumping along the road ways ect.....

Perfect example, I notice McDonald trash in my yard and along the road way leading towards the marina. I live on a dead end street on a Peninsula. Every day I noticed this trash being thrown out onto the street. I'd pick it up and put it in the trash can of who's ever can was by the road.

ASK a few neighbors wtf is going on. I mean we're not talking about just a bag or two. This guy I don't think knew the meaning of trash can. He'd throw it into my yard several times a week. All down the road. We keep our little stretch of rd way clean. It's not very long.

This POS was throwing it into his neighbors yards instead of taking it home and putting it into his trash can. He was easy to find. Was walking the dog early one morning and he drove by me and about 50 yrs in front of me. Out the car window he threw his bag of trash. I saw his car. I carried my dog back to the house. Went back and picked up his trash and walk to his APARTMENT/DUPLEX HE WAS RENTING FROM THE NICK THE GUY THAT OWN THE DUPLEX NEXT TO ME. I threw his garbage into his yard.

He saw me and came. He was a black guy. The very first one that's ever lived on the point in my 22 years of living here. We got into an argument. Said something I will not mention. Told him call L.E. if he wanted. But at one point I said his butt could disappear to if wasn't careful that he was screwing with the wrong people here. I asked the guy why he just did not put his trash in the trash bin. He said he'd throw it out where F he wanted to. I lost it at that point. Will not say what I said or felt like doing. I did ask him if he liked fishing though [smilie=011.gif]

Told him if threw garbage out again myself and a few other were going to have a problem with his ass. Somethings happened later and long story short he moved away. Hey all he had to do was be respectful of people. That's what we told Nick who owned the PROPERTY and that if he did not want this renters garbage saved and dumped in his yard he better handle or we would. This guy was throwing ALL OF HIS GARBAGE INTO PEOPLE'S YARDS AND INTO THE ROAD ON THE POINT.

Had one renter call the cops on me once. They told S.O. I threaten to blow his head off. For asking him to stop cranking revving his loud ass bike at 3am in the morning just to screw with everyone. I denied those allegations. He wreck that bike. It malfunctioned on him. [smilie=011.gif] and no I did not touch it. [-(

Always...always...stupid renters that have zero respect for the neighborhood or their neighbors. Now even though they may be renting. It's still their home in my mind and to me they should treat it as such. I've mowed and Tom across the street has mowed the grass on that property next to me because their lazy asses won't do it. But when my wife carried their trash can out to the curb, we're talking just 15 ft and the trash bin even has wheels on it because it was over flowing with their garbage spilling onto the ground.

That crosses the line with me. My wife is in her sixties these are young in their 30 adults. They are so sorry they cant....or won't even take out there own garbage. They'll just let it fill up and spill out on the ground instead of just rolling it 15 ft to the curb. That goes beyond sorry. Plus they have a hugh dog. Instead of taking it out to pee out s';t. They let it s';t and pee on the deck and then hose it off on to the common walkway/yard. Then they walk barefooted on the deck. Never have I ever seen them walk this dog. Take it off that 8x12 deck.

Thank God they are moving. Like I said when it was just the girl she was clean organized ect...but she met and married this POS scum that turned her home into a dump. She'll end up regretting thst marriage I bet.

Remember that house we own on the other side of the rental property. When my wife put up the for sale by owner sign. Not a day later. She was walking our dog and right there on the dock and walking around the house was two black men on bicycles thst lived I guess up the road and have to be some of those section 8 renters. She asked them what heck they were doing. They replied...the homes for sale by owner. She said yeah and so. The only answer they kept giving her was it was for sale by owner. Until she said she was the owner. They then jumped on their bikes and took off.

They were there to see what they could steal. I put up motion sensors. If anybody steps foot on that property I'll know it. We live on the other side of the rental property. [smilie=011.gif] a suppressed .22 with a thermal scope makes no sound. Thanks RENT :ber

I told her never ever confront anybody again like that. To come back home and get me. I told her those F'ing scum could have hit her in the head and drug her back behind that shed and raped and murdered her. Do not ever confront grown men again by her self. Especially two black thugs riding bicycles and knowing they are there scoping the house. If they are doing that she had to know they were pos and could have done anything. ](*,)

But the run of the mill average renter from my experience are worthless and I'd not trust them to be at my home in no shape or form. Because people like that always think that homeowners have more than them and would not hesitate in borrowing what you have. Putting it politely. Rent and Mike I bit could tell you some horror stories about renters

I'm hurting like hell right now and have to get up and move around. Man I'd not wish this kind of pain on anyone. I have never in my life hurt like this. Take an ice pick stab it into your shoulders and twist them around and back and forth.

That's the best I can describe it. It's hard to sleep because when you do. Laying still in one spot for a period of time while sleeping. Your limbs such as your fingers feel as if they are swelling and start to throb. Then the pain moves up the arm into your joints in the shoulders. Very specific in the same spot. I know this will eventually stop. It's alot better than it was before surgery [smilie=011.gif] believe it or not.

But being the super tough not complaining to anyone at home or even the doctors. Because whining, crying, moaning and acting like an invilcil will not HELP anything or anyone. It'll just make you look weak and incompetent, unable to take care of yourself. Believe me, you do not want my wife believing your hurting to the point you can't fend for yourself.

She will be all over me. Up, down, lay here, there, don't do this, that ect...ect... ect....can I do this for you. Can I do that honey. You stay right there. Bless her heart you will take care of me and that's not the problem. She'll worry to much. She'll think the world is ending. [smilie=011.gif]

She owns an accounting business and it's tax season right now. The last thing she needs is to have to be worrying about me and then all of her client's work getting done right. She needs to stay focused on her work. Now if it were any other time of the year. I'd be eating this pity thing up. But not now [smilie=011.gif]
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:05 am

firemedic2000 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:00 am
dammitgriff wrote:
R/Griff

This is one of those late night long posts [smilie=011.gif]

Your right in that area. I dare say not even near that much. People have s tendency to want more than they can afford and instead of having any savings at all. Most are credit card poor. In debt up the wazoo with zero savings.

I read some place that 80 or 90 percent of Americans could not come up with 1000.00 in an emergency situation. I believe that the life styles of the rich and famous they see on TV, the I want it now attitude, the AMAZON generation and the buy buy buy marketing that's hammered into their brains since birth watching TV. .....
I wouldn't blame it all on that because I saw it in action 50+ years ago before everyone's eyes were glued to a screen of some sort 24/7. Most people do not seem able to think ahead, are unable to control themselves enough to pass on immediate gratification in favor of a long term plan for life. They'll ignore their immediate past, buy stuff they want, and then sell, pawn or have it repossessed at the first financial problem. They'll spend on drink, cigarettes and entertainment instead of saving it for the inevitable emergency, and them whine and complain because it "wasn't their fault" even though it was completely predictable. And then they'll vote for any politician who promises to take care of them when they screw up, have money problems, or borrow more than they can pay off. This attitude goes all the way up the income scale, even to those fortunate enough to make what should be a good living, but blow it all by using their good credit to borrow to the hilt because they can't resist buying what they want but don't really need.

For example, when we got a large insurance settlement I went to the credit union to deposit it and arrange a funds transfer to pay off our mortgage. Because of the size the manager had to approve it and she commented that: "It's very unusual for someone to pay off a debt like this. Usually they'll go out and buy an expensive car instead."

Speaking for myself, I've structured my whole life to avoid any financial pressures. It included working mainly to qualify for an inflation adjusted pension and permanent subsidized health insurance. With that as a basis, since paying off all mortgages and never allowing any credit card debt to accumulate, paying it 100% every month, we have a lot of money in savings, can afford everything that fits our somewhat frugal tastes, and NO MONEY WORRIES!

"Go thou and do likewise."
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

dammitgriff

How can anyone afford to rent any more?

Post by dammitgriff » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:10 am

You left out the part where government takes some of your money and denies you the use of it for your own personal benefit.
It’s almost as if the government is promoting this welfare mentality...wait, they are.
A critical mass of American citizens are now dependent on some form of government welfarism, whether it be Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid, Section 8/VA/FHA housing subsidies, and over 2,200 other programs that provide subsidies to Americans.
Long gone are the days of small government and the rugged individualism that built the U.S.
The moral of this story? America gets the government it deserves. And it will continue to get much worse as long as the welfare lasts, which I suspect will be when less than half of America is working to support the entire system. Like Lorena Bobbitt once said, it won’t be long now.
R/Griff

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 am

dammitgriff wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:10 am
A critical mass of American citizens are now dependent on some form of government welfarism, whether it be Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid, . . .
I am sure glad you recognize Social Security and Medicare as part of the Welfare system; so many people complain about Welfare, but then get angry when you talk about ending Social Security and Medicare.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 am

Cardboard_killer wrote:
dammitgriff wrote:
A critical mass of American citizens are now dependent on some form of government welfarism, whether it be Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid, . . .
I am sure glad you recognize Social Security and Medicare as part of the Welfare system; so many people complain about Welfare, but then get angry when you talk about ending Social Security and Medicare.
It’s a sensitive subject that I’ve written a lot about, and discovered most Americans suffer from cognitive dissonance when it comes to welfare.
R/Griff

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am

dammitgriff wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 am
Cardboard_killer wrote:
dammitgriff wrote:
It’s a sensitive subject that I’ve written a lot about, and discovered most Americans suffer from cognitive dissonance when it comes to welfare.
R/Griff
Yes, some level of socialism is almost universally embraced by Americans. All the fighting is over the margins.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:50 pm

tector wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am
dammitgriff wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 am
Cardboard_killer wrote:
dammitgriff wrote:
R/Griff
Yes, some level of socialism is almost universally embraced by Americans. All the fighting is over the margins.
Road building and maintenance. Public schools. The Military. etc...